Sign in to follow this  
geejay50

Worldwide Internment Camp Tokens

geejay50

Dear Collectors,

I am a very modest Token Collector and because of this I decided to sell some Union Internment Camp Tokens (Second World War) on Bob recently because there are certainly some very avid collectors out there who would appreciate these undoubtably scarce iems.

After a few months of listing a buyer of some of them came from the USA and he was an excedingly quick payer and sent me a wonderful email thanking me for making these available and that they will now be posted on his selfmade website on Internment Tokens.

Even if you never have had an interest in this, please have a look at his website. It details a well set out and photographed collection of tickets and memorabilia that were issued during war time from concentration camps ,gettoes under seige , displacement camps etc basically from countries all over the world and South Africa has now received a representation thanks to the Tokens I sold to him.

The website is as follows : www.worldandmilitarynotes.com

So much pettiness exists around non collector issues in our market. Here is a real collector who has truly given mankind a legacy to remember the misbehaviour that has happened on behalf of war in our recent past.

Thank-you Mr David Frank !!

Geejay

Edited by geejay50

coinoisseur

Hi Georg

Thanks for posting the link. Undoubtly, the £1 (red) is the most scarcest of the interment camp tokens. I have one in my collection which I purchased 15 years ago from Chimperie Agencies when they ran auctions. I have never seen another one come on the market. Tokens is a nice area to collect because of the history behind each token.

I also say that one needs to have a secondary area of collecting, and tokens might just be that area.

Thanks again

Cheers

geejay50
Hi Georg

Thanks for posting the link. Undoubtly, the £1 (red) is the most scarcest of the interment camp tokens. I have one in my collection which I purchased 15 years ago from Chimperie Agencies when they ran auctions. I have never seen another one come on the market. Tokens is a nice area to collect because of the history behind each token.

I also say that one needs to have a secondary area of collecting, and tokens might just be that area.

Thanks again

Cheers

Thanks a lot Anthony for your input,

Mr Frank has asked me if I by any chance did have the One Pound and ten Shillings in these particular Tokens as he is looking for them.

If any collectors do have these two scarce denominations and would like to sell them, he would I am sure be very keen.

Georg

coinoisseur

This is what Dr Theron had to say about the tokens.

The Union Internment Camp pieces are perhaps the most interesting. They were struck at the Mint in Pretoria and after World War II, again very effectively recalled. To give an idea of camp life I will relate what was told to me in a letter from a very well known person who was interned at Koffiefontein.

Each internee got £1.10/- per month and all money from outside the camp was strictly prohibited. a set of Internment Camp tokens existed of 1d, 3d, 6d, 1/-, 2/-, 10/- and £1. The camp had a canteen or shop, controlled and run by the internees themselves, where they could buy sugar, soap, toothpaste cigarettes etc. Every internee had to pay a camp fee and out of that the shop manager got a salary of £5 per month, and the cook and also the foreman of the vegetable peelers received extra pay. The peelers themselves only got £1.10/- per month.

At the beginning when somebody escaped from the camp, the internees were each fined £1 but this rule was latter changed. One day all internees were instructed to hand in all money they had in their possession and each were given a receipt for his amount so handed in. The reason was that the camp authorities made the discovery that there was a lot more money in circulation than was originally issued and it was subsequently found that only the £1 pieces were so affected.

This state of affairs was caused by the fact that two of the internees in the camp made a machine with which they turned out forged £1 pieces made from a suitcase that had the same colour pressed fibre as the genuine £1 pieces. these forgeries were of such excellent quality that tiwas just abount impossible to distinguish them from the genuine pieces. The scheme was uncovered when one of the forgers, on his discharge, wanted to take the machine out with him and packed it into his suitcase. There it was found in a routine check by the authorities.

The only difference between the genuine £1 pieces and the forged pieces was that the latter broke more easily. so it is quite possible that some £1 pieces may turn up today that are in fact forgeries.

Edited by Coinoisseur