Sign in to follow this  
me9za

New seller, how to get people to buy?

me9za

Without ratings and all, I see its going to be hard to sell on bid or buy. :(. Lol how do people actually build a customer base? Or should I just hang in there.

IsmailTM
Without ratings and all, I see its going to be hard to sell on bid or buy. :(. Lol how do people actually build a customer base? Or should I just hang in there.

Get verified Firstly, make specials also if you lose little money people get aware of your goods and services.

Not1CentMore

Perhaps bid/win a few auctions from Sellers in good 'standing' (look at their ratings) to get some positive feedback 'under your belt' and sell a few items... even if at cost or below cost. You may go 'upside down' (lose money) the first few sales, but with good items, good prices, prompt shipping and good communication with your Buyer (customer service), it will 'pay off in the end'.

Ruthie

me9za

Wow sounds like a long walk

ATA STAMP CENTRE

Hope u did not think it would be a walk in the park?

Like everything in life success needs a little bit of work.

Whether it is uphill or downhill depends on yourself!

All the best and persevere.

neil

Not1CentMore

It is what you make it.

I cannot speak for other Sellers, but given the time difference this corner of the flat map, I live, eat and sleep on BoB. Simply put, my laptop is another appendage. Just like my arms and legs, it goes everywhere I go. About the only time I am not on BoB re-doing / updating listings, Forum, sourcing new items, checking stock levels, ordering, re-ordering, etc., is when I am in the 'little girl's room' or throwing food at my son (and that is only if the food MUST be served on a plate or in a bowl).

Whether one has a 'stick and mortar' shop, sells online, goes to shows / events or does all, it takes HARD work to make, and keep, the business a success.

Ruthie

JANDS

If you want to build a castle, don't count the bricks, just start laying them.

I went to see what you have for sale. Three items will get you lost in a plethora of products, especially art. Make an effort to list at least 1 item a day and throw in a few R1-00 Auctions.

I am not going to wish you luck because this is not luck, it is perseverance with thought.

I will however wish you a good day.

Kind regards,

Jan.

Vinyl Lady Decals

A lot of hard work and dedication and you must make customer satisfaction a priority.

mrmouse

add a few non essentials on youre listing , interesting stuff but cheap , look at specials at local shops buy items and add them , make 10 bucks but dont get greedy ,there is a market for everything, if price is right and mail cheap you will sell ,people online dont just buy because they need it they just buy , target the quick moving things like so many do with stuff from the chinese market , look at what major retailers sell and try to get it cheaper on specials add afew rand and resell. loads of people dont have easy access to shops and a weekly trip to the post is easy for them, also remember its easy to sell 5000 R1 items and make R500 profit but not easy to sell 1 R5000 item and make R500 profit .it all depends if you want to sell loads of cheap goods or small quantitys of upmarket things .also depends on how much time you want to waste packing 2000 cheap R1 items and making SAPO rich.

Edited by mrmouse

NooNooBug

All good advice ! It is a one small step at a time business...it wont happen overnight, it takes time for the first sale, just be patient, as it could take months to get that all too precious first sale...as said above, start listing more, if you are constantly adding, you will get noticed and it is then only a matter of time for a sale. If you wish to make a go of it you need to spend time on BoB, all aspects, look through listings to see how others do things, get a feel for it. Visit the forum regularly so you can learn & ask ...I only joined the forum after selling for a few months but only became active recently(like a year later !)...mistake on my part coz I would have learnt so much by having been here sooner ! All the best, it can be frustrating at times but there are those customers that just make it so worthwhile !

svw

Your category you are selling in 'art / directly from the artist'. In order to gain a bit more exposure you could do what a few others have suggested and increase your listing exposure by adding in other items. If it were me I would focus on initially adding items that would relate to the art - household - soft furnishings - office etc - you also need to include a link to your other items in the listing, this way you can pay for one listing and get it to work for you in return - premium listings are very expensive so you should also look at category and priority listings. Another thing to do is have a look at and shadow for a bit the top sellers with good ratings - especially in your category that you are advertising in and see how they present their stuff - how long they run a listing for in order to gain exposure - how long it takes for them to sell an item - how much they sell in a month and their ratings - this should give you a pretty good overall picture of selling on 'bob'

NooNooBug

Hi again

Had a look at your listings and wanted to add...put as much info as you can in the description for those who take the time to read, eg: Info about the Artist, maybe photos of other works or of artist, info about the painting itself, other than the dimensions & media eg: painted where or of what or reminds one of or in the style of... Also your postage seems confusing & too low, remember you will be paying volumetric & a framed painting will be surely need some packing & it may end up pushing the postage up due to volumn. Also have noted on other artworks that if on canvas they sometimes mention it will be rolled & posted in a tube, I would mention this if that is the case.Anyway keep going and all the best !

lilythepink

Gosh but the Forum Family is a helpful bunch. Excellent suggestions made and I hope they help me9za get going!

alloway65

A small freebie added to the ordered item never goes amiss......either mention in your listing or give the buyer a nice surprise.

DPpromotions

I was wandering if anyone knows the kind of traffic the website gets. And if it is possible to get a list of trends such as best times of the month to sell etc

NooNooBug

Everyone will have there own ideas I am sure. Depending on what you sell it may differ but my experience is the quite time of month for me is from 10th to 20th of the month, but no hard & fast rule coz as we speed to year end things pick up.