Sign in to follow this  
Cali Craft and Gems

HD crash

Cali Craft and Gems

Okay - so my pc has finally given up the ghost - one so-called "warning" (blue screen) then dead! Dood-soos-'n-mossie... no life, etc!

Downside of all of this is that ALL my info, images and emails were on this hard drive - and I mean everything! (pics of my late dad, late grandfather, animals, stock, all my spreadsheets, the works)

Hubby got me an external hard drive on Friday a week after the "crash" - now seriously - what does that help! (could have done with that a week ago!)

I've gotten a quote to "fix" the problem - ie opening the hard drive and inserting the bits and pieces into something else to recover the data... brilliant that it can be done / recovered, but the cost is just short of one month's installment on my house bond! (nearly R6k)

Does anyone out there know who is prepared to help me for less? I know one cannot put a price on certain things (memories / photos), but I am desperate (and broke - I have to pay hubby back for the stock I've bought this year - over R100k!)!

Any help or advice would be sincerely appreciated! (as you can imagine, my stress levels are off the chart by this stage!)

Rambeo

Eish Cali. That is no good. Just keep in mind that its a very critical operation switching hard drive platters etc. because the smallest bit of dust could render the data un-readable. Thats why the price but strangely i recall most company charge per amount of data on the drive and not the size of the drive. Also what was the blue screen error. Is the hdd really that bad that the data can't be read back by inserting in a external hdd enclosure?

Cali Craft and Gems

Thanks for the reply.

I left my pc and when I returned there was a blue screen that was "processing" lines and lines of errors. It automatically restarted and must have rebooted from the second hard drive that is in the tower as it had back-dated itself (call it restoring back to an old date) to May 2011 and excluded all of my current programs, worksheets, etc.

I switched off the pc, restarted it and it went back to normal. Shut it down that night then got back to it a few days later. It restarted fine and worked "normally". We went out and when I returned to it later on Sunday evening, the blue screen was back and it rebooted to the second drive. (most of this I fathomed out later in the week - if I'd known the "signs" in the begining it would have been a different story!)

I phoned my pc friend in PE (who had just been with us for the five days that my pc was off!) and explained the details to him. He suggested I open up the tower, dust things off if required (was definitely needed!), and unplug and replug what ever I could as something could have worked itself loose.

Well... the rest is history! I'm not too bad with regards to pc's and their workings (used to be in charge of the pc's, etc at a major firm many moons ago), but this one had me stumped! What I eventually worked out was that the first HD did not want to boot up and it was not recognised on the BIOS system (under setup). Whilst the second drive on SATA 2 had it's name in the brackets [x], the first drive on SATA 1 just showed blank [ ].

Swopped the cables between the drives and restarted to no avail. If both drives were connected "as per normal", then the initial screen would go through and end with "3rd master hard drive error" with F1, etc options. If only the second drive was connected, then it would start up with the old May 2011 setup. If only the first drive was connected, then it would hang or loop (keep on restarting but not get anywhere).

I searched what I could on the internet (spent hours!) and ended up handing the pc over to the local techie guy here in Oudtshoorn who said the pc must be sent to Cape Town for a quotation, but estimated at around R6k. (the entire sms is in Afrikaans but I picked up the just of what his result or opinion was)

Honestly, I don't mind paying something towards the recovery as I realise it is not just a simple fix, but the cost mentioned is way out of my league - especially at the moment! (I'll only have money to spare like that after the next KKNK in April 2014 and I cannot wait that long!)

I don't know what else to do besides reaching for another slab of choc and the box of tissues! (boo hoo!)

Just Beachin

My Heart goes out to you!! I've been caught out a couple of times myself, they say nothing is truly saved until you save it in three places, like a CD, external drive, flash drive or cyber storage (like drop box). I wish you luck in retrieving your photos, perhaps you can request only the super important files and that my bring down the cost?

Makes you wonder though, how many of us here, are also sitting on the edge of disaster, as far a out computer back ups go?

Not1CentMore

Do not know if this is available / accessible your side. If you are able to use it, it is well worth the cost... in time, money and headaches.

Carbonite Cloud Backup Services: Online Computer Data Backup

It 'runs quietly' in the background and automatically backs up your files (Photos, Documents, Spreadsheets, Email) and you can access them anytime / anywhere (another PC, Tablet, Smartphone).

Ruthie

Seeds and All

Our HD and a few other things got fried after a severe thunderstorm. After sending the HD to 3 companies who reported that the data was irrecoverable we sent it to LVC Data Recovery in JHB. They charge R 2700.00 for 500 GB and larger. They will send their own courier to collect and deliver back to you. If you do send your HD to them it makes sense to also send your new external HD at the same time so they can store your data onto that. Call 0861 100 600 and speak to Luzette Reyneke. It took less that 5 days, from the moment they collected, to when they delivered it back to us.

Cali Craft and Gems

Thanks Seeds - I will give it a try!

lilythepink

Gosh Cali - hope you can get sorted out. I also lost a whole lot of pictures not so long ago but fortunately I still have them on CD. It is just a mission that I haven't got to sorting out yet.

Good luck!

mrmouse
Thanks Seeds - I will give it a try!

aslong as the drive is still spinning you should be able to recover most yourself by using a program called RecoverX free to use and download if drive is still spinning it should work you must plug the drive into another machine to do the recovery , it will recover all pics and most pdf and docs , I have low level tools that will work as well , the drive can be formatted or deleted before recovery it makes no difference , as long as the drive is active under computer manager it will see it , all is not lost unless the board is faulty then its tickets.:toung:

Edited by mrmouse

lilythepink

Cali - give us an update. Are you managing to recover the lost data? Thinking of you!

Cali Craft and Gems

Hi Lily

Have not sorted the pc out yet as we're terribly busy in the shop as there is a festival in town this weekend - Klein Karoo Klassique. Trying to get the shop more-or-less perfect and to get as much stock as possible out onto the shelves (the bead room looks like a tornado has gone through it!).

Will only have a chance on Monday again to tackle the pc hassle, etc. Until then, I'm running between the laptop at the shop and hubby's pc (which is also giving strange memory messages tonight so hubby will have to check it out in the morning).

I've just got seven parcels to pack tonight then my weary aching body can find my bed. (weather has been strange this evening - has become very overcast and cold... me thinks the predicted snow is going to make an appearance within the next 24 hours - brrrrrrrrr.....)

Keep well and chat later again

J - CCG