Sign in to follow this  
Pierre_Henri

Anyone have any idea if this is a fantasy or official issue?

alloway65    10
alloway65

I have never come across this one before Pierre.......and in the 70s & 80s I was quite big into stamps in RSA.

Cold Sea    0
Cold Sea

Some useless trivia that might help.

The picture on the envelope is that of the Palace of Justice in Pretoria, the court where Mandela's trial was heard, and not Parliament. I cannot place the rock or the kraal.

Both the coin and the stamp with RSA COA's were issued in 1984, the year the Prime Minister's position was abolished, and through a new constitution the position of an executive State President (PW Botha) was created. This might help explain the Union Building postmark.

By the way, the 1984 coins had no designer initials on the obverse or coat of arms.

culltony    10
culltony
is this an official issue? ...

No I Don't think so (I am no expert), I also have the same FDC but with a 1964 1c, I purchased on ebay from a seller in Germany.

I think they are made and sold from the EU on ebay, you will find similar FDC's for most African countries and I have even seen some for the old Venda, Transki, etc.

Cold Sea    0
Cold Sea

I e-mailed Philately South Africa, who was kind enough to pass this on to Michael from Crocker & Wigmore Philatelists. Their reply:

Philatelic Federation's Jill Redmond has passed on to me your 1985 coin cover debate enquiry.

I've looked at the item's scan and also read through the discussion line.

From a stamp perspective, I don't see anything that would worry me. The Union Buildings have

had their own post office since around 1913 and that canceller on the cover is the permanent

datestamp style allocated to it in, from memory, the mid 1970's. Important for us would be that

the design doesn't appear to include a PO logo or serial number.

The coin side of it is not my field but the mounting style onto the envelope reminds me of the

Mandela Inauguration R5 coin covers and just the general appearance of the whole thing says

'Government Printer' to me. That 'rock and kraal' illustration looks in the style of AH Barrett

- an artist supplying a great deal of design artwork for the Government in those days. (The site

scan definition isn't good enough for me to make out what looks like a tiny, printed signature at

the base of the tree). It does look as if there is some text (printed vertically at the left) that has

been just clipped off in the scan. That may hold the clue to this things' origins?

I see nothing 'sinister' about 'building not matching postmark, not matching 'whatever'' ...

Bottom line, if a little cynically, is that the various components come together to look pretty and

appealing and to sell the merchandise. I don't think there's cause for alarm as to the authenticity

of this item.

Hope this helps? Best regards, MICHAEL.

Maybe if Culltony can tell us what the writing is on the left hand side of his envelope, it may help.

Derick

dstorm    10
dstorm

Hello PH

I agree with Michael and Jill (both experienced and respected philatelists).

The item is NOT official. Or rather, it is a legitimate privately produced (be it by a person or an organisation) cover.

Keep well and regards

Jacques

Edited by dstorm
spelling (as always)

Pierre_Henri    14
Pierre_Henri
Hello PH

I agree with Michael and Jill (both experienced and respected philatelists).

The item is NOT official. Or rather, it is a legitimate privately produced (be it by a person or an organisation) cover.

Keep well and regards

Jacques

Thanks Jacques

Thought so - it is actually a fantasy item with no value bar its hyped whateverness

Pierre

culltony    10
culltony
Maybe if Culltony can tell us what the writing is on the left hand side of his envelope, it may help.

Derick

From the pic I have, I am unable to make out the writing on the left (the FDC is not with me) I will check next week and reply in September when I am back from holiday

culltony    10
culltony
reply in September when I am back from holiday

As promised, the FDC is made buy "Philswiss" the same company that makes/made the "1994 Mandela FDC R5" from EU

See attached images

culltony

58f5a74ab315d_1964FDC1c-Front.JPG.02b3f9241fbe785437e0e3c416fbe023.JPG

58f5a74aa43ea_1994MandelaFDCR5-Front2.jpg.a5cef4f1a2ad2e6aae9697b67c920155.jpg

58f5a74aa8ede_1994MandelaFDCR5-Front2.JPG.20cfd0cbee1bf4e18dc72526ea70af21.JPG

58f5a74aaeac4_1964FDC1c-Front2.jpg.7cca7390df43d72ec63ac4ce496078fa.jpg

dstorm    10
dstorm

Hello Culltony

Do you believe that the postmark on the "Philswiss" cover is genuine?

Keep well and regards

Jacques

culltony    10
culltony

Do you believe that the postmark on the "Philswiss" cover is genuine

No, but unless you can prove otherwise one must accept the FDC as is!!