Sign in to follow this  
EverBright

Price Error in Listing, please help or advice

EverBright    10
EverBright

Hi,

I wanted to sell the following item in R1 auction in Weekend Special.

Internal Drives (Laptop) - SAMSUNG SPINPOINT **320GB** FASTEST 5400RPM 2.5" SATA INTERNAL HARD DRIVE (BRAND NEW) was sold for R1.00 on 3 May at 15:02 by EverBright in Johannesburg (ID:98271706)

Instead of creating R1 auction Listing i mistakely created R1 buy now listing. someone saw the listing and placed an order in the 1st min and now wants me to sell the brand new hard drive for R1.

I immediately emailed the buyer to inform about the mistake and i tried to explain that it was an error but he said he already made payment etc. etc , and i should complete the sale as per bob rules.

I understand that it was my responsibility to check everything carefully and I always try to make my listing clear and error-free but at the end of the day, i am also human and can make mistakes.

i tried to search on the internet about this situation and its still not clear but what i understand is if its a genuine error, the seller may inform the buyer and cancel the deal (you can see it was a genuine error - how could i list a brand new hard drive for R1 buy now price deliberately?)

i also understand that buyer or seller are both bound to follow bob ruling on disputed matters and i would appreciate it if someone from bob can give comments / instruction to resolve the issue?

Thank you

MiemsJewels    10
MiemsJewels

Schucks! Very unfair from the buyers side! Hope you can sort this out!

Edited by MiemsJewels

Just Beachin    10
Just Beachin

Bummer!, You got a tough choice here. You can say "sorry" to the best of your ability and not follow through, against bob rules, I know,(but so many buyers do not honor their agreements),and live with the negative rating, or honor your "buy now" and eat the loss. I know you have considered these two options......but that is where you are:sad:

ZoneMan    11
ZoneMan

I had similar issues - made a mess with the closing time of CrazyAuction - AM not PM after time in bulkloader... took the loss (not close to yours though!!!)

Tough choice. Thing is a "resonable man" would surely spot that something went wrong when a vendor has a R1 price tag on an item that is worth several hundreds of Rands... I think your buyer did not act in good faith.

Just Beachin    10
Just Beachin
I had similar issues - made a mess with the closing time of CrazyAuction - AM not PM after time in bulkloader... took the loss (not close to yours though!!!)

Tough choice. Thing is a "reasonable man" would surely spot that something went wrong when a vendor has a R1 price tag on an item that is worth several hundreds of Rands... I think your buyer did not act in good faith.

Disagree Zoneman, the buyer does not have to expect a mishap, they saw a great deal and acted on it. It is up to the seller to appeal to the buyer that he made a mistake, and try to negotiate a reasonable settlement, otherwise renig. If it were me, I would do that, and if the buyer was unresponsive to my situation, I would follow through.

Fashion Police    10
Fashion Police

It's pretty obvious to anyone that your listing price was an error; Tell's you a lot about the buyer though, doesn't it? Some people are all for themselves.

Colin_P    10
Colin_P

Thanks for that link Fashion_Police, I learnt something from it.

ZoneMan    11
ZoneMan

:I guess you base your opinion on the following extract forom this article

"One party must make a firm offer to another which may be accepted or rejected.

When an incorrect price is discovered, the store owner has the right to refuse to accept the offer of payment from a customer, so no contract is formed."

The common law states that a price in a store is only an indication of what the customers should "offer" to pay - that is why the store owner has the right to reject such an error. The problem is that an item listed on BoB my be considered an "offer" by the seller and as soon as the buyer accepts it, a binding contract is formed...

Thing is that this buyer did not act in good faith.

admin    0
admin

Thank you all for your input, the seller and buyer reached an amicable solution.

andreace    10
andreace

Not so at all as the Consumer Protection Act comes into play viz, [h=3]Obvious errors[/h]If there is an obvious error in a price displayed, the supplier will not be bound by that price if the supplier corrects the error and informs the consumer of the correct price before the sale is concluded. The supplier is not obliged to sell the goods to the consumer at the patently incorrect price. It follows that if the price is not obviously incorrect the seller will be bound by the displayed price but, the seller will not be bound where the price displayed in relation to any goods or services has been changed, covered or removed by an unauthorised person. It is a criminal offence for anyone to tamper with the supplier’s prices.