Sign in to follow this  
bushbuckSA

Late Bids

bushbuckSA

The facility where auctions remain open with late bids is really irritating. What is the point of having a closing time for an auction if it is then extended. It is like going to a live auction and the auctioneer drops the hammer, goes for a cup of tea and then returns to resume the auction. I enjoy the excitement of the auction but am often disappointed to see that I lost because I have moved to another. Can someone explain the logic of this arrangement to me.

Just Beachin

Greetings BushbuckSA, and welcome to the forum.

I have also gone back and forth with this dilemma. But it appears to me that if you bid on an auction that somebody else has already bid on, the previous bidder has an opportunity to counter your new offer and it doesn't appear to be open to new bidders at this point. In other words it becomes between you and the other interested bidding parties (should they be paying attention and want to increase their bid). That is what I have observed...somebody please correct me if I'm wrong:confused:

RISadler

The primary reason is to prevent "auction sniping," which is a serious problem on eBay.

As a seller, I like the facility ... quite a few times I've watched two bidders duke it out for close to an hour after the auction officially closed; once a third bidder even entered the mêlée; and all times realising a considerably higher final price!

As a buyer, it helps a lot when several auctions are all closing at the same time.

windrider

It's indeed a serious issue on eBay, but it also seems to be the way a lot of buyers and sellers prefer it. Unfortunately, if you have a slower connection than the other bidder you lose out. Late bids can be annoying, but at least you have an option to stop and ask if this is the price you want to pay. Auctions can be exciting, but it is so easy to get carried away.

dstorm

In a real live auction there is no closing time. I just love this feature.

bushbuckSA

Now I really don't understand. I tried to bid on an auction with the late bid thingy visible but the

auction closed at the exact time that it was supposed to. Just cant win this one!!!

Just Beachin
Now I really don't understand. I tried to bid on an auction with the late bid thingy visible but the

auction closed at the exact time that it was supposed to. Just cant win this one!!!

Please refer to post #2 :idea:

RISadler

The facility works like this ... if a bid is placed within the final three minutes before the auction closes, then the auction is extended by another three minutes. This means that if somebody had bid on the item a day before, then the auction is not automatically extended and it will still close at the specified time. The bid must be placed within the final three minutes in order for the facility to be activated.

JANDS

I enjoy the adrenaline of the chase. As a buyer it is lekker man.....even lekkerder when as a seller, you suddenly see your item sold for far higher than you expected. However....Hey Admin, I want one of those middle-finger thingies to flip at a certain service-provider with gprs speed advertised as 3G and Hsdpa and Hsupa. Can you okies organise me one? That service-provider is the cause of much profanity and me shouting k@k at the walls when they drop me 10 seconds before an auction closes.

BTW Bushbuck...keep reloading that page in the last moments. Good luck mate.

bushbuckSA
The facility works like this ... if a bid is placed within the final three minutes before the auction closes, then the auction is extended by another three minutes. This means that if somebody had bid on the item a day before, then the auction is not automatically extended and it will still close at the specified time. The bid must be placed within the final three minutes in order for the facility to be activated.

At last, someone who actually explained exactly how it works.Thanks so much!!