Sign in to follow this  
TGSA

New Postal Rates Parcels: VOLUMETRIC SYSTEM

TGSA

I trust I am not the only seller with more and more unhappy customers? Everybody still believes that a parcel that is 2kg's will be charged at the rate for 2kg's. This is now clearly incorrect as the post office now charges for the volume of the parcel too. Just tried to ship a parcel with the weight of 2.8kgs and was 'offered' to pay R87 (the parcel dimensions were 79cm x 22cm x 25cm = 8.7kg chargeable weight).

Am I the only one with unhappy customers who think I am trying to cheat them?

Little Miss Muffet
I trust I am not the only seller with more and more unhappy customers? Everybody still believes that a parcel that is 2kg's will be charged at the rate for 2kg's. This is now clearly incorrect as the post office now charges for the volume of the parcel too. Just tried to ship a parcel with the weight of 2.8kgs and was 'offered' to pay R87 (the parcel dimensions were 79cm x 22cm x 25cm = 8.7kg chargeable weight).

Am I the only one with unhappy customers who think I am trying to cheat them?

porcelain or large breakables have become far too expensive to post especially if they need to be protected.

I am therefore avoiding these items.

I think it would be a good idea to pack the item before you list it so that you can give your buyers the geometrical measurements and weight and explain how the post office calculates it.

It is better for a buyer to have full knowlege of all the costs before the user bids.

This way there will be no unhappy buyers,

It concerns me that postage costs will affect online selling.

TribalTrade

The Post Office is busy "upgrading" their whole parcel system to a "Wayberry System"? (I am not sure I spelled it correctly).

After a frustrative day at another PO on Friday where I do not usually post from, I had my first taste of this incompetency.

After enquiring at my local PO today, I was informed that they too will get the new system installed in August. It seems that many branches already "upgraded".

EVERY parcel must get measured and weighed, all info must get entered on the computer, and the sytem will calculate a volumetric weight. It is time consuming and expensive! There will be no more weigh, scan and go like before!

I can not see that this will work for very long, as the PO will have many disgruntled clients in their offices. Their income will drop a lot, as many clients will look into alternative ways to send their parcels. Somewhere, somehow, someone got a new tender.....

admin

I can not see that this will work for very long, as the PO will have many disgruntled clients in their offices.

They have them for years and years already, does not seem to bother them....

NooNooBug
Their income will drop a lot, as many clients will look into alternative ways to send their parcels. Somewhere, somehow, someone got a new tender.....

FYI go look for our old thread regarding the volumetric etc I got a letter concerning the Econo Parcels as these are NOT to be calculated as for volume as long as they fall within the specs...be aware that some PO's do not know this and you may end up paying if you don't have the correct info. Go take a look.

As for them loosing business they are not concerned at all as they know there is no competition...PostNet make use of SAPO !! You pay more there as they stand in the queue for you ! They send in bulk through SAPO even using Speed Services, together with a few other courier companies eg DHL to send your overnight goods ! So if 50% of SAPO customers "move" to Postnet they do not actually loose out ONLY us !! (This info was shared with me by a SAPO Manager sometime ago when I voiced my opinion concerning the whole volumetric thingy !)

RAG Auctioneers

Most of the "smallies" we usually sell are now not worth posting because of "volumectric weight".

What a pity.........

Little Miss Muffet

I have just had a call from my post office to say that there has been such an outcry about the new volumetrical charges on parcels that it has now been scrapped:awesome:

Edited by geewhizz

voldermort
I have just had a call from my post office to say that there has been such an outcry about the new volumetrical charges on pasrcels that it has now been scrapped:awesome:

I very much doubt that it has, if it has been implemented it will surely stay.

What I have noticed is that some tellers use it & some don't , so obviously when going into the Post Office it stands to reason we avoid the tellers who do.

Little Miss Muffet
I very much doubt that it has, if it has been implemented it will surely stay.

What I have noticed is that some tellers use it & some don't , so obviously when going into the Post Office it stands to reason we avoid the tellers who do.

I think users should check this with their post offices because I dont think my post office would specially phone me if this is not true.

TGSA

I hope you are right in what you are saying but as per yesterday, Boksburg North still charged according to that new silly system, and today Atlasville still did the same...

NooNooBug

Checked with my PO today and they said there is no change ! No notifications of any changes, so still charging as per volumetric as per their April Rates booklet.

svw
I think users should check this with their post offices because I dont think my post office would specially phone me if this is not true.

