Sign in to follow this  
Not1CentMore

Widespread PayPal Security Concern

Not1CentMore

BoB Admin... if any portion of this post is in violation of Forum rules, please 'do your thing' and delete the part that is a 'no-no'.

I received a PayPal request for payment for one penny from Mahon Marion (email address: marionmahon@xxx.com) with a 'bunch' of advertising and link to a website for cheap shoes. I logged in to PayPal and yeppers, it was there... the email was generated by and sent from PayPal.

I immediately called PayPal Security and was informed that it 'appears' this individual 'bought' a buncha-buncha email addresses, opened a PayPal account and is mass sending requests for payment to each email on the list, 'hoping' if they do have a PayPal account, they will remit payment thereby providing this person your personal information (name, address, phone number, etc.) and even perhaps 'grab' (dunno how it is done, but a 'no good scum bag' can figure out a way to bypass just about any security in place) your PayPal login information which then allows him / her to login and access to your bank info. (They are investigating and resolving.)

PayPal says this SEEMS to be widespread and not just limited to USA email addresses.

Just wanted to let ya know so you can keep an 'eyeball' on your PayPal account(s).

Ruthie

moodTime

Thanks for the info.

JohnBenn

Thank you Ruthie.

mrmouse

Just dont supply details to someone you havent purchased from , why reply to a request for payment from someone you dont deal with. people must be pretty gullible if they do .

MiemsJewels

Thank you Ruthie.

lilythepink

Thanks for the thumbs-up, Ruthie!

Just Beachin

Lily you are so precious:biggrin:, Thanks Ruthie, I agree with the last forumer:wub:, Thumbs up for the Heads up!

lilythepink

When my head is sore then I have to give a thumbs-up! :whistling: