Sign in to follow this  
dstorm

Have you lost any philatelic parcels in the mail?

dstorm    10
dstorm

Hello to all stamp sellers AND buyers.

I am writing in my official capacity as an executive committee member of SAPDA (South African Stamp Dealers Association).

We are aware of a couple of instances where philatelic parcels “went missing in the mail”.

If you have lost any philatelic parcels in the mail during the last couple of years, please post your comments here on the forum or contact me via pm. It is of the utmost importance that both the dispatching and the receiving post offices should be named. Should you desire so, complete confidentiality will be guaranteed.

Thanks and regards

Jacques Kuun

ATA STAMP CENTRE    10
ATA STAMP CENTRE
Hello to all stamp sellers AND buyers.

I am writing in my official capacity as an executive committee member of SAPDA (South African Stamp Dealers Association).

We are aware of a couple of instances where philatelic parcels “went missing in the mail”.

If you have lost any philatelic parcels in the mail during the last couple of years, please post your comments here on the forum or contact me via pm. It is of the utmost importance that both the dispatching and the receiving post offices should be named. Should you desire so, complete confidentiality will be guaranteed.

Thanks and regards

Jacques Kuun

Hello Jacques

Perhaps i am one of the fortunate ones.

In almost 5 years of selling on Bob,and 18 500 items dispatched (obviously less parcels due to combining) but a very large amount of parcels weekly,i have to date ,not lost a single registered or speed service parcel,many containing valuable items.

I have lost possibly 3 items in 5 years sent by ordinary mail,low value items of course where the buyer did not receive the envelope and 1 insured parcel to the Netherlands was stated by buyer as not received.

One or two buyers have informed me of the parcels being opened but the contents were not interfered with and arrived complete.

SO we are all aware of the witspos hub and the problems there,i can say ,and i touch wood,i am happy with the post office service as my experiences have been positive.

regards

Neil

dstorm    10
dstorm

Hello Neil

Thank you very much for your reply.

I am also very happy with the service from the post office (I have lost one parcel during the last strike).

Our investigation is therefore not aimed at SAPO.

Keep well and regards

Jacques

R

RISadler    10
RISadler

One "parcel" containing four items ... got the "Negative" ratings for trying to be economically friendly ... although I suspect the person actually received the stamps and just wanted more.

voldermort    10
voldermort

In all my years of trading I have "lost" one envelope - registered to Holland. (registered only & not insured because buyer did not want to pay insurance on the items) SAPO gave me the date it left RSA, flight number, time out, time in etc etc & also tried at least 3 times to resolve this matter with the Dutch Post Office, who very nicely told them to go fly a kite - they were not interested as in their words if I remember correctly "these things are bound to happen occasionally". They actually had the audacity to say "perhaps the plane the envelope was sent on crashed". Very unlikely seeing as we know it landed in Holland with the envelope still safely intact.

In this instance SAPO was quite clearly free of any blame & bent over backwards trying to resolve this matter, it has however left me very wary of ever posting to Holland again.

alloway65    10
alloway65

In the last year I have lost only two snail mail Philatelic packages, no tracking, no insurance, both from CT, one for RDO and one from leonfsmith...receiving PO Honeydew.

seahorsefanatic    10
seahorsefanatic

Hi Jacques

Where do I start ? I had a box at Bryanston for many years until all my overseas mail was targeted and stolen. Some registered mail also never arrived. I was told by the branch manager that they were investigating a syndicate which was operating from the Bryanston Post Office but that was all he was prepared to say. Some of my ebay purchases ended up at a local dealers house and I was able to recover some of the items after paying the " so called " bribe. I then closed that box and moved to another post office. Since then I've had one registered item from ATA Centre that was opened and some of the stamps missing. The second item also registered and never arrived was from Cape Town. Another registered item that reached Witspos in April and since then has still not been found also sent from Cape Town.

So in summary I have 3 registered items that were either tampered with or stolen and all originated from the fairest Cape. .

alloway65    10
alloway65

I think Cape Town is a problem area....as a few of us have had problems with packages from Cape Town.

JohnBenn    10
JohnBenn

None so far,and fingers kept crossed. Everything is registered with insurance.

Jongleur    10
Jongleur
I think Cape Town is a problem area....as a few of us have had problems with packages from Cape Town.

Can`t play rugby either.

JohnBenn    10
JohnBenn
Can`t play rugby either.

Such truth I have not seen in a year.

dstorm    10
dstorm

Hello all

Thanks for all the posts / replies.

In a direct reply to the posts by Seahorsefanatic and Alloway.

Is it possible that (rather than Cape Town) the Northern suburbs could be the problem? Could it be that a person / syndicate is intercepting parels with the help of a post office employee from a post office in the Northern suburbs? Keep in mind that most internet sites are open books are far as sales are concerned. So if you bought from me in the past, I will know your postal address. Should you then buy an expensive item from another dealer on the net (this can be monitored by anybody) the corrupt person can advise the post office employee to be on the look out for a parcel from address A to address B.

