Sign in to follow this  
BBeBB

2000 Mandela smiley mintage numbers?

BBeBB    10
BBeBB

Could anybody please advise the official mintage amounts for the 2000 Mandela R5 coin in both regular and proof and proof-like issues?

I cant seem to find these figures anywhere. Will appreciate any response. Thanks

Pierre_Henri    10
Pierre_Henri
Could anybody please advise the official mintage amounts for the 2000 Mandela R5 coin in both regular and proof and proof-like issues?

I cant seem to find these figures anywhere. Will appreciate any response. Thanks

Hern states that approx. 6.2 million were minted of which 40 000 were proof-like but the proof numbers are unknown due to their manufacturing item code which remained the same.

I would guess that the Proofs also run into the tens of thousands.

Regards

Pierre

republikein    10
republikein

As far as I could determine, NO Proof 2000 Mandela R5's were ever minted, only Proof-Like R5's. Apparently NGC (and maybe other grading companies) made a mistake by grading the Proof-Likes as Proof. Now buyers are paying two to three times more for "Proof" Mandela 2000 R5 coins than they should, as they are in fact only Proof-Like... Please correct me if I am wrong, but these are the facts I have been told.