Sign in to follow this  
co_bra

New System at Post Offices

co_bra    10
co_bra

Hi All,Maybe I'm being blonde here but I found that the post office is no longer going by the weight of the parcels anymore. I had a world globe to post over this last weekend which I charged the customer R62 for it as it weighed 7kgs, to find that I was charged by the size of the parcel of 26kgs and costing me R150 to post. I was wondering has anyone else experience this or is this just here in our area. Thanks Co_bra

JORYHA TRADING    10
JORYHA TRADING

Hello Co_bra

The point of sale systems of all Post offices around the country are gradually being upgraded to the new system which now requires that every package gets weighed and measured and that strict volumetric pricing be charged. It also requires that the teller physically types into the system the receivers address together with the senders details, which is a long winded process. I do believe some post office staff have complained about the cumbersome procedures which is an overall hold up and causes longer delayed queues.

My recent experience over the weekend though where the new system is being used went fairly quick and smoothly due to the teller being really efficient with the new system.

Change is not easy for everyone, I guess.

Fashion Star    10
Fashion Star

It took so long for parcel process.:rolleyes:

kyle2    10
kyle2

I have to chip in here, and laugh a bit at the post office. I googled the word 'System' just for the Heck of it.

sys·tem /ˈsistəm/

[TABLE=class: vk_txt ts]

[TR]

[TD]Noun

[TABLE=class: ts]

[TR]

[TD]

1. A set of connected things or parts forming a complex whole, in particular.
  2. A set of things working together as parts of a mechanism or an interconnecting network.

I am afraid that the Post Offices have failed horribly lately with regards to point 2, how will they ever be able to implement any kind of new system when they have wildcat strikes on the go, parcels wait for days at point of departure or end up hibernating at a Hub somewhere.

Personally, I have somewhat suspended my trade on BoB(not BoBs fault, they're great!) for a while because of the postal problems of late. I take pride in customer service and can't fulfil this with the current postal issues.

Apologies if this post went off track, it probably belongs in another thread.:suspicious:

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Vegar    10
Vegar

Hi Co_bra, An ordinary parcel is anything over 1kg and measures more than: 30cmx25cmx35.3cm. BUT NOT bigger than Maximum length 1meter and the length + girth may not be more than 2 meters combined.

There may be new rules but they cannot be applied before the 1st of April (shipping fools day ;-) when the new postal rates come into effect.

We all know that different post offices apply rules differently - seek out the lazy ignorant ones ...