Sign in to follow this  
electronics4less

Using SNC process to bypass the rating system - seller AnitaL

electronics4less

This is a theme I see more and more - sellers using or promising to use the SNC system if they get negative ratings.

I myself ran into this little issue - I won a 5-page website on this auction:

Domain Names - Custom Designed Website for your Business, NO Pre-Installed Templates was sold for R1.00 on 17 May at 14:02 by AnitaL in Rustenburg (ID:99860106)

I paid and on 26 May I was told the website is making good progress and will be uploaded to a test server for my approval. I was even prepared to make use of their hosting services if the webpage was any good - face it, they also need to make a few bucks, and the R1 auction fee would not be it!

All I needed was to see what site they designed for me, I was even prepared to pay a year in advance.

But they never got around to publishing the site. I queried this again and again was told on 27 June that "I have asked the IT guy to send you all the details".

I waited until today but since I can see this was not going to happen, I rated the seller negatively. Within 5 minutes they logged an SNC saying "Terms not met by buyer".

Now this probably means they feel that I was obliged to take hosting first before they do the work.

Since sellers are not allowed to list items that require further purchase (as per section 1.3 in the listing policy), I think this is very unfair.

If this SNC goes through, it basically negates the rating system.

I just hope the SNC admin reads the whole story, and does not allow them to abuse the system to get rid of the negative rating.

Little Miss Muffet

What happened with you is wrong but

In 2 weeks I had 2 negative ratings from new users who are normally the ones to use the rating system to communicate

The one was sorted out. The other one gave me a negative rating without any prior communication because the post office sent her parcel to the wrong post office.

The first thing I did was phone her to explain it is a p[ost office error.She said I am passing the buck and slammed the phone down.

As far as I am concerned she should have the negative rating.I find it very, very frustrating and annoying when Bidorbuy ignore all correspondence in the matter as if I don't exist

She had to travel 24 km to fetch the parcel. Her sddress was Joe Soap and Joe soap was written on the parcel.

To get rid of the negative rating I filed an SNC and told her I would refund her for the whole thing including her petrol to travel 24 KM.

I would rarther leave Bob than sit with a negative rating that is unjustified.

To me this woman sounded very spiteful.

I can only say if Bob don't know me by now they never will

AnitaL

Hi Coen,

Thank you for sending the link to me for my reply.

I have listed the auction as a package (refer to auction description - By bidding on the auction you agreed and understood the contents thereof, if you were aware of the clause you could have asked a question or report it to community watch. ?). I sent you a mail on the 2013/05/17.

"Hi Coen,

There are no shipping costs involved. The only costs involved are the domain registration if you do not have a existing domain and the monthly hosting costs.

Please logon to [EDITED}, complete the registration and select your hosting option. ( Jy het toe gaan registreer op die site en geen betaling gedoen nie)

Some questions I need to ask:

1. Do you have a current domain name?

2. Do you have a existing website?

3. What kind of business do you have? Name of the business?

Awaiting your reply

Na jou reply toe stuur ek die volgende mail

"Die source files sal copyright regte ophe aangesien ons eintlik die pakket adverteer en ons kliente moet gebruik maak van ons hosting soos geadverteer op bidorbuy."

Jy het op die site gaan registreer en toe nooit n opsie gekies nie. (Kan bewus voorsien)

Jou mail na my toe op die 31ste

"Wil sommer met die kleinste hosting begin, sal opgradeer as dit nodig is. Kan ek sommer 'n jaar vooruit betaal?"

En daarna nooit weer gepraat van die hosting nie soos geadverteer op Bidorbuy. As daar n clause was moes die item op Bidorbuy gedelete word, is dit nie so nie?

Ek het toe n mail na jou toe gestuur wat se die IT ou sal n link stuur na die test site toe. Omrede daar geen betaling was vir jou hosting nie is niks na jou toe gestuur nie. Die files le nogsteeds op die test server en sal binne 14 dae gedelete word.

As ek so vinning na BOB se goed kyk kan n mens n diens adverteer? Dit is die rede hoekom daar n once - off listing fee is van R50.00 met geen success FEES nie.

Ek glo as daar n misverstand tussen ons was (veiling pakket) kan ons dit baie vining uitsorteer.

As ek moet terug kom na die diens toe, lewer ek n baie goeie diens aan my kliente.

Ek hoor graag van jou. Jy kan my gerus kontak.

