Sign in to follow this  
rozan

Where have all the book buyers gone

rozan    10
rozan

Has anyone else noticed a sharp drop in book sales - Have my buyers all purchased Kindles, immigrated to Outer Mongolia or died ? - Or is it possible that the Bl**dy postal strike in Pretoria has frightened them away - I usually sell a lot of books over the month end and now just 2 tiny orders - perhaps BoB should advertise in such a way that the reading public knows that THIS is where one buys quality used books.

Vinyl Lady Decals    10
Vinyl Lady Decals

I used to sell books but have delisted all of them due to poor sales. I don't see the point of listing books anymore as the leading seller is a tradefeed partner and has almost 110 000 books listed. I would think that going through all those listings would be enough to put anyone off. In general though sales have been slower in the last two weeks. In the years I have been trading I have found that the month of February is always worse than any other month for sales, I think this is due to parents preparing their children for school etc. It dies usually pick up in March. I also do think that the strike has also compounded this.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

I, too, haven't had much luck with selling books on BoB. Tried them on Crazy Wednesday when the craft books do okay but not fantastic. But other books are a waste of time. So sad because buyers could really pick up bargain books on BoB.

voldermort    10
voldermort

Completely agree - book sales have dropped dramatically. I doubt very much that all book buyers have suddenly invested in Kindles but as Tananka says, the leading seller is a tradefeed partner with a gazillion books listed thus making it impossible to compete with them.

Imagine if you are new to the site and you don't know how to do an advanced search for a specific book - you are just going to get a day's full of viewing of that one particular seller's items....:meh:

Also though on the other hand I have noticed over the past few months that on the Crazy Weds, sellers are literally giving their books away - books that two or three years ago would have sold for a few hundred rand are now been sold for perhaps R40/R50............seems to me the book market at the moment is flooded, everybody wants to be a seller.

Eventually I'm sure, some of these sellers will run out of books to give away than perhaps the sales will pick up again.

svw    10
svw

I think sales in general have been down - not just books. . In the latter half of last year we were badly affected by sapo and the truck driver strikes. Sales at the beginning of the year are always bad in the retail sector and now to have another sapo strike hot on the heals of the last one has done more damage - I think most people are thinking twice before purchasing online at the moment...

FORUMDUDE    10
FORUMDUDE

Sales are slow in general on everything. Its February.

Books....You do still find those old school readers like me who like a good hard copy novel and the feeling of paper between your fingers as you turn the pages.It is real and It makes you feel more involved with what you are reading.

However, the kindle is taking over. All my friends excluding me owns one. They also download all their books from torrents sites like almost everyone else does. Life should be simple, but not simpler.

JANDS    10
JANDS

"Life should be simple, but not simpler." I am a simple man......I smaak your statement stukkend bru. When you have time and feel like a good horror movie, watch "Idiocracy". Easier version of Atlas Shrugged and still applicable and happening at an alarming rate.

Jongleur    10
Jongleur
"Life should be simple, but not simpler." I am a simple man......I smaak your statement stukkend bru. When you have time and feel like a good horror movie, watch "Idiocracy". Easier version of Atlas Shrugged and still applicable and happening at an alarming rate.

Magnificent reading - Atlas Shrugged. I have memorised the following passage :

"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to

produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see money is flowing

to those who deal, not in goods, but in favours - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than

by work, and your laws don`t protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption

being rewarded and honesty becoming a self - sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed".

" still applicable and happening at an alarming rate "

Edited by Jongleur

JANDS    10
JANDS

Jongleur...I feel she could have condensed that book somewhat....like the approximately 80 page speech when they hijack the radio station. Its a grand story for those of us who do not aspire to mediocrity. Yet a pipe-dream in a culture where we vicariously toy-toy from our dinner tables in an intellectual fashion and bemoan the fact that the food we are eating has become too expensive.

The great ones have been warning us for centuries in painting, literature and music. We are jaded....vaguely aware that it is wrong so we mumble.

We chose it. We still choose it. We allow it. Ponder that my children..........

RISadler    10
RISadler

The book category is a mess ... it is impossible to look for specific genres, as they are just not even categorised. And what with "military" books listed under "Militaria" the whole thing is spread out just too much. Yeah, tradefeed partner ... new items flooding BoB ... I saw that coming a few years ago, but would anyone listen? NO-OOOOH!

RISadler    10
RISadler

Found the problem ... I've been very slack in my book purchases this past year or so. Sorry.

NooNooBug    10
NooNooBug

Apology accepted ! Have a good day ! I am off to read a real paper book in hand !