Sign in to follow this  
BargainFinder

How to block a bidder??

BargainFinder    10
BargainFinder

Hi all. Perhaps someone can help me out here. In the past couple of weeks I have literally lost thousands in listing fees to unrated and negative rated bidders who do not follow through with the transaction or ask for bids to be deleted at the very last minute.

I currently have a bidder who is unrated and asked numerous questions then after 2 days this morning asks for his bid to be deleted as he typed in error. I then obliged and warned him that any future buds placed by him on any of my items will be deleted. He now persists to constantly bid on the same item on which he asked for his bid to be deleted? Is there any way for me to block this buyer??

My concern regarding this bidder also stems from the fact that on a similar auction by another seller about 2 weeks ago he did the very same thing and then asked for his bid to be deleted with 30mins left on the auction.

ZoneMan    11
ZoneMan

The only way I know to BLOCK is after completed SNC, the "block" option is added - see below:

[TABLE=width: 100%]

[TR]

[TD]451073-768652737-s.gif[/TD]

[TD=colspan: 2]Bear Grylls Compact Scout Knife[/TD]

[TD]1 x[/TD]

[TD=align: right]R51.00[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=colspan: 4]Id: 101136124 | Code: bg-cs[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=colspan: 4]Won: 29 May 22:31[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=colspan: 4]1x1_trans.gifEdit | SNC Status : No Response from buyer | Block Buyer | View Bids | Copy or Relist[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

....thing is this is 2 weeks AFTER the auction closed... and these idiots create accounts and just do it again.

The other option is to just delete bids from unrated/negative scored buyers. But BoB does a lot of marketing and there is LOTS of genuine new buyers out there!

My suggestion is to state your terms for payment (like 48hrs) and after that offer it to as PO the next highest bidder.

PS: I've been eyeing a few of your listings - very nice kit. It is a (costly) schlep to have priority listings spoiled.

admin    0
admin

Hi BargainFinder,

You can only block a buyer if you sold to them and had a negative experience, but due to other reasons electronic buyers (no ratings) Blacklisted

admin    0
admin

The other option is to just delete bids from unrated/negative scored buyers. But BoB does a lot of marketing and there is LOTS of genuine new buyers out there!

That is unfortunately not an option, to delete bids from unrated buyers, and action is taken against sellers using this option:

6.1.7 Bid deletion by a seller is not permitted without a valid reason or without the permission of bidorbuy, unless the bidder requests this in accordance with the Consumer Protection Act, then bids must be removed before the close of the auction.

Terms And Conditions of This Site

BargainFinder    10
BargainFinder

@admin. thanks a million for the quick response. I've been having really bad luck with recent auctions and was concerned that bidder was going to ruin today's auction.

@zoneman. Thanks for the reply and advice. I have noticed you have been bidding on a few of my items recently. Look forward to doing business in the near future

geewhizz    20
geewhizz

:colbert:I would seriously like to type this in capitals.Whether I do or not I am Shouting.

This "Thing" of deleting bids is open to abuse and something must be done about It.

I had a bidder ask for a bid to be deleted and because there were a few bids by this person the price dropped from R150 to R71

Imagine if this was a car for R150,000.00 the price would drop by half if 2 bidders were in ca-hoots.

All the bids the user submits are deleted. This is nonsense. If the previous bidder was prepared to pay the next lower price then only the bidders last bid should be deleted.

Fortunately the item eventually sold for much more than R150 but any user can be in Ca-Hoots with another user to have bids deleted at the last minute to bring the price down.

