Sign in to follow this  
MagicMan0027

Photography equipment insurance

MagicMan0027

I want to get insurance for my cameras; lenses and other photography equipment. I'm going to add it to insurance I currently have on my car and house contents. How do I go about getting it valued ? Can a photography store give me a valuation ? What is needed for the insurance if I have to put in claim if ever necessary? (I do not have my invoices)

I have a Canon 600D with Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens and Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F2.8 Di LD (IF) Macro lens.

Nikon D3000 with 18-55mm f3.5-5.6G AF-S VR DX as well as 55-300mm f4.5-5.6 G ED VR AF-S lens.

Then I have the extras like 2 spare batteries for each camera; hoods for the lenses; chargers; camera bags; monopod and tripod;etc

Thank you

[h=1][/h][h=1][/h]

RISadler

My opinion, don't bother.

I also went looking for insurance some time ago and found two or three companies willing to take my cash. But reading the fine-print, I found that (a) I will be paying for coverage I do not need, and (b) I will not be covered for that which I actually need the insurance. Oh, and © the gear was already covered by my house and car insurance, as applicable, which is where (b) came in.

svw
I want to get insurance for my cameras; lenses and other photography equipment. I'm going to add it to insurance I currently have on my car and house contents. How do I go about getting it valued ? Can a photography store give me a valuation ? What is needed for the insurance if I have to put in claim if ever necessary? (I do not have my invoices)

I have a Canon 600D with Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens and Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F2.8 Di LD (IF) Macro lens.

Nikon D3000 with 18-55mm f3.5-5.6G AF-S VR DX as well as 55-300mm f4.5-5.6 G ED VR AF-S lens.

Then I have the extras like 2 spare batteries for each camera; hoods for the lenses; chargers; camera bags; monopod and tripod;etc

Thank you

It all depends on the "fine print"! My one camera was stolen out of my office [which is attached to the house] together with a lot of other equipment and the insurance company very reluctantly paid out - then another time I had put my camera on a chair at a school concert, with the 500mm zoom lens attached and some bright spark sat on it - camera and lens were broken - due to some clause in the policy they did not pay out. I would speak to a broker and go through the fine print very, very carefully...