Sign in to follow this  
Guest Guest

Value of Proof sets

Guest Guest

What is the approximate current value of a 1954 and 1959 proof set (Crown to farthing)

Thanks

Scott Balson

Guest Guest

PS the coins are not slabbed but held in the original box

jwither

No one ever gave you an answer, so I will.

No one can give you a value on these sets or for that matter any coin or set like these two without knowing what grade they either have or will receive from a TPG. But I think you already know that.

If you do not follow the prices of Union coins, you should be made aware that the pricing is really weak now versus what it was about 18 months ago. Some of the prices like the 1944 PCGS MS-64 BN penny (an actually scarce coin) which sold for $62 USD on eBay this week are absolutely pitiful. I should have bought it myself.

The 1959 crown seems to be one of the few Union coins that might be holding up reasonably well. I say "might" because I cannot tell you what it sells for now exactly. I only know that a "conditional rarity" business strike (admitedly a different coin) sold for what i would describe as a strong price within the last few months.

If you want to sell these two sets, I would ask someone here who has access to the CoinGuide SA for recent prices and I would also have this coin graded with either NGC or PCGS. The others, not really unless they are well above average. You could probably sell them ungraded to someone you already know in SA for about the same prices without the bother.

Hope this helps.

RISadler

Scott, the coins are worth whatever you are willing to pay for them; because using "cat. value" is akin to your dreaded fiat monetary system, as you are now basing the value on somebody else's opinion.