Sign in to follow this  
Paperweight

Signing for a package at the Post Office

Paperweight    10
Paperweight

After they bring the parcel from the back, can you tell the worker you will sign that form after you've opened and had a look inside? Or is signing a condition of receiving it? Any one with experiences? I have an expensive package coming and I have a bad feeling about it...as if it will show up empty.

NooNooBug    10
NooNooBug

Not sure about that but what I do know is if it insured you would be advised to open at the counter in case of any future claims. I have been advised previously that it is advisable to have a camera at hand to take photos ! If your suspicious are that you may receive an empty parcel then I would open at counter in an impartial persons presence and take a photo. If it happens get the clerks name or some proof from them that they verify it empty. As you wont be claiming from SAPO I am sure they may help.

Paperweight    10
Paperweight

Thank you very much!

mrmouse    11
mrmouse

I doubt it will be empty , there may be a brick in it from an unscrupulous seller , but not empty.In 20 years of distribution I have had more losses with couriers than SAPO , Im talking of R15000 a month with Speed Services and never a loss , any movement of goods is risky ,, packaging is crucial , Most problems occur with poorly packed products , no courier in SA handles the sheer volumes of parcells everyday like the Post Office does , if its really really a critical product fetch it yourself ,then you have only yourself to blame if you drop it .or loose it.or leave it in the shopping trolley or get hijacked .

Edited by mrmouse

gypseygirl    10
gypseygirl

Yes you certainly can tell the assistant that you want to check it first before you sign, I often do, as many parcels look like they have been tampered with, luck only 2 so far have had items missing.

XTRADE    10
XTRADE

I had lots of luck so far with parcels sent,

out of around 3700 parcels sent, 2 was tampered with and the items inside stolen (now I don't use speed services bags anymore) , 2 went missing and was never found by Speed services.

Colin_P    10
Colin_P

A while back I asked the clerk if I could open the package before signing, as it was damaged on the one corner and the earrings I was expecting could easily have been missing. It proved to be above his pay grade so he called the manager who invited me into his office where we opened the package together. Luckily everything was in order and I left feeling that at least he knew a bit about customer service.

chrisc    10
chrisc

In 2009 I had a set to with a clerk at Wynberg PO. She brought me the remains of a parcel - just the tattered and wet cardboard and told me to sign and be happy about it. I asked for the PostMaster but he was not available, so I refused to leave until it was sorted out. I was manhandled out of the office at 4,30 by building security as they wanted to close. A letter of complaint to the P O received an acknowledgement 4 months later but I never received a proper reply

The seller replaced the item (two art books)

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

@chrisc - next time take a great length of heavy chain with you and shackle yourself to one of the counters in the PO. Then they won't be able to manhandle you out of the place. :biggrin:

So glad that our PO isn't so awful.