Sign in to follow this  
Cali Craft and Gems

Advice please

Cali Craft and Gems

Here we go again...

Buyer received item, emails me stating that she wants to return the item as it does not match her pendant, but also wants a 100% refund including shipping.

I reply stating that she is most welcome to return the item (providing the address) but that as she received the exact item as advertised, the Returns Policy (as shown in our listings) applies and that in this case, a full refund does not apply.

Then the story suddenly changed to the earrings being a "totally different colour" than what was advertised and that my customer service is lacking as I am not complying to her requests.

When I state (again) on how to return the item providing the address again, she replies with "how do I know what she has received or not as the item is in front of her?!"...

I replied (again) that I personally feel that she is being unfair by issuing a negative rating because I do not want to give her a full refund for HER changing her mind!

I mean come on! Just because I refuse to jump to her instructions because the item she purchased does not match something else then it is my fault! I'll wear the negative rating on my profile proudly as I know I have done nothing wrong!

(PS. Is this how buyers manipulate sellers into giving in to their demands by playing around with negative ratings?)

Vinyl Lady Decals

Tell her you want a photo of all the items she got from you, this way you can prove you sent her what was advertised

Cali Craft and Gems

Wow - talk about getting nasty!

Buyer is now accusing me of blatantly sending her a completely different item! How on earth can she get an identical design in a totally different colour if our items are one-off unique pieces?

Should I even bother replying to this buyer?

Cali Craft and Gems

I have just about had it with this buyer! Below is the email I've received - I'm going on record that now I am going to ignore her - she is hitting every possible button for me to give her a full refund and I refuse to give in as the policy is clearly stated:

Hi Janet

I don’t care about the other how many customers – this is about my order and the fact that you have created a false impression on the website. I myself have bought things from you and was perfectly satisfied.

I am the one who has to repeat and repeat and repeat myself – clearly you don’t get it! So let me say this in point form:

• I am not saying that this is not the real item – I am saying that the colours don’t look the same. Trust me, I know about colours and, let me repeat myself, these two colours are very far apart. How many times must I still say this? And yes (repeating myself AGAIN), one never gets something that looks EXACTLY the same. But at least everything I have bought thus far has looked ALMOST the same – as it should be! Once again, you clearly did not read my email properly.
  • I have lots of work to do – so trust me, I will not waste my time writing to you if I thought I didn’t have a case.
  • I want a FULL refund, not minus 15% or minus postage.
  • I think your service is pathetic. Any good seller would have tried to satisfy their customers and would have listened to their complaint. Clearly you just don’t get it. I recommend that you learn how to work with customers. I myself work with many clients on a daily basis – so I know what I am talking about. Ever heard of the saying: “ The customer is always right”?
  • AGAIN: We are not talking here about all the hundreds of customers you have worked with. You and I are talking. This customer is not satisfied. So I suggest you listen to THIS customer. I will take a photo under normal, earring-wearing conditions and send it to you as soon as I have time. People don’t wear earrings under LED light conditions. We are on planet earth.
  • Anything more that I have to tell you AGAIN??

Be sure to know that neither I, nor my clients and family and friends will buy anything from you again.

Regards

Seeds for Africa

Silly question, but under the CPA does the buyer not have the right to return the item - without penalty (ie restocking fees)? From the buyers email I take it that you are a) wanting to deduct a R31.50 return handling fee (15% of the selling price) and that b) you wont pay the reshipping fee (I assume that the buyer would want R40 to return it as thats your shipping fee).

The buyer seems to be visibly upset....... would be interested to see your email that the buyer is responding to, that elicited such a strong response from the buyer.

I understand how you feel however in my experience for my business and reputation I would bite the bullet on this one, send the buyer an apology, give them a full refund (pay the reshipping fee too) and move on. I understand your principle, but is all the stress worth the R71.50 you are haggling with her about?

Cali Craft and Gems

The principle of the matter is that this is not the first time this buyer is pulling this move! She's given me grief on a previous purchase where she changed her mind about an item.

The copy of the email I pasted in was about her sixth or seventh so my response to her before this last one was not rude, but it was direct and me repeating what I had said in the previous few messages. (the messages just did not seem to sink in - like the return address, returns policy, colour issues, etc - I felt like a broken record!).

At the end of the day it is also how your buyer relates to you - if like this one it is stroppy, demanding, threatening and rude, then obviously no matter what it will rub the seller up the wrong way (example: "who cares" about your returns policy - this is what I am demanding!)

It is also not just R71.50 that it is all about - it is the principle. If I allow one buyer to get away with it (demands despite the policy), then it will happen again and no doubt with the same buyer! She already got this item at R100 less than marked which means that my profit margin is minute. She is wanting an additional R40 as she wants her postage back too (she wants my rate, not SAPO), and she paid via credit card so there are additional fees too. Not to mention my bank fees for the refund. I will end up losing for her changing her mind.