Groete

Anita

Edited by AnitaL

AnitaL

Coen,

I have just confirmed with a online chat operator. Please see the chat below

Claudia Gagopane: okay how can I help?

05:11Visitor: Lets say I list a auction for a webdesign package and the user must take hosting is this allowable.

05:12Visitor: herewith a link for better understanding

05:12Visitor: Domain Names - Custom Designed Website for your Business, NO Pre-Installed Templates was sold for R1.00 on 17 May at 14:02 by AnitaL in Rustenburg (ID:99860106)

05:12Claudia Gagopane: Okay, give me a minuite, let me find out .

05:12Visitor: Please remember this was listed as a service and I know you deduct R50 once off with no success fees

05:15Claudia Gagopane: yes you can list it but you need to be specific on your listing that it does not come with a hosting.

15Visitor: yes I have and the user must take hosting, please look at my listing was it correctly advertised

05:16Claudia Gagopane: anything else I ca n assist you with?

05:16Visitor: so my listing was correct?

05:17Claudia Gagopane: Your listing is clear and correct.

electronics4less

This was a crazy auction, not an classified.

In your auction you did say hosting etc. is not included. When you buy a car, it states "Extras not included". This does NOT mean you actually have to buy them.

You did not state that these services will be compulsory. Even though it would be against BidOrBuy policy in any case.

WRT your chat with someone at BidOrBuy - they don't even know their own policies.

As far as doing business with you, you do not keep your promises. I specifically asked to see the site first, and you said the IT people will send me the link to the test server. They did not and now you say it's because I did not pay?

Well, obviously I'm wrong as the SNC was declared "nobody at fault". You sold a service, did not deliver this service, and nobody is at fault.

At least it does present the question - what the hell am I still doing on BidOrBuy? There's simply no buyer protection from anything.

qball

Technically, the seller listed this in the wrong category, it should go under Business, Farming and Industry, which is considered a classified listing, it can be listed as an auction and no success fees are payable, as it is a service it can be listed like this. The listing is in my view does not mention that it is subject to payment for hosting and registration of domain, just that these are excluded.

The SNC - your appeal was accepted, meaning we agreed with your appeal. However, we have retracted the SNC now, as the listing is not clear regarding additional purchases.

RISadler

Sorry to chip in at a tangent here ... I looked at the auction linked and can't but wonder where lies the actual RoI of the whole endeavor. I mean, the profit must be absolutely negligible at R479,40 per year.

electronics4less
Technically, the seller listed this in the wrong category, it should go under Business, Farming and Industry, which is considered a classified listing, it can be listed as an auction and no success fees are payable, as it is a service it can be listed like this.

Thanks Cuan.

Maybe this was just a misunderstanding, I will also amend my rating and give the seller an opportunity to address any issues.

AnitaL

Hi Coen,

Clearly this has been a misunderstanding and we will provide the service you paid for. Please send your current hosting ftp details so the files can be uploaded to your server. If there are any changes to be made you can email me the requirements and I will pass it on.

Kind Regards

Anita

qball

Thank you for sorting this issue out.

tying the knot

I have the same problem. I bought an item, won the auction PAID THE SAME DAY. What happened days later seller tells you they dont have stock but i can choose something else? I reply no i want the item i paid for (by rights if a seller does not have stock they shouldnt auction things! so what does he do? ignores my reply, sends the same message saying i must choose something else or get refund? I then reply, send email rate him orrange but nothing. eventually i rate him red and say i want my monies back?

HE GOES AND DOES A SNC ON ME AND QUICKLY REFUND ME THE DAY AFTER!!!, So they can do it but we cant? doesnt work that way, then this system is a load of crock! Check all my ratings, NO NEGATIVES but I pay you dont supply but I get listed on SNC???!!!

tying the knot

Just becuase you get a negative rating is no way to do a snc! I PAID FOR AN ITEM WHICH THE SELLER DIDNT HAVE STOCK OFF. THEN WHEN YOU REPLY he ignores you, suddenly after you rated first orange and no reply and change rating to red! He then SNC you but HE IS THE ONE THAT DIDNT HAVE THE DAMN STOCK AND GOT MY MONEY! How dare you SNC me????

Then there should be a fair system whereby we can also SNC YOU!!!!

qball

The SNC (SALE NOT COMPLETE) process is simply a process to recover success fees on unsuccessful transactions. We do allow you, the buyer to appeal the SNC to give your side. During this process we remove ratings until we determine who is at fault. Once we have made a decision the rating is either removed or re-instated, depending on who is at fault.