Sign in to follow this  
staccato

Margaret Thatcher the Iron Lady, R.I.P

staccato

[h=5]Britain’s first female Prime Minister, Margaret Thatcher, passed away at age 87 today following a stroke.:sad:[/h]

lilythepink

Baroness Margaret Thatcher reportedly died at the Ritz Hotel in London, UK.

Pik Botha found her a very attractive lady.

De Klerk said he was honoured to have had Margaret Thatcher as a friend.

Tannie Evita says her grandchildren said that the Iron Lady didn't die; she just rusted away.

She will receive a ceremonial funeral with full military honours at St Pauls Cathedral.

Margaret Thatcher is also reported as having once said: "Those who believe South Africa will one day be ruled by the ANC are living in cloud cuckoo land."

JohnBenn

"Those who believe the ANC could govern South Africa was living in cloud-cuckoo-land." (Many variations available on the net, I think this one is closer to the truth:whistling:)

A great lady she was...RIP.

(How are you doing Lily?)

dstorm

As you say there might be many variations, but this is the one I have heard - "would be ABLE to govern"....

Edited by dstorm

Ron888

Her greatest victory was the Falkland War. But I doubt whether it was necessary to sink the General Belgrano.

When her son was missing at a rally in Africa, she was crying. I felt her pain.

In retrospect, her proposals for the reunification of Germany were the best of all, although no one understood that then.

Margaret Thatcher and Helmut Kohl did not like each other, I do not really know why.

And I venture to say that she is not wrong regarding South Africa. Although the ANC is in government, they are NOT ruling this country.

"Ruling" is something different. This will be understood only in a distant future.

alloway65

I left the UK in 1969 because of the the trade unions vice like grip over businesses in the UK, we now need a Maggie here at the moment to sort out the TU's.....RIP Maggie.

MiemsJewels
I left the UK in 1969 because of the the trade unions vice like grip over businesses in the UK, we now need a Maggie here at the moment to sort out the TU's.....RIP Maggie.

True words spoken Alloway65.

RIP Maggie Thatcher.

dstorm

I think that Lily is right!

Just read on Politicsweb: ‘Anyone who thinks it is going to run the government in South Africa is living in cloud-cuckoo land,' she said of the ANC at the time."

amcintyre

Like her or hate her - she did get the job done. And she was quite witty in in her parliamentary speeches, which are on Youtube. "To those waiting with bated breath for that favourite media catchphrase, the 'U-turn', I have only one thing to say: "You turn [u-turn] if you want to. The lady's not for turning."