Sign in to follow this  
voldermort

Oscar Pistorius

Pierre_Henri

Die grappe is altyd wreed(er) hoe erger die situasie is - iemand moet nog 'n boek daaroor skryf. Hoekom reageer mense met grappe as so iets gebeur?

Ek hoor byvoorbeeld dat Oscar nie been-af oor sy meisie was nie, maar ons sal eers weet as hy as enkel-ling in die hof staan.

Jitte !

MiemsJewels

Skuil daar dalk in elkeen van ons 'n moordenaar as ons te ver gedruk word?

MiemsJewels
Die grappe is altyd wreed(er) hoe erger die situasie is - iemand moet nog 'n boek daaroor skryf. Hoekom reageer mense met grappe as so iets gebeur?

Ek hoor byvoorbeeld dat Oscar nie been-af oor sy meisie was nie, maar ons sal eers weet as hy as enkel-ling in die hof staan.

Jitte !

Ander se weer Oscar het nie 'n voet om op te staan nie. Regtig wreed in hierdie geval.

My hart gaan uit na Reeva se ouers, familie en vriende asook Oscar s'n. Daar le nog vir hulle 'n bitter pad voor om te stap.

RISadler
i am going to go out on a limb here and say that I don't think any person in their right mind would consider a javelin in the heart to be a reasonable response to a slap in the face, therefore I fervently hope you were joking.

I qualified the statement with an "only" option. If you have other options in this situation, then they will probably be more within the law.

The AD/SCA has ruled that killing to protect property is unconstitutional.

Somewhere I missed that ruling, but such a decision is in my opinion very short-sighted and extremely dangerous. It took me awhile to think up a scenario ... I have a rifle, unlimited ammunition and am highly mobile (please do not nit-pick these points of the scenario). I go to the Kruger Park and start shooting all the animals ... from field-mice to vultures, from crocodiles to rhinos and elephants. How do they stop me?

wayjen

The news says 4 shots and loud screaming coