Sign in to follow this  
JORYHA TRADING

Sa post office compelled to charge volumetric on every package

JORYHA TRADING

Good morning BoBers

i have just been informed by the supervisor Helena at Cape Mail, that as from now every parcel scanned in at SAPO must follow strict protocol and cost of posting will no longer be taken on the weight of package alone. Every parcel MUST be measured and weighed and costs applied accordingly as per volumetric scales.

i had the horrid experience of undercharging on all of 10 parcels today. Where I charged the buyer R40 SAPO now charges me R44.00 volumetric! That is excluding packaging material plus carton.

Anybody else have this experience lately?

alloway65

Sent packages off the other and they were not weighed just compared against their standard template.

This weight/measuring was mentioned before on the BoB Forum!

Can you just imaging the PO staff measuring each parcel....and doing the calculations.......some large sellers would need their own Post Office.

MiemsJewels

I experienced the same and the amount payable for shippings was enourmous. Some of the amounts add up to more than R60. Not even mentioning the speedservice..

alloway65

What divisor does the PO use to calculate the volumetric weight, this divisor can vary depending of the type of good being shipped etc.....also do they compare the volumetric weight against the actual weight and then take the higher of the two figures?

My courier service uses different divisors for different shipment methods.

If not one could post a a small package, say a chunk of steel, then the actual weight would be higher than the volumetric weight.

MiemsJewels

The post office still weigh the small parcels. They weigh and measure the larger (box) parcels. They then feed all this measurement and weights into their çomputors and ......Voila....they get this enormous amounts.

retailrush

The volumetric measurement is the length x width x depth (cm) divided by 5000 and they charge whichever is the highest - they then compare the actual weight of the parcel and charge on which ever is the highest of the two. This information is listed in the current postal rates leaflet.

I have a parcel going out that I quoted R42.00 for postage in the listing because the item falls into a 2kg parcel range for pricing - but I will have to put it in quite a large box and the volumetric weight works out to 4.6kg - I will have to pay in the extra R20.00 or so postage that it is going to cost me.

I will have to now go through all my listings and see which items will need larger boxes for safe packaging etc and requote on the postage - I can't afford to undercharge and have to foot the extra cost myself.

alloway65
The post office still weigh the small parcels. They weigh and measure the larger (box) parcels. They then feed all this measurement and weights into their çomputors and ......Voila....they get this enormous amounts.

Ask them to explain the calculations to you and how the costs of each VW is arrived at! Also ask what is the baseline VW and baseline cost.

alloway65
The volumetric measurement is the length x width x depth (cm) divided by 5000 and they charge whichever is the highest - they then compare the actual weight of the parcel and charge on which ever is the highest of the two. This information is listed in the current postal rates leaflet.

I have a parcel going out that I quoted R42.00 for postage in the listing because the item falls into a 2kg parcel range for pricing - but I will have to put it in quite a large box and the volumetric weight works out to 4.6kg - I will have to pay in the extra R20.00 or so postage that it is going to cost me.

I will have to now go through all my listings and see which items will need larger boxes for safe packaging etc and requote on the postage - I can't afford to undercharge and have to foot the extra cost myself.

So the divisor they use is 5000...it can be as high as 9000.

The PO are really pushing more and more people to go the courier route.

NooNooBug

Out of the new booklet "Volumetric Mass Fees are based on the greater of the actual mass or the volumetric mass (ie length by width by height(cm) divided by 5000) are charged for non-documents (parcels)"

This seems like the standard calculation as for couriers, but would mean re-working our postal charges for larger items...oh dear more work ahead...but can't afford to start paying in on parcels...Thanx Joryha Trading for pointing it out !

svw

The same thing happened to me ! I posted a very light parcel weighing only 850 g but because of the volume ended up paying R 47 yet had only charged the buyer R 35 for shipping :mad:

Just Beachin

I'm so confused! Is this price increase over and above the normal specs given for track & trace?

NooNooBug

The normal pricing as per the pamphlet applies only if it is the small volume, otherwise you will be charged as per the volume using the calculation ( whichever is the greater). eg if you post a cake tin that weighs next to nothing, so should be like a 1kg parcel, but the "space" (volume) it takes up is then "converted" using the calculations and may end up costing as if it were a 2 kg parcel ! This basically means all of us that sell anything with odd shapes or large shapes will have to re-think our postage. Either we will be forced to remove preset postage due to the new parameters and will have to first quote for each & every parcel or it may end up costing us money everytime ! My concern now is what to do about combining items, as this is another possible headache ! Oh well will just have to make a plan...think think think...

