Sign in to follow this  
HappyKoi

I find it offensive

HappyKoi

In the extreme that your mobile app deems it necessary to access my personal information on my cell phone including my call logs?!? Seriously. Who do you people think you are? Not impressed. Not impressed at all!! In fact make that really really pissed off.

MacMuffin

Hi there,

our Android mobile app uses the following permissions:

• android.permission.ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE
  • android.permission.ACCESS_WIFI_STATE
  • android.permission.CAMERA
  • android.permission.INTERNET
  • android.permission.READ_CALL_LOG
  • android.permission.READ_CONTACTS
  • android.permission.READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE
  • android.permission.VIBRATE
  • android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE

The READ_CALL_LOG permission is used to allow the app to make a call on your behalf (when clicking on the help function for example). The READ_CONTACTS permission is used to either auto-populate your registration details when you register on bidorbuy or when using a contact for shipping details while placing an order.

All our information remains on the phone and our app does not read your contacts or call logs and does anything other than what is described above. This is standard behaviour on Android and unfortunately Android does not allow this behaviour to be selectively turned off.

Should you still feel uncomfortable about this, you can always use or mobile web-versions or full web versions, although both do not provide as convenient functions as the mobile application.

Unlike many other eCommerce websites we take the privacy of our customers and customer data very serious (this is explained in our privacy statement) and unlike many other South African Internet companies, we host all our infrastructure and data on South African soil.

Edited by MacMuffin