Re the CPA - as far as I believe this does not apply to auctions (discussed elsewhere on the forum).

I may be stubborn, but for once I am actually going to stand my ground. I will not be manipulated by someone else - the details of the item match 100% and it IS the item she won. Our jewellery items are one-off pieces as explained to her so there is no way that she got "another stone" from the item won.

Seeds for Africa

Re the CPA - as far as I believe this does not apply to auctions (discussed elsewhere on the forum).

Pretty sure the item you sold her was a "Buy Now" and not an auction. The point I was making, is I understand you are fighting a principle here, but sometimes it is best to let it go, refund the buyer, move on, and keep your businesses reputation intact.

Edited by Seeds for Africa

MiemsJewels

Janet, if I were you, I would have refund her money! Realy.....it will eliminate ALL stress, and at least the customer will be happy.

Cali Craft and Gems

Buyer is "too busy" to send me a photograph, to give me her information, and way too busy to pop the item back in the post! Our T&C's say 7-day return period, she is now over that limit too! She's been pushing too many buttons already! If she was serious about the issues at hand, she would have made a plan instead of getting rude and obnoxious!

NooNooBug

I think that your description is clear regarding possibility of colour differences. Your Return policy is clear. Buyer should have read, she is not a newbie so no excuses ! If she HAD to have a specific shade well then she took a chance buying via internet, just my opinion ! What are the chances of getting the exact colour you require if you order on the internet...mmm she clearly didn't think it through. Her mistake I am afraid, so why should the Seller loose out ? I understand all the let go move on, but also where does one draw the line ! If you start to give in then you may as well stop selling coz we are all trying to make some money here and if you have to loose R70 plus on several transactions it will add up. Ok I am getting off the soap box now ! Have a Blessed Easter everyone.

voldermort
I She is wanting an additional R40 as she wants her postage back too (she wants my rate, not SAPO)

Well it's not really that she wants an additional R40.00 but rather that she wants back what you charged her for postage & that was R40.00? If SAPO charged R10.00 postage that is beside the point - she didn't pay R10.00 postage, she paid R40.00.

Cali Craft and Gems

@V - because she paid R40 for the item from me she is wanting that back plus R40 for her to send the item to me - not the SAPO fee (not R40 plus R20)! Basically she is wanting R80 for the shipping, plus the item's price.

voldermort
@V - because she paid R40 for the item from me she is wanting that back plus R40 for her to send the item to me - not the SAPO fee (not R40 plus R20)! Basically she is wanting R80 for the shipping, plus the item's price.

Ah I see.

Best advice I can give you Janet, is to refund her the amount she paid for the item, R40.00 postage which she originally paid & R25.00 postage for her to send it back to you. (right now she probably wants R40.00 to post it back to you as you have rubbed her up the wrong way and her claws are out) Tell her once item is received you will refund her above total.

I DO know sometimes it really is not on & some buyers are notorious for complaining but the bottom line is you cannot do anything else but grin & bear it, your reputation is worth more than a few rand.

dstorm

The client is not always right, but according to my experience, he / she always feels that he / she has a legitimate reason to complain / ask for redress. That is the way business works.

See it from the client’s side.

Keep well and regards

Jacques

RISadler

How about ... (a) she keeps the item, (b) you give the whole purchase + postage price to the SPCA, and © then block the buyer? Thus, (a) she has nothing to really complain about anymore, as she basically got the item for free; (b) she doesn't feel you've stiffed here, you play on her feelings as refusing to give money to the SPCA is just downright nasty, and for you it's tax deductible; and © she can't pull this stunt again.

Cali Craft and Gems

@RI - I wish it was that easy...

a) She does not want the item

b) She wants a refund that totals to more than 100%!

c) She is "too busy" to send the item back and does not want to 'wait' for her refund. It must be done immediately!

d) She can only be blocked if an SNC is filed against her for non-payment so she will be free to mess me around and manipulate me as long as she pleases.

As mentioned before, I will wear this negative rating with pride because I know for a fact that I have done nothing wrong, except not to give in to her demands! Our T&C's are not "hidden", nor is our returns policy. If she does not like the item, she must follow the procedures to return it as per the listing - not as per her demands.

RISadler
I will wear this negative rating with pride because I know for a fact that I have done nothing wrong, except not to give in to her demands!
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Cali Craft and Gems

@ RI

:biggrin:

dstorm
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Is this a joke?

Or is this seriously the way you see our valued bob clients?

Cali Craft and Gems

I took it lightheartedly and that it was not directed at my BoB clients' under any circumstances. It made me smile after the lousy day I'd had.

RISadler
Or is this seriously the way you see our valued bob clients?
The idiot who gave me several negatives is certainly NOT a valued client to me. He may be one of yours, and everyone else's, but definitely not mine.