If the user asks for bids to be deleted near the closing time it is best to let the sale go through then make a personal offer to the next bidder

The fact that this was an unrated buyer makes it likely that suspicious activity was probably taking place.Just saying

Bob should look into this and if a user continually does this, the seller should report it in order to see whether underhand activity is taking place. AMEN :rolleyes:

Edited by geewhizz

BargainFinder    10
BargainFinder

Ok guys....Please bear with me as i vent my frustration over the past weeks auctions. In the past week I have lost a total of R425 in listing fees alone to unrated bidders who have not completed there purchases. I have also had 1 bidder who had 100% positive ratings who calls me after winning this auction which in the title boldly states 'PLEASE READ' and states that i am misrepresenting my item as being a new item. If she had just called and said she made a mistake when bidding i probably would have reconsidered the negative rating she will be getting once the SNC is finalised.

And to top all this off BOB has already deducted the R575 success fees for all these failed auctions from a BOBPay EFT that came in from a legitimate bidder.

And on the topic that Geewhizz has brought up regarding car auctions I have lost in excess of R1500 this past year alone on listing fees for vehicle auctions that have not gone through.

Oh and 1 more thing....This weekends auctions.....7 Auctions! 5 Rated Bidders who have all contacted me to finalise. 2 Unrated new bidders who are uncontactable. I will now be deleting any unrated bidders on my auctions regardless of when they joined.

Thanks guys for allowing me this Rant.

qball    10
qball
Ok guys....Please bear with me as i vent my frustration over the past weeks auctions. In the past week I have lost a total of R425 in listing fees alone to unrated bidders who have not completed there purchases. I have also had 1 bidder who had 100% positive ratings who calls me after winning this auction which in the title boldly states 'PLEASE READ' and states that i am misrepresenting my item as being a new item. If she had just called and said she made a mistake when bidding i probably would have reconsidered the negative rating she will be getting once the SNC is finalised.

And to top all this off BOB has already deducted the R575 success fees for all these failed auctions from a BOBPay EFT that came in from a legitimate bidder.

And on the topic that Geewhizz has brought up regarding car auctions I have lost in excess of R1500 this past year alone on listing fees for vehicle auctions that have not gone through.

Oh and 1 more thing....This weekends auctions.....7 Auctions! 5 Rated Bidders who have all contacted me to finalise. 2 Unrated new bidders who are uncontactable. I will now be deleting any unrated bidders on my auctions regardless of when they joined.

Thanks guys for allowing me this Rant.

I'm afraid if you start to delete bids from unrated bidders you will receive a warning and possibly have your account restricted. We will not permit this from any seller.

Whilst we do understand the frustration, listing fees are optional (in most cases), they are for advertising your product, to get better exposure and ranking. These are charged regardless whether an item sells or not. So if you had no bids or buyers, you would still pay the fees.

Fees are charged as soon as the auction closes with a winner, we have the SNC process in place for you to reclaim these fees in the event of a failed sale.

We trust we will not be seeing seller's deleting bids just because they have no ratings. This is discriminatory and would in our view contravene the Consumer Protection Act.

geewhizz    20
geewhizz
:colbert:I would seriously like to type this in capitals.Whether I do or not I am Shouting.

This "Thing" of deleting bids is open to abuse and something must be done about It.

I had a bidder ask for a bid to be deleted and because there were a few bids by this person the price dropped from R150 to R71

Imagine if this was a car for R150,000.00 the price would drop by half if 2 bidders were in ca-hoots.

All the bids the user submits are deleted. This is nonsense. If the previous bidder was prepared to pay the next lower price then only the bidders last bid should be deleted.

Fortunately the item eventually sold for much more than R150 but any user can be in Ca-Hoots with another user to have bids deleted at the last minute to bring the price down.

If the user asks for bids to be deleted near the closing time it is best to let the sale go through then make a personal offer to the next bidder

The fact that this was an unrated buyer makes it likely that suspicious activity was probably taking place.Just saying

Bob should look into this and if a user continually does this, the seller should report it in order to see whether underhand activity is taking place. AMEN :rolleyes:

What about this Cuan??

BargainFinder    10
BargainFinder

Hi Cuan

I do understand how sellers deleting unrated bidders could have a negative effect on auctions and future sales however please look at this from my point of view. I use almost all the advertising options available to me and really dont mind paying for it as it increases the exposure to my items however after every failed sale I now have to add the listing fees of that failed auction to the costing of the product.