Still no changes this side either. Maybe your 'special' phone call was feeling the water to discuss some kind of 'remuneration package' if they conveniently forget to charge you the volumetric weight :whistling:

Little Miss Muffet

Nonsense !! You just have to know how to bribe them.

Seriously it was a phone call out of the blue.They are not charging me for the volumetrical.

DIY PRODUCTS

Hi Geewhizz, could you please let me know what Post Office you post at? I have just had a bit of a set too with mine...also was informed about the Illegal strike currently ongoing...first I hear of this. Anyone else having issues?

lilythepink

It hasn't been "scrapped" in Grahamstown ... sent a parcel to Cape Town and they weighed it and as volumetric weight was higher, we paid the higher price. (Furiously drinking a cup of tea!)

NooNooBug
It hasn't been "scrapped" in Grahamstown ... sent a parcel to Cape Town and they weighed it and as volumetric weight was higher, we paid the higher price. (Furiously drinking a cup of tea!)

Just watch out for the econos ! Some PO's are still trying to fit them into the volumetric thing but as per SAPO themselves that is not allowed ! If you need me to forward the letter to me please feel free to PM me. If you take the econo max. measurements and convert to a volumetric calculation you end up paying for a 3kg parcel or something ! Have to be on our toes here !

lilythepink

It wasn't an econo parcel but it cost about R5.00 more than it should have because the PO looked at the volumetrics. (Bad PO!!)

dominiquesonline

We had a bad experience here in P.E with regards to the new system today. We were was sending out three international parcels, and they wanted to charge us R1500! Two of the parcels were to the USA (400g each) and one 5kg parcel to Namibia. The rates according to the rates brochure would have come to a total of about R750, so I nearly fainted when they said R1500.

We argued hard with the manager and caused a scene. I argued that you couldn't not suddenly change the rates from the rate brochure that is valid until April 2014. I have quoted my clients based on this rate!

The post office eventually sent the packages at the old rate... so for today we got through. I am really worried about what happens now though. We were just starting to branch out into exporting and it was going so well. This could kill that for us.

Any advice or experince to share with international shipping would be appreciated. I don't mind the local change to much (we use courier half the time anyhow) but the international rates are going to kill our budding exporting business.

Annie737

I have been informed that the PO no longer charge volumetrical mass tariffs. It appears that there is a PO Circular in this regard. I am trying to get hold of same and will update on this

Annie737

Hi everyone- here's the promised feedback. PO circular 49/13 (the most recent one) determines that postage on parcels not exceeding 30kg/1meter in length will ONLY BE CALCULATED BY WIGHT.......not volume!! BOB.....please bring this to the attention of buyers and sellers? There are too many sellers who still charge volumetrical mass tariffs.

MiemsJewels

Thank you Bonipi.

TribalTrade

I just had a parcel sent to me from Strubens Valley Postnet. When I received the parcel it weighed 0,846Kg and was within the dimensions allowed for an Econoparcel. The sender paid R66, 00 to post it to me! The invoice just indicated "Postal Service".

I informed the sender that this parcel could have cost him R21, 50 had he sent it as an Econoparcel through SAPO. I explained the actual allowed size and weight for an Econoparcel to him, and said that he should have demanded the parcel to be posted as an Econoparcel.

This guy went back to Postnet furious. He queried them, and the lady behind the counter just told him that she could not care what SAPO dimensions and weight allows, they now only charge volumetric weight! BEWARE!!

lilythepink

If the person behind the counter won't listen to reason, stand your ground and ask to see the Postmaster/Postmistress. We do NOT have to tolerate inefficiency at the PO. The sooner they realise that we will expect them to follow the rules, they will stop giving us grief. But it means a concerted effort from all of us!

moodTime
Hi everyone- here's the promised feedback. PO circular 49/13 (the most recent one) determines that postage on parcels not exceeding 30kg/1meter in length will ONLY BE CALCULATED BY WIGHT.......not volume!! BOB.....please bring this to the attention of buyers and sellers? There are too many sellers who still charge volumetrical mass tariffs.

Thanks, you are correct. My post office also confirmed this today.

NooNooBug

When I queried it our PO knew nothing about it ! Thanx Ana Ria for the heads up, will go in later with the circular number and ask again !