Cali Craft and Gems

I took note of the calculation earlier in this thread and I'm glad I did! Had a parcel today that had to be packed carefully so ended up being in a larger box. I worked out the volumetric and compared it to the actual weight - strange thing was that they worked out to be the same overall price! At least I know now to rather pack things in the bubble envelopes where possible as the volumetric only applies to non-envelope parcels.

NooNooBug

Such a fine line sometimes because you have a certain item and add loads of bubble wrap thinking it doesn't weigh much so add some more, but now we will have to just be more aware ! Will need to choose my boxes more carefully !

alloway65

I am working on a package miniaturization device for larger packages so that the weight of the package will be the governing factor when the PO works out the shipping costs!
:wacko:

To lower the weight of a package add some helium balloons to the package....unfortunately helium is quite expensive.

Or some
BoB
Forumers are full of hot air so if you can harvest & package this hot air all the better, the problem here is the balloons will need to be much larger.
:shock:

svw

Okay so if it is a bubble wrap envelope we don't get charged for volume what will happen if I stick my item inside a box then stick that inside a very large brown envelope will I then be charged for weight only and not volume :confused:

Cali Craft and Gems

@ svw - Very good question!!!

RAG Auctioneers

This really sucks :-(

Our PO told us that we must have the volume weight calculated before we come so that it does not take forever.

Going to be a mission :-/ (We take 30 parcels at a time - all different sizes weights etc).

We are going to have to change our entire packaging thinking as well.

Just Beachin
The normal pricing as per the pamphlet applies only if it is the small volume, otherwise you will be charged as per the volume using the calculation ( whichever is the greater). eg if you post a cake tin that weighs next to nothing, so should be like a 1kg parcel, but the "space" (volume) it takes up is then "converted" using the calculations and may end up costing as if it were a 2 kg parcel ! This basically means all of us that sell anything with odd shapes or large shapes will have to re-think our postage. Either we will be forced to remove preset postage due to the new parameters and will have to first quote for each & every parcel or it may end up costing us money everytime ! My concern now is what to do about combining items, as this is another possible headache ! Oh well will just have to make a plan...think think think...

Thanks for clearing that up for me noonoo, I almost freaked out!

Not1CentMore

Sounds like USPS.... Part II.

As of 01 February, the US Post Office has raised (through the roof) the costs to ship International and has cancelled Global Priority services. Options now (15" x 10" x 15" parcel weighing 10-lbs for example) are:

Priority International $83.00USD (no insurance / approx. 6-wk in transit),

Express Mail International $103.00 (insured up to $400.00USD /10-15 days in transit)

Global Express $287.90USD (7-10 days in transit and insured up to $2500.00USD).

Our Post Mistress said USPS is losing money on International shipments (thus the increase) and are hoping the increased cost will 'nudge' shippers towards courier services. Of course, UPS/Fed-Ex raised their rates the first of February and both 'adjust' their fuel surcharge rates every two weeks, so a shipping quote one day may be +/- the next if it is during the adjustment period.

Another Postal increase due in October.

Are we having fun yet:confused:.

Ruthie

Edited by Not1CentMore

Cali Craft and Gems

Aaahhh... so that explains why the shipping alone on my current order at one of my major suppliers is just short of $950... and the super-star that he is gave me such a huge discount based on the quantity I've purchased that I'm now only having to pay in $60 towards USPS shipping - he's covering the rest!

NooNooBug
Okay so if it is a bubble wrap envelope we don't get charged for volume what will happen if I stick my item inside a box then stick that inside a very large brown envelope will I then be charged for weight only and not volume :confused:

Depends how LARGE your envelope is !!! I feel like we should test this theory just for fun....can always change our minds about posting it ...hehehe evil laugh !!

NooNooBug
This really sucks :-(

Our PO told us that we must have the volume weight calculated before we come so that it does not take forever.

Going to be a mission :-/ (We take 30 parcels at a time - all different sizes weights etc).

We are going to have to change our entire packaging thinking as well.

SAPO gets lazier...so what if you "mis-calculate" how will they know if they are too lazy to measure & work out? We should get discount if we have to do their work! It all depends on the branch though seriously...I am lucky as it is a small friendly branch where everyone knows everyone, but if I go into town to a bigger branch I always leave there irritated !

alloway65

Do your calculations in inches I am sure the PO will be non the wiser....also you are not being dishonest...only difficult!!!

Edited by alloway65

svw
Depends how LARGE your envelope is !!! I feel like we should test this theory just for fun....can always change our minds about posting it ...hehehe evil laugh !!

It worked ! Posted a few parcels today placed inside large brown paper envelopes - paid weight only :grin: