Sign in to follow this  
dstorm

R.I.P. Harry Birkhead

dstorm

Hello all

With anticipated permission I am pasting an email I have received last night:

“Very sadly I have to tell you that Harry Birkhead RDPSA, FRPSL, our well-respected Honorary Life President, died this afternoon of complications following heart surgery on 13th March 2013.

Harry was well-known to very many collectors. His brusque exterior covered a heart of gold and he was always willing to help anyone. He built most of the frames for our national exhibitions over many years, often in a great hurry, and was at most exhibitions ensuring that everything was in order. He was a very well-known collector of superb Rhodesian material and a great collector of Anglo-Boer War material , much of which was unique. He won the SA Grand Prix on a couple of occasions.

He will be truly missed by a great many people and our thoughts go out to his wife, Julia, and daughters Sylvia, Susan and Monica.”

Harry was also an Honorary Life Member of SAPDA. We thank you for EVERYTHING!

Whether one agreed or disagreed with Harry, one always knew where one stood with him. I doubt whether a single person who knew him well did not respect him.

The exhibition frames for the 2009 "Exhibition with a Difference" was set up in a record ONE DAY – solely because of Harry's slave driving. When I showed him my two bleeding thumbs he simply handed me a rubber mallet (I was expecting a whisky).

Rest in peace Harry.