Sign in to follow this  
Samantha Visser

Criminal Charges Against Post Office Strikers

Samantha Visser    10
Samantha Visser

Hi everyone

I am looking at the possibility of pressing criminal charges against striking postal workers. I will be pressing criminal charges in terms of of Postal Services Act, 1998 (Act No. 124 of 1998). The act reads:

Postal Services Act, 1998 (Act No. 124 of 1998)

Chapter VIII Offences

70. Wilfully obstructing or delaying mail

Any person who wilfully interferes with the conveyance of any mail or through whose act or neglect the conveyance of any mail is interfered with, is guilty of an offence and liable on conviction to a fine or to imprisonment for a period not exceeding one month for each hour or part of an hour during which the delivery of the mail is delayed in consequence of any such interference or to both a fine and such imprisonment.

I know that if it is a legitimate strike, there are no grounds, but remember, this is not a legal strike.

Unfortunately one person / complainant alone may not succeed. Are there people here who will be willing to join and provide affidavits about them also being impacted? And, also willing to testify in court if need be?

Read more: http://www.parceltracker.org/news-article.php?q=3

Edited by lewskannen

wayjen    10
wayjen

A very good idea but what is involved here? If what you said is true and someone is willing to make a stand against this type of behaviour, then why not?

Samantha Visser    10
Samantha Visser
A very good idea but what is involved here? If what you said is true and someone is willing to make a stand against this type of behaviour, then why not?

Hey Wayjen

We are definitely taking this forward to launching criminal charges against the Post Office. The first reason for our decision is the fact that they are breaking their own laws and we do have grounds to stand on.

Like I said, one person here opening a charge and another there will not work. We are trying to get as much possible complainants together as we can. The other advantage of bringing a class case against them is that the case docket will end up with the Hawks and not a local detective unit somewhere.

wayjen    10
wayjen

Ok so if we all spread out over the country and we want to join, how do we go about it?

Just Beachin    10
Just Beachin

I am all board supporting your good intentions, but we all know even if you are successful in your class action suite, it is only going to further increase the postal rates, and those striking workers, who believe they have been hard done by, by the establishment, are not going to change.I guess what I want to know is "What's in it for me?" The solution would be to provide protection for temporary workers while arresting intimidating strikers, and a bit of SABC news coverage could help.

Samantha Visser    10
Samantha Visser
I am all board supporting your good intentions, but we all know even if you are successful in your class action suite, it is only going to further increase the postal rates, and those striking workers, who believe they have been hard done by, by the establishment, are not going to change.I guess what I want to know is "What's in it for me?" The solution would be to provide protection for temporary workers while arresting intimidating strikers, and a bit of SABC news coverage could help.

Hi Just Beachin

No, I am not instituting a civil lawsuit. There is no money involved here.

We are instituting criminal actions against SAPO employees striking as well as management in terms of their own act.

The fact is, we as the public are tired of these actions, and SAPO needed to institute criminal actions against their striking employees, but they didn't. We are just going to show that we as the public will not accept their bahaviour, and in this one instance we will take actions where we can.

Samantha Visser    10
Samantha Visser
Ok so if we all spread out over the country and we want to join, how do we go about it?

Hi wayjen

Anyone who are interested in becoming part of this will need to provide an affidavit. Those interested can send me an e-mail (info [@] parceltracker.org) and I will send you the information required in the affidavit as well as a sample affidavit.

Once I get the affidavits from people affected we will compile one combined case docket and report the matter to the police.

Alternatively, you can visit http://www.parceltracker.org/news-article.php?q=3 to see what we will require from you and how you can become part of the criminal case against the Post Office.

Edited by lewskannen

wayjen    10
wayjen

Thanks got email, will look into it and get back to you. I have another idea but will let you know soon.