Sign in to follow this  
NooNooBug

Time to Pay , SNC etc

NooNooBug    10
NooNooBug

I see that there are some sellers that request payment within 24 hrs, 48 hrs or 72 hrs or the items will be relisted an SNC filed & a negative given....

So, is there any rule stating the time span in which payment should be received? As you can only file an SNC after 7 days does that not then say the buyer has 7 days in which to pay? I personally send out a "reminder" / "courtesy" note after 4 days and if after 7 days nothing then file an SNC. In the beginning I used to mention ..."to avoid having an SNC filed"... which seemed to stress some people out, so I changed the wording and do not mention SNC at all !

I have always understood it as the buyer has up until day 7 , when the prompt appears to file that SNC, in which to pay. Am I wrong in thinking that ? It obviously is a pain when a buyer waits that long to pay.

Also the times stipulated by some sellers - is there any rule governing this or is this a purely personal decision and we as sellers can choose anything? Seem not much point in making the time short when you cannot file an SNC that early on anyway. What are your comments? Would love to get some other opinions on this.

Miss Jewels    10
Miss Jewels

As I understood, from BoB's side, the SNC is filed after 7 days, but the seller determines his/her own T & C's. So if the seller states payment due within x days, so be it. You can still only file the SNC after the 7 day period.

Fashion Police    10
Fashion Police

I agree with the "SNC" issue - many sellers use this term to "threaten / intimidate" buyers - it can be very off-putting. The purpose of an SNC is merely to claim back success fees, many buyers still see this as a threat even in cases where "seller and buyer agreed to cancel sale"

I request payment within 48 hours for several reasons and think it's a fair amount of time, I do however allow buyers to make arrangements if they cannot pay in this time.

* I think it's poor business ethics to hold payment or not pay without notifying the seller.

* In most cases where a buyer doesn't complete check-out in 2 days, chances are good that they are not going to. If you plan on buying something, you're going to buy it. If it was an impulsive decision, notify the seller and cancel the sale.

* During the time waiting for the buyer to complete the purchase (let's say a week), stock could have been replenished etc. - especially on large orders. It does affect a seller business-wise.

* Follow-ups / reminders are very significant - at times the buyer already paid but used the incorrect reference number. In such cases follow-up after 48 hours is fair and will avoid delivery delays... but follow-up only after a week will not be good at all.

* Imagine going to your local supermarket or any store, whether big or small, and keeping a few products aside behind the counter for later...by the time you return to the store, whether it's the next day or a week later, those items will definitely not be there anymore. I also don't know of any online stores that reserve items for later (that is what the wishlist / watchlist is for). If I'm not mistaken most online stores automatically cancel orders after 48 or 72 hours.

NooNooBug    10
NooNooBug

Thanx for you feedback, makes perfect sense ! Think perhaps I need to re-think and put some T & C's of my own in place...

wayjen    10
wayjen

Why should any terms and conditions be threatening? If a person reads sellers terms and conditions and postage prices then there would be far less hassles when buying items on BoB.

Tayama    10
Tayama
Why should any terms and conditions be threatening? If a person reads sellers terms and conditions and postage prices then there would be far less hassles when buying items on BoB.

I totally agree with you. I have spent like 2 hours, on and off) the phone this morning with a buyer who buys all over the place and fails to pay within 3 days (as stipulated in all my listings. He does not reply to any messages or mails, indicates that he "still plans to pay" on all the SNC's filed against him, and then after 14 days of winning, still did not pay. So, I blocked him and informed him by email that I do not want to go ahead with the deal, nor do I want to do any business with him in future. So then he decided to talk to me and now he is almost harassing me by telephone. He blames me for NOT phoning him before I filed an SNC. When I reminded him of all my messages, mails and reminders, he responded by asking me "How can you expect from me to reply to 400 messages per week". Off course you'll have 400 messages because you buy all over the place without paying and keeping track of what you're doing ... Patience is not my strong point and after a lecture of how I should and shouldn't behave and what I should and shouldn't do as a seller, I am quite fed up for people who buys without reading through my terms and conditions as a seller. Stop telling me you're not a crook and own like 20 race horses and just pay for your damn stuff! Yes, it was part of the lecture LOL

Edited by Tayama

Cali Craft and Gems    10
Cali Craft and Gems

Our terms have been and always will be 7 days from close of auction / buy now for payment. Yet... the lip I received from a buyer last night nearly pushed me over the edge!

I've been begging this buyer to pay his outstanding amount since early July reminding him that our T&C's are 7 days. He tried to pay a few times via credit card but I reversed these transactions as our T&C's also state that c/card payments will not be accepted for orders under R150 (his is much lower).

The email below is what I received from him (with my reply to him below that):

Please don't panic I will be back in SA on Friday I have been in the Bush and I will be back in Jewel City, I tried to pay online by credit card to no avail, I will deposit now in cash to your bank account, why could the credit card paymentnot have been authorised, I am a diamond and gemstone dealer and find this quite pathetic, if your patience runs out do what you think is right. Regards

Hello S****

Thank you for your reply.

All you had to do was to let me know you were out of the country and I would have made a note on the system that payment would be delayed.

As explained before, the reason why your credit card payment was not accepted is that throughout the ordering and payment process, it clearly shows that credit card payments will not be accepted for purchases under R150.

With regards to my "pathetic" manner and patience in following up for payment on a long outstanding order, our terms and conditions are SEVEN days from close of auction / order for payment - not almost a month. It does not matter what your profession is, the terms still apply.

Your co-operation would therefor be sincerely appreciated.

Regards,

JANDS    10
JANDS

If you buy the blerrie thing, pay for the blerrie thing then I post the blerrie thing and we are all happy! How simple is that? :blink:

NooNooBug    10
NooNooBug
... He tried to pay a few times via credit card but I reversed these transactions as our T&C's also state that c/card payments will not be accepted for orders under R150 (his is much lower)...,

Tried that in the beginning but given that I am not selling many high priced items it just became an absolute pain always reversing & sending messages, many understand, some take it personally & get angry ! I feel sorry for all these buyers that clearly are unable to read !!