Sign in to follow this  
JORYHA TRADING

Sa post office compelled to charge volumetric on every package

co_bra

Hi All, Just a warning about these new volumetric rates - If the parcel weighs around 7kg in weight but when the do the volume of the parcel and it calculates to around 30kg, it wont be accepted as the system wont allow a parcel which is 30kg or more. The SAPO simplier tell you to go somewhere else. I'm personally fighting to get econo parcel prices which is stated in the book if the parcel measurement 458 x324x100mm and under 1kg you pay R21.50 but every parcel you take to SAPO they measure it and end up paying anything between R40-R44. To find that they can override the system by put 1x1x1 and that is econo parcel. Again that depends who's helping you and how nice you are to them, when you get there!!

NooNooBug

Thanx for the heads up. I personally send lots of Econo parcel and haven't had them measure them, maybe because it is a small PO and they all know me. Surely if it doesn't meet the Econo Specs it would need to be measured for Volumetric Mass etc to get pricing, but if it fits meaurementwise etc into Econo it should fall into such, otherwise why have those dimensions listed? I would make them check in their rates book - nicely so as not to ruffle feathers...I have found from experience that they do not always know their products and sometimes you need to "help" them understand / explain their own rules !

BABADAUD

Edited by BABADAUD

NooNooBug
Please excuse me.

I hope someone might assist in answering my queries and clarify my confusion.

I live in a small remote place with a mere postal agency in the corner of the local shop. And to date have no experience of some of these new fangled wonders which you metropolitan people get to experience.

So clued up are the shop owner & his staff that it generally falls to me explain everything above & beyond local letter post sizes and tarrifs.I am. in effect, the training team for our past 3 postal counter clerks

I doubt that there is even an awareness of volumetric mass. But I am keeping schtum as i really know nothing about it except that it is likely to cost my buyers far in more in postage than the simple weight method.

I do however have issues with one seller whose feedback response to complaints of overcharging for postage is this:sort of thing:

Comment:

You pay R40 for postage plus little for packing plus fuel to PO. R120 postage?t Pathetic. Reasonable? BUYERS beware filed SNC after receiving payment

Response:

(25 Feb 2014)

PATHETIC YOU ONLY PAYED R1 FOR A STEAM POT, IS IT THAT WHY YOU COMPLETED THE SALE,BECAUSE YOU WANTED TO SHOW US HOW BE PATHETIC. Postage cost was R75.

Comment:

Although this seller has items as described, they charge excessive shipping and abuse the rating system. I will be staying far away from them.

Response:

(20 Nov 2013)

We have foundarrow-10x10.png the problem, the postage was R68 and we had to pay the extra in afterwards, they forgot to measure it.

I have received his parcel.

Dimensions of 50 x 40 x 25 cm = 50,000.

Divide by 5,000 = 10.

10 of what exactly?

Any way, the parcel weighs in at 4,390 gr which is written on the box = 5kg which = R57.20 based on weight.

The franking of 6 x B4 stamps plus the money paid on the computer label = R57.20 which is the total postage stated on the label.

That all balances.

In response to feedback from other buyers that seller has alleged that the PO failed to measure, printed the label, remembered to measure, and he had to pay in the extra.

Surely that extra would be represented on the package in the form of stamps or an additional computer label and the buyer would see it

Maybe I am a little dim and out of it these days. But as far, as I can recall, postage paid is always affixed to the package. Used to be stamps; now it is often computer labels. Otherwise that money, assuming it was paid, can simply vanish as there is no token of that payment deducted from PO stock nor added to PO computer records which should automatically print a label to be affixed to the parcel..

Am I correct in this?

I ask because when I bid I roughly estimated the cost of the package to about R70.00 .

He came up with R130.00.

I paid.

The package shows R57.20.

I know for sure this man will come up with "the PO forgot to measure & I had to put it in" story.

ah yes ! There is NO WAY that if the Po "forgot" to measure the parcel that it would nt be labelled as such ! In the event that they mis calculate or whatever, they usually either add stamps, if using, or RE-print the computer label etc, remove the old one & affix the new one... so ja these dear Sellers must think we all hatch out under a bush !