Sign in to follow this  
Colin_P

Procedure when the wrong postal code is used?

Colin_P    10
Colin_P

I had a parcel sent to me, but put the wrong postal code down, and it's now sitting at the wrong post office. The sender tells me that it'll cost R105 to have the parcel sent to the correct post office. I've already paid the money to them, but I was wondering if that's the normal price for that?

Cali Craft and Gems    10
Cali Craft and Gems

It all depends on WHO made the mistake with the postal code! If you made the mistake with your info provided, then you should cover the costs. If the seller made the mistake, then they must cover the cost. However, you can contact the post office branch directly where the parcel is currently (or your own branch / postmaster) and ask them for advice or assistance.

Colin_P    10
Colin_P

It was my mistake, and that's why I paid without questioning it.

Only afterwards did it occur to me that R105 is more than it cost to post in the first place, and I wondered if they have a built in idiot tax :)

Cali Craft and Gems    10
Cali Craft and Gems

The PO does charge for the parcel to be sent back to the seller, then the seller will probably have to repackage the item then go back to the PO to resend which could explain why the fee is much higher.

retailrush    10
retailrush

I am a seller and I once had a parcel go to the wrong post office. I picked it up because I continually track my parcels. I called the post office in question and they very kindly found the parcel, changed the incorrect post code and forwarded it on to the correct post office all at no cost. I suppose it all depends on the person you speak to on the day - I was lucky. I have also never had to pay for a parcel that was returned to me due to non collection by the buyer.

Colin_P    10
Colin_P

Thanks for the replies :)

YSLMAGIC    10
YSLMAGIC
I had a parcel sent to me, but put the wrong postal code down, and it's now sitting at the wrong post office. The sender tells me that it'll cost R105 to have the parcel sent to the correct post office. I've already paid the money to them, but I was wondering if that's the normal price for that?

i also had a customer parcel being sent to the wrong post office. when i called the post office to ask for it to be redirected to the correct post office i had to send it in writing and they informed me my client would need to pay R25 when collecting the parcel. Due to it happening over the strike period i sent my customer the R25 for him to pay and he was very happy...........but R105 really sounds excessive unless you are really paying for the fax and paper and effort to call:whistling:

Colin_P    10
Colin_P

The seller sent me an email today offering to refund the R105, but it's already been paid, and it was my mistake after all, so I'll just leave it as is.