This further tightens the noose on an already strained profit margin. I totally understand that you need to look out for the best interest of prospective new BOBers but you need to take into consideration the sellers as well. I strongly believe that my listing of a R350000 motor vehicle at 'R1 no reserve' with all the optional advertising options is not only beneficial to me but to BOB as well as the sheer excitement around these types of auctions bring in many new prospective bidders who probably otherwise would not have even visited this site.

All i am asking for is that some sort of verification process is put into place with newly registered bidders. I mean the profiles on most of these bidders who default dont even have a complete address and phone number. Surely that is a dead giveaway that a person really has no intention of following through with the transaction.

I'm not sure if i am being too petty about this whole situation and I would love to hear the views of other sellers regarding this matter and any criticism any BOBers may have on this issue.

Regards

qball    10
qball

In terms of the CPA, if we receive a request we are required by law to action it, as is the seller.

You will need to remove the bid. Just because the user is unrated sellers should not automatically assume they will not conclude the transaction. Yes, if a user continually asks for bids to be deleted, report it to us and we will take action against the bidder, either with a warning or suspension of their account, but we have to take into consideration the "discriminatory" clauses in the CPA.

qball    10
qball
Hi Cuan

I do understand how sellers deleting unrated bidders could have a negative effect on auctions and future sales however please look at this from my point of view. I use almost all the advertising options available to me and really dont mind paying for it as it increases the exposure to my items however after every failed sale I now have to add the listing fees of that failed auction to the costing of the product.

This further tightens the noose on an already strained profit margin. I totally understand that you need to look out for the best interest of prospective new BOBers but you need to take into consideration the sellers as well. I strongly believe that my listing of a R350000 motor vehicle at 'R1 no reserve' with all the optional advertising options is not only beneficial to me but to BOB as well as the sheer excitement around these types of auctions bring in many new prospective bidders who probably otherwise would not have even visited this site.

All i am asking for is that some sort of verification process is put into place with newly registered bidders. I mean the profiles on most of these bidders who default dont even have a complete address and phone number. Surely that is a dead giveaway that a person really has no intention of following through with the transaction.

I'm not sure if i am being too petty about this whole situation and I would love to hear the views of other sellers regarding this matter and any criticism any BOBers may have on this issue.

Regards

Thank you for your feedback.

If you cannot accept the risk of auctioning goods off at low pirces, then I recommend you use Buy Nows. No one forces seller's to enhance or use auctions, you do so at your sole discretion and as such assume all risks including costs of doing business, as with any other business that advertises on any form of media - advertising does not guarantee sales.

Our experience has taught us that verifiying a user does not guarantee they will make payment. We will also not be implementing deposit taking from bidders as this business practice has traditionally failed. We are looking at including a OTP for cell phones upon registration but again, this will not guarantee that a bidder will conclude the transaction.

BargainFinder    10
BargainFinder

Once again I really think you are missing the point here. At no point have i mentioned that I did not understand the risk of selling my goods at low prices. However that risk is calculated and as a seller i am aware of what the possible outcome of an auction could be. The loss associated with bidders who do not pay however is a loss that we do not foresee and this affects not only the profit from the goods after they are successfully sold but also the cash flow of a seller as the more often then not the item will only go on auction a week later at the next Wed, Fri or Weekend auction.

I also am not implying that any of the methods you have mentioned regarding verification be implemented as one can see the millions of different hurdles that can arise from any of these options. However a simple compulsory address field that accepts information via drop down boxes that flters out from Country, City, Town, Suburb, etc would in my opinion make a world of difference.

I also understand that this would not eradicate the problem but for arguments sake even if this only causes a reduction of about 10% in failed transactions it would be of a benefit to both BOB and the seller.

geewhizz    20
geewhizz

I still do not have an answer on this

qball    10
qball

This has been answered in a previous post.