I am hoping to hear some more!

Keep well and regards

Jacques

voldermort    10
voldermort
Can`t play rugby either.

stay on topic or you shall be banned - and stop hating on our wonderful rugby players.........

Jongleur    10
Jongleur
stay on topic or you shall be banned - and stop hating on our wonderful rugby players.........

Yes ma`am. :sad:

librashares    10
librashares

"Missing philatelic Items"

Hello all

Thanks for all the posts / replies.

In a direct reply to the posts by Seahorsefanatic and Alloway.

Is it possible that (rather than Cape Town) the Northern suburbs could be the problem? Could it be that a person / syndicate is intercepting parels with the help of a post office employee from a post office in the Northern suburbs? Keep in mind that most internet sites are open books are far as sales are concerned. So if you bought from me in the past, I will know your postal address. Should you then buy an expensive item from another dealer on the net (this can be monitored by anybody) the corrupt person can advise the post office employee to be on the look out for a parcel from address A to address B.

I am hoping to hear some more"

Jacques

Hi Jacques, I did have a problem very similar to Seahorsefanatic a few years back, and my solution was relatively simple: I changed my receiving Name , Box Number, and receiving Post Office for philatelic items. I still receive many Registered items at my regular address, but most of these are company Annual reports, notices of General meetings, speeding fines etc- amazingly, none of these ever go missing.

My Items originating overseas- i have these sent to a relatives' address and they bring me the items when they visit. It is a pain in the butt to do things this way, but it means I have received everything that has been sent to me since my mail no longer goes via the Bryanston Post office. Outgoing mail is posted at one of many other offices available, and everything securely wrapped has arrived intact. Items valued in excess of the price of two tankfulls of petrol have been sent via Royal Mail, and these have also arrived safely. Chales.

dstorm    10
dstorm
Hi Jacques, I did have a problem...via the Bryanston Post office.

I now remember your incident / was partially involved in it - "our" South Africa railway stamps ordered from Australia went missing. Bryanston again.

Keep well and regards

Jacques

cgbrown    10
cgbrown

Registered Post & General

I have purchased a number of items in the last three months and been pleasantly surprised by the Post Office. All items sent by registered mail and all items received undamaged and not tampered with.

As far as parcels incoming from overseas or outgoing from here this is a definite NO NO. Too much doesn't arrive. The problem in South Africa seemed to occur between suburban post offices and the main office. All overseas parcels posted at Jeppe Street arrived. Fortunately we have internet shopping now.

Chris

BABADAUD    10
BABADAUD

Edited by BABADAUD

eehamm    10
eehamm

What is the status of missing mail lately, nearly two years hence ?

Is there improvement or is it worsening ?

seahorsefanatic    10
seahorsefanatic

Hi there

Had another classic experience with out inept SA Post Office.

This order was held back from last year to avoid the postal strike.

Had a parcel of 6 Davo Albums posted via EMS ( Expedited Mail Service ) from Belgium to South Africa. Items left Belgium on 13 January 2015 ( long after strike ) and arrived in South Africa on 6 February 2015. Must be the slowest flight I have ever heard of. After getting the total runaround by the local officials, I was told to collect item from Post Office in OR Tambo International Airport. When I got there was again told that I should go to the EMS Centre in Jet Park.

When I got there they found my parcel, brought it to the counter but kept it under the counter until I had paid the customs. Item was on a trolley which was taken to the end of the counters where I was told that I could use the trolley to my car but had to sign it out first. I smelt more than a rat and decided to pick up my parcel. It should have weighed about 10kg but when I picked it up I found it weighed at least double and then the stench hit my nose. The parcel was broken and soaking wet and had midges flying around. I refused to sign for it and took it back to the counter.

What annoys me is that the retard at the counter would have known it was damaged when she fetched it but made me pay the customs first and thought I was dumb enough that I was going to sign for it and leave the building which would have left the post office clear of blame. I was then shown the computer screen which reflected that the parcel had arrived damaged. I had to take a photo of the screen as they could not give me a copy as the photocopier was broken.

To add insult to injury, I now have to wait for 1-2 months to get my customs refunded. I have also since learnt that a lot of parcels were stored outside at the time and it rained hence the water damage. I hardly think it could have rained inside the plane. Are the EMS Centre not in contravention of rules on the storage of mail ? i.e. to keep it safe from damage and theft.

I may be under a misconception here as I'm assuming this came from Belgium via aeroplane. Maybe this was via Ship ? Why did it take 24 days to get here. Why did it get wet ? etc, etc

EMS = Extreme Miserable Service

Now I have to replace items and re-order. What an advertisement for our dismal postal services in this country

Edited by seahorsefanatic
spelling