Sign in to follow this  
thebestcollections

Packing Goods

thebestcollections

Hi,

We are new on bid or buy and getting good response as we tried to put quality products at reasonable price. However, as started from home, we don't have any experience for packing. Can any of the seasoned sellers help us regarding this (packing material and the art of packing products) as our experience as buyer shows that whatsoever product you buy the packing you get is reasonable good independent of the quality of the product in it.

Just Beachin

Welcome! The best packaging is with a lot of tape, filler and cardboard. It should be able to support the weight of a 120- 200kg postal worker. I like to recycle:biggrin:

Not1CentMore

What Just Beachin said.

Bubble wrap and more bubble wrap, peanuts / shredded paper / 'air bags' and packed in a sturdy container with tape, tape, tape. Ya never know what a Postal employee, with too much time on their hands, might do with it....

soccer_32_zps80b8249b.gif PING_P13_zpsd05d1213.gif golf5_zpsb2c42130.gif boxing_24_zps0f095195.gif

Ruthie

svw
Welcome! The best packaging is with a lot of tape, filler and cardboard. It should be able to support the weight of a 120- 200kg postal worker. I like to recycle:biggrin:

Way to go 'Just Beachin' - just the type of answer I would expect from you :nuts:....

I also like to recycle but minus the postal worker! Collect old boxes from the local supermarket making sure to choose ones that are not too thick - large ones are best then you can trim them down and make your own boxes - keeping the printed side on the inside. While stocking up on your boxes at the local 'super' see if there are any apple boxes lying around the bubble wrap that is inside is also a pretty good score for those breakables. Good Luck and happy wrapping...

Just Beachin

Boxed wine boxes are particularly sturdy and can be cut down to various sizes!:bigsmile:

svw
Boxed wine boxes are particularly sturdy and can be cut down to various sizes!:bigsmile:

What a good idea...dual purpose - empty contents first then recycle :weird::wtf::blink:

NooNooBug

As already mentioned lots of tape...no such thing as too much tape ! Also as for Post Office "rules" they don't like any printing on outside, so either you will learn (like most of us) to turn a box inside out or you will have the added expense of good old brown paper (Pep always have) Good source of nice clean boxes would be stationery shops / office wholesalers as they don't reuse for packing that often ! Also electrical wholesalers...usually get a bonus piece of bubble wrap stuffed in. Shredded paper is very useful, and shiny junk mail, as newsprint gives off black ink. Also remember odd shaped / larger items of low weight will cost you more to post than their weight due to the new volumetric calculations so watch out for that. If it is fragile try give a double layer of cardboard around your bubble wrapped and cushioned item (use those trimmed off cuts from the wine box you cut down to add a layer !).

Just Beachin

I also use the brown paper bag that foodlovers market supplies for their rolls, saves me a fortune in brown paper:blink1:I really like to recycle!

XTRADE

Bubble wrap, cardboard and lots of tape goes together like battery and torch. I also make sure items inside boxes are packed so that they don't move around. Never know when parcels are used as soccer balls.

I use some security tape on all my items. Its expensive but my customers will notice tampering a whole lot easier. I recommend to my customer not to accept any parcel if they suspect any tampering on the items.

NooNooBug
...I use some security tape on all my items. Its expensive but my customers will notice tampering a whole lot easier. I recommend to my customer not to accept any parcel if they suspect any tampering on the items.

Like that idea ! Think I'll pinch it !!

Little Miss Muffet

IMG_3942.jpg.555220f16f2bf7ed9a81e2499126a93d.jpgExcuse the mess in the background but this is what my house looks like when I am busy with a number of parcels.

This is Amber our African child.She loves boxes but this is rather a bad choice.

If anyone finds a flea in their parcel don't blame me:bigsmile:

YiaYia1

Look like she is waiting to be wrapped up.... Will send address for delivery

Guest Guest

I usually pack in the envelopes they sell at the post office, the have from size 0 up to size 7, bubble wrap envelopes, when those are out of stock I use the recycled ones, also avail from the post office. Then wrap tightly, and as all say, loads of tape!! Buying them in bulk now. (Laughs) :cheesy:

Xarchitex

Most of my items are tiny, but I don't trust these PO guys. So everything goes into a Box. The best ones I found are the Post Ofiice's Easi Post Box (sic)

- The small one is R6.95. I can fill it up with probably 10 of my most popular items, so shipping is usually free for any additional item. Because of the exact dimensions printed on the box, the box qualifies for Econopost, which is R21.50 a parcel. So I'm charging R30 for shipping.

So by using a brand new box, and filling it with shredded paper / bubblewrap or air pockets (?), the customers REALLY give good ratings :)