Sign in to follow this  
NooNooBug

Refunding Advise Please

NooNooBug    10
NooNooBug

Hi

On my listings I do not have a refund option specified, however I have given credits in the past when the need arose. Now I have a question for those who have dealt with refunding purchases before...I sold an item a few weeks back, I stated "not sure if working or not..." plus many close up photos details etc. Also recommended an expert check it out. Anyway, the buyer paid with credit card, received the item, took it to an expert & decided it would cost too much to repair...so has now decided to return it for a refund. I have agreed as I do understand that I was not aware of all that needed to be done, so could not mention all the details sufficiently. My question is, in all fairness when refunding I would surely subtract the post & credit card fees ? Would this be fair or not ? Any input from those of you in the know would be appreciated.

moodTime    10
moodTime

Hi,

If an item is sold to a buyer and it turns out the item is faulty or it was not accuratly described by the seller then the seller must cover the postage, return postage as well as any other costs as this was the sellers fault not the buyer, however in your case the item was clearly described so I think it is just a case of the buyer deciding they no longer require the item, it would only be fair that they cover the costs as they knew the risks when making the purchase. Maybe it would be better to meet the buyer half way and cover half the post and credit card fees.

Edited by moodTime

qball    11
qball

Credit card fees may not be charged to the buyer, in line with Visa and MasterCard rules.

militiamann    10
militiamann

Hi Qball

Is this also the case for PayPal payments? I mean, can sellers insist on charging the 5% PayPal fee for using the service?

Dennis

NooNooBug    10
NooNooBug
Hi,

If an item is sold to a buyer and it turns out the item is faulty or it was not accuratly described by the seller then the seller must cover the postage, return postage as well as any other costs as this was the sellers fault not the buyer, however in your case the item was clearly described so I think it is just a case of the buyer deciding they no longer require the item, it would only be fair that they cover the costs as they knew the risks when making the purchase. Maybe it would be better to meet the buyer half way and cover half the post and credit card fees.

Thanx for your response ! Not sure what to do as yet, as the costs are mounting as it is an overseas transaction to boot !

NooNooBug    10
NooNooBug
Credit card fees may not be charged to the buyer, in line with Visa and MasterCard rules.

Hi Qball, I am aware of the basic no charging the fees story, just wondered if because of the cancellation of the transaction I could not claim the amount back from the buyer. Will have to just take the loss.

Just Beachin    10
Just Beachin

After you receive your item and have refunded the seller, don't forget to cancel your sale for your sellers fees

FORUMDUDE    10
FORUMDUDE
Hi Qball

Is this also the case for PayPal payments? I mean, can sellers insist on charging the 5% PayPal fee for using the service?

Dennis

I do not see a problem with that, but only if you had other options available and decided on PP.

Paypal takes a fat chunk, then you still have to withdraw to you personal bank acc. The bank takes a chunk and converts at the lowest possible exchange rate.

I stand corrected but I think you can claim that 5% back somehow if the transfer is local2local.

That is why Ebay is making such a killing and promote Paypal as prefered method of payment....because they own it.:sowsuser:

Edited by FORUMDUDE

qball    11
qball
Hi Qball

Dennis

I can only speak for our credit card service and the agreement that we signed with our Bank, and the Card Associations, as a merchant. Paypal is it's own entity, they have their own rules and policies, if you look at other platforms it is common for the seller to charge the buyer the paypal fees, as paypal make it incredibly expensive to use their service.

qball    11
qball
Hi Qball, I am aware of the basic no charging the fees story, just wondered if because of the cancellation of the transaction I could not claim the amount back from the buyer. Will have to just take the loss.

Please also bear in mind the CPA, where you cannot penalise the buyer for cancelling the transaction.

NooNooBug    10
NooNooBug

Buyer seems a little off that I will only refund the money once item received ! Surely this is standard? He reckons I should refund him straight away as he had to pay BEFORE I sent the item, he feels it should work both ways ! Sorry dude not happening ! He suddenly managed to get to the PO today and sent me a tracking number (6 days to do that !)

Little Miss Muffet    20
Little Miss Muffet

You do not mention the price of the item involved.

Is it worth involving futher overseas postage costs?

Are you going to be able to get it repaired and regain your outlay or is the article ready to be dumped.?

If you are not going to be able to sell it why not let the buyer keep the item and refund the price of the the item but not the postage

I would first email and make sure if the buyer is happy with the arrangement and taking into consideration that the buyer took the risk he should carry the postage costs already paid

Credit card charges are to your account.

The moral of the story:

D:colbert:ont list something unless you know it is working or can definately say it is not working.

Colin_P    10
Colin_P

The seller said she wasn't sure if it was working or not. If the buyer assumed from that that it was either working or easily repairable, then that's at his own risk in my opinion. Any refund is purely goodwill and not mandatory as far as I am concerned. Geewhizz makes a good point though - if it's worthless, then dump it.

I stated "not sure if working or not..." plus many close up photos details etc. Also recommended an expert check it out.

Little Miss Muffet    20
Little Miss Muffet
The seller said she wasn't sure if it was working or not. If the buyer assumed from that that it was either working or easily repairable, then that's at his own risk in my opinion. Any refund is purely goodwill and not mandatory as far as I am concerned. Geewhizz makes a good point though - if it's worthless, then dump it.

I was aware of the fact that the seller said she was not sure whether it was working or not--that the refund was an act of goodwill.

To cover herself it would be advisable to either list something as working or definately not working.:rolleyes:

In fact I would state that clearly right on top

Granddads old Rolex watch---NOT WORKING

NooNooBug    10
NooNooBug

Thanx for all the input. I firstly emailed buyer to ask what it was worth to him, saying I would consider an offer from him, and refund the difference so as to avoid the postal service again ! He decided he didn't want to spend money on getting it serviced & repaired. Felt a little apprehensive as I am worried that there is always still a chance that it is some scam, one never knows these days ? Made me even more nervous when I emailed him with update aswell as to let him know I would file an SNC for my fees to be refunded, he was a little put out I wasn't refunding him until the item is back with me ! He felt I should refund straightaway as he had to pay me up front before I posted ! Suddenly the next day he posted it ! Huge knock on the head & learning curve for me !

Little Miss Muffet    20
Little Miss Muffet

Do not refund until you have received the item