Sign in to follow this  
Little Miss Muffet

Fighting a battle

Little Miss Muffet    20
Little Miss Muffet

I have been fighting a big battle since the beginning of November.

I contracted scabies. I probably became infected overseas as this started to show 3 weeks after I came back.

It was probably at one of the hostels that I stay in if I go travelling for a few days

I started itching and had lesions all over me.

It was only at the end of December when I read about skin conditions on the internet that I realized what it was.

They start to breed between the fingers or somewhere where they can hide.

I had this scally thing between my fingers,opened it up and covered it with plaster.

By the time I went to the doctor I had been infected for 2 months.

It has been a long hard battle but I am out of the woods--Thank goodness.

It is very contagious and Francis had to be treated too but fortunately his was caught in time.

I have boiled my linen,clothes and changed shoes everyday or washed slippers in boiling water for the last 2 months,

They cannot live off the body for more than 3 days.

The female mite burrows under the skin and comes out at night to mate with the males who sit on the hair follicles. She then lays eggs and they hatch and the process starts all over again.

I have leaned to recognize any new burrow and just spot treat it.

I have sat at night with wide cellutape wrapped around my legs to pull them off.

One night I decided to cover the lesions with syrup then salt so the the little buggers could not come out and mate.

I have done this many times--My doctor would think I am mad.--But that was part of the battle won.

Imagine sleeping with syrup all over you then having to clean that linen in the morning

:rolleyes::worried:

Edited by geewhizz

Just Beachin    10
Just Beachin

Geewhizz,

My sympathys to you! I contracted scabies once back in the early 80's, and what you are describing is not my experience. Mine manifested with little itchie pimples/water blisters between the knuckles of the top of my hands and moving to my forearms. "a good all over pasting of "Kwela" (ask the pharmacist) and you should have it sorted in no time. You may also want to investigate "tea tree oil", I don't know if it will work in this situation but it works marvels in so many other areas (Head lice kits available at dischem) without the poisonous chemical interference to your system. Chin up and good luck!

Little Miss Muffet    20
Little Miss Muffet

Yes it does start with itchie pimples water blisters.but they do start breeding in one area like between the fingers.

The itchieness started on my back so I could not see the pimples and just scratched.It then spread to my left arm and I scratched

I have used the over counter cream which is not as strong as the other pestiside ones but tea tree oil and borax baths help and also scabie soap.

I found 2 new burrows tonight but they will not be going anywhere.They cannot walk through syrup and salt.The salt irritates them and kills them.

No sex tonight for them

MiemsJewels    10
MiemsJewels

Did you try Calamine lotion, Adco-Biohist lotion or Permethrin(Elimite) yet Geewizz?

svw    10
svw

Oh dear geewhizz - you got 'mange' :wtf:

Scabies is the human form of mange but whatever you do don't try medication prescribed by the vet - not a good idea. Permethrin as suggested by Miems may be your best bet and not as sticky as syrup...

Little Miss Muffet    20
Little Miss Muffet
Oh dear geewhizz - you got 'mange' :wtf:

Scabies is the human form of mange but whatever you do don't try medication prescribed by the vet - not a good idea. Permethrin as suggested by Miems may be your best bet and not as sticky as syrup...

I have used something similar to permethrin but not as strong.

I am on the mend.

Wear gloves all day and change them 3 times. They get boiled after use.

I shall kill them About a week ago I had a new outbreak on the back of my arm which I did not know was there.

I rubbed turpentine over them for 5 minutes and they were dead. Not a good idea either but I mean turpentine is used to get paint off our hands.

Edited by geewhizz

Pathway    10
Pathway

Oh you poor thing, this sounds desperate! I hope it goes away soon - for ever!

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

Would you like me to send you a bottle of my Pets Anti-Itch lotion (if I haven't already!) It will relieve the itching and will certainly give the mites something to think about, if not kill them!

Sorry to hear you've had to contend with this. I've dealt with many mangy dogs in my years of animal rescue around Cape Town but as soon as I got home my clothes would go into a bucket of jik (outside the kitchen door!). I would then go straight under as hot a shower as I could bear. Luckily I never got scabies - I believe it is terrible! Get better soon.

Little Miss Muffet    20
Little Miss Muffet

Thanks Lily I do have a bottle of anti-itch cream you sent me.I am beyond the itching stage.

It is also better not to use anti itch because if I do itch somewhere that tells me where one is burrowing and I can deal with the little mite.

Humans do not get scabies from dog mange.

Animal mites are differant. They do not like humans.

Dogs and cats can also not get the human mite.

The human mite does not like hair and rarely go to the hair although it is not totally uncommon.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

I understand what you say but I think there is a relativity between scabies and mange. As animal workers we were always told to be extremely careful about hygiene after handling a mangy dog. There are two types of mange - one is sarcoptic and the other demodectic. I'm not sure which one has the mites which affect humans.

booksallsizes    10
booksallsizes

It's sarcoptic, I think, that we can get. *Shudders in horror*, Get the little buggers, Geewhizz - show no mercy!

Just Beachin    10
Just Beachin

or the Demonic:sad: get those little buggers!

svw    10
svw

Hope you get over this soon - BUT on a lighter note, geewhizz did I feel itchy after reading your post last night :rolleyes:

Little Miss Muffet    20
Little Miss Muffet

I was horrified when I started reading forums on scabies although it helped me to understand the condition.

What happens is the female mite burrows under the skin and lays eggs.

The eggs go through a 3 stage process and develope into to male and female scabies after 2 to 3 weeks.

These females then burrow under the skin. The males sit on the hair follicles and the female comes out of the burrow at night,mates with the male and starts the process all over again.

The male can only mate once then it dies..

Unfortunately I only went for medical help about 5 weeks after I contracted it so it had spread. This is why it has taken so long to cure

Now you can see my logic in the syrup.

It not only makes the eggs and males stick to the syrup but the females cannot move out of their burrow.

I am still finding one here and there but one can feel it crawling and I get out the cellutape and tape it off.

9 times out of ten it is stuck to the tape.

They are very tiny and can only be seen through a good magnifying glass but the eggs are 5 times as big.

If I feel one bite a day now it is a lot so am on the mend.The females cant be removed as they cling to the skin and have to be killed with tea tree oil or special soap.

This has set me back and I have work piling up and I cant get round to it.

a