Sign in to follow this  
Takayo

Is Selling or Buying Ivory Legal?

Takayo    10
Takayo

Some pieces claim to be antiques but do not provide dates or further proof that they were not produced recently.

My question is related to this item: Antique Jewellery - Stunning Sterling Sliver Genuine Ivory Necklace for sale in Johannesburg (ID:110336950)

I have seen another ivory item that had marking stating that it was made before a law made it illegal to sell or trade ivory items, but I would like more information please.

I have looked everywhere in the FAQ and help articles under buying and selling but cannot find any information on banned items. Is there somewhere I can find what is not allowed to be sold or traded on BidorBuy?

Thank you!

Little Miss Muffet    20
Little Miss Muffet

I am totally against the culling of elephants for their ivory--or any other animal.

The item you refer to is an old piece.What purpose would it serve to dump the jewellery. The deed is done and the item may as well be used whether it is old or new.

I don.t think there is any rule on Bob that says ivory may not be sold.

Edited by geewhizz

voldermort    10
voldermort
I am totally against the culling of elephants for their ivory--or any other animal.

The item you refer to is an old piece.What purpose would it serve to dump the jewellery. The deed is done and the item may as well be used whether it is old or new.

Exactly - while hunting animals for ivory/fur etc is no longer something that the majority of people will endure, it is utterly senseless to throw away these items that were manufactured in a time when people saw things differently.

Pierre_Henri    14
Pierre_Henri
Exactly - while hunting animals for ivory/fur etc is no longer something that the majority of people will endure, it is utterly senseless to throw away these items that were manufactured in a time when people saw things differently.

I agree 100%

Guest Guest   
Guest Guest

Totally agree....

qball    11
qball

The sale of ivory (tusks) is illegal. However, I believe this does not extend to antiques and vintage items. These were manufactured, produced etc. prior to any ban on the sale of ivory. I think it's up to the consumer to decide if they wish to purchase such items.

Depot Three    10
Depot Three

Ivory selling

Raw Ivory has restrictions. Cities Certificates are required if not 1947 or earlier. Carved or Worked Ivory can be sold, but needs cities certification, if you want to export it. If it is pre 1920, it may be exported. This also applies to other items, such a Leopard skins, Knife handles, crocodile, Rhino Horn and other such items. The idea behind these laws are to "limit unlawful trade and killing" of the animals.

If you feel your purchasing or selling such items, leads to poaching and illegal trade, then do not trade. Others though are legally able to continue until the laws change. Mammoth Tusk has no restriction...strangely enough, because limiting the dealing will not affect their extinction...and they were a man made extinction!

Real ivory is still traded despite a ban on ebay under "Faux Ivory" or imitation ivory, but the prices asked denote if it is real or not...So a "Legal" black market exists on ebay. Though the ban on ebay is self imposed.

Kind regards etc.

david

Iris Gibson    10
Iris Gibson
Some pieces claim to be antiques but do not provide dates or further proof that they were not produced recently.

My question is related to this item: Antique Jewellery - Stunning Sterling Sliver Genuine Ivory Necklace for sale in Johannesburg (ID:110336950)

I have seen another ivory item that had marking stating that it was made before a law made it illegal to sell or trade ivory items, but I would like more information please.

I have looked everywhere in the FAQ and help articles under buying and selling but cannot find any information on banned items. Is there somewhere I can find what is not allowed to be sold or traded on BidorBuy?

Thank you![/ Selling / buying ivory may not be illegal , but it is in poor taste.QUOTE]

Little Miss Muffet    20
Little Miss Muffet

Thank you![/ Selling / buying ivory may not be illegal , but it is in poor taste.QUOTE]

If you have ivory for sale someone may be able to date it if you post some images here.

If you list it and someone protests Bob may ban the ivory but will not ban you.:rolleyes:

Free Soul Styles    10
Free Soul Styles

That would be me.

I sell a few ivory pieces on my site. As far as i have been told, small pieces for jewelry are in fact allowed to be sold online/offline provided the piece is not being sold out of the country. So i cannot sell any ivory to USA, Europe etc. Selling Elephant tusks is a different story.

jogesel    10
jogesel

"I am totally against the culling of elephants for their ivory--or any other animal."

"Exactly - while hunting animals for ivory/fur etc is no longer something that the majority of people will endure."

Isn't this all rather political correct and hipocriitical? Why not also give up your steak and biltong, leather jackets and shoes.

Lets discuss this issue while eating a juicy steak. I guess the cow wasn't killed for it's meat.

Animals are killed everyday for their products - so shouldn't all animal products be restricted just as ivory is?

Why single out some products and not others?

Little Miss Muffet    20
Little Miss Muffet
"I am totally against the culling of elephants for their ivory--or any other animal."

"Exactly - while hunting animals for ivory/fur etc is no longer something that the majority of people will endure."

Isn't this all rather political correct and hipocriitical? Why not also give up your steak and biltong, leather jackets and shoes.

Lets discuss this issue while eating a juicy steak. I guess the cow wasn't killed for it's meat.

Animals are killed everyday for their products - so shouldn't all animal products be restricted just as ivory is?

Why single out some products and not others?

Elephants are an endangered species and their life span is 60-70 years compared to cows who have a life span of 20 years.

Cows were meant for human consumption.

Guest Guest   
Guest Guest

Real human skulls ,animal bones and ivory for sale

I do have in stock,some real human skulls and bones which we intend giving them out for sale at affordable prices . Interested persons can get in touch via unknownlovers001@gmail.com . Worldwide shipping service available!!! Contact unknownlovers001@gmail.com for inquiries .[ATTACH=CONFIG]5247[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]5248[/ATTACH]