Sign in to follow this  
Pathway

Gemstone shipping?

Pathway    10
Pathway

Hi guys, I've been prowling around the gems stones lately, and wonder why it is that some of the sellers charge such inordinately high shipping? R50 or R55 for just plain postage with a tracking number? It doesn't even cost R22.00... and I know the padded envelopes also cost money (cheapest at the PO), but the stones probably weigh less than the envelope.

Just asking...

and not buying...

Lukeness    10
Lukeness

The tiny gemstone boxes cost about R15, and those are not the fancy ones. Often, with high value or bling items such as these, the costs of good presentation are quite high.

Pathway    10
Pathway

Good presentation is a 'nice to have' - but by the time the item is sold, the presentation has already been done.

Pathway    10
Pathway

Recently bought a stone from a seller, which arrived in a gem box, with an organza bag, and a little flower - the shipping was R25.00

Lukeness    10
Lukeness

I'm just offering one of the reasons. You know that different sellers have different policies and different things worked into their pricing.

While the presentation may have been done by the time of sale, with some high value items it is expected that they are sent in packaging of a certain standard.

I've seen sellers in some sections charging R150 for registered mail.

I've also seen some sellers who overcharge for shipping a single parcel but allow almost limitless combining of sales.

Some sellers are also open to discuss these fees.

Ultimately, you the buyer choose who to buy from.