Sign in to follow this  
xsiandreas

Who is the Eliasberg of SA Numismatics?

xsiandreas    10
xsiandreas

I was reading about some of the great US coin collectors and collections, such as Louis E. Eliasberg who was the only person to have a complete collection of US coins. Furthermore, the Colonel Green, Garrett, Pittman and Ford collections which were built over many years.

This made me wonder who are the great SA collectors and what superb, complete collections have existed or currently still exist? Has someone ever completed a complete set of SA coins - circulated and proof?

I have noticed the Bakewell collection which is listed on NGC. However, there must be other great collections that exist, existed or perhaps have not yet been graded....???

Guest Guest   
Guest Guest

Mitchell and Theron

Like the oceans that are continually in a state of flux so are numismatic collections.

The man I admire above all others in South African numismatics is Dr Frank Mitchell who I had the honour of meeting at his Cape Town home in the 1970s. While there he gave me a 1931 unslabbed 3d in UNC condition to look at. I held it carefully by the rim as he described how he spent night after night going through thousands of coins looking for rarities. Each day he would go to the bank and buy bags full of coins. The coin I held was the most valuable find he ever made while undertaking this task.

His countless hours of going through thousands of coins every night to find the rare treasures has resulted in so many of the sought after pieces landing up in collections across South Africa today.

So rather than looking for someone who has unlimited cash to throw at this hobby maybe we should look at the individuals, like Dr Frank Mitchell and Dr Theron, who have done the personal legwork to bring our hobby to the place it is today.

As always just my point of view.

Scott Balson

jicol    10
jicol

Thank you for an very interesting story Scott.

Don't know if you are aware but far as I know Dr Frank Mitchell's son Rob Mitchell is working with City Coins in Cape Town.

If anybody speaks to him will be interesting to hear what happened to his father's rarities specially the 1931 tickey.

Jimmie

Guest Guest   
Guest Guest

Hi Jimmie

Cool... Rob your father was a great man, I have letters from him dating back to the 1970s.. my apologies for my delayed reaction rarely come to BoB now.

Watching developments in Europe and stacking silver ....

Scott Balson