Sign in to follow this  
geewhizz

Can anyone identify this

geewhizz    20
geewhizz

No use putting this in the military thread as it is not very active

The gold 9ct assay mark on this item is for Birmingham 1901 so could be Boer war period.

Not sure if it is military or perhaps a sweetheart brooch.The initials in the center have been crudely added later

Pierre_Henri    10
Pierre_Henri

It is 100% not officially military - but it is almost surely military connected - a sweethearts / POW brooch of some kind with the “cross” specifically adding a military flavor.

I have seen these before and for some reason believe they were “made / engraved” by soldiers serving in the Boer War – the only thing that puzzles me is the official hallmark at the back –

Maybe one could buy these as hallmarked blank planchets - and then have the wording on the obverse added at any later stage.

The problem is that if one does not really have proof of provenance, then you sit with a piece worth barely above its gold melting value.

Pierre

geewhizz    20
geewhizz

Thanks for the input.

Another piece for pandora's box.It weighs 5 gram so worth a bit.

I bought this from someone who found it in a field 60 years ago when she was 13 years old.

Update.This seems to be a fob medal that has lost it's ring on top.

Made by W.A. William Adams who was known for making fob medals representing military,sport royal masonic etc.

i would still like to know what this one represents

Another update: This seems to be masonic. The cross is very similar to the masonic cross.

Probably will be more profitable sending it to the melting pot.

Edited by geewhizz

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

Not often you don't know what something is, Pam! But good luck with getting good money back for it now that you have an idea!