Sign in to follow this  
JD Numismatic Corp

2013 Trains of South Africa Tickey Mint Errors

JD Numismatic Corp    10
JD Numismatic Corp

The SA-Mint have made a huge mistake this year. They have minted two different types of 2013 Train Tickey's. The one Tickey have a smooth edge as to the specifications and the other Tickey have a reeded edge. How the error happened can only be speculated. The collar die of the 1/10 Nature coin have not been removed from the press before minting of the Tickey have started. According to information that has been gathered, all the DBN Show Tickey's have reeded edges. Some of the JHB Show Tickeys have also got reeded edges. There were reeded edges Tickey's found in the Train Combo sets also. If one can try to do a rough figure I would say there is around +/- 500 reeded edge Tickey's in some peoples collections. This type of error does not happen every day. I have already informed NGC and they are going to grade two varieties of these Tickey's this year. The varieties will be Reeded Edge and Smooth Edge. The most valuable Tickey in this error of "reeded edge" will be the ones that were sold at SA-Mint Coin World. The Tickey without any overstamp on it. There will only be about 100 or less of them out there. The mint can't confirm how many of the errors have been minted, because they didn't know about it until JD Numismatic Corporation brought it under their attention and also informed Glen Schoeman at SAAND.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4745[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]4746[/ATTACH]

SA COINAGE    10
SA COINAGE

Edited by SA COINAGE

PBGold    10
PBGold

Well spotted Juan, has there been any new news from the Mint's side regarding this?

In my view both versions will be worth a little more, as collectors will have to have both. I mean, how can you only own one version?

This will probably be the next product to be sold out at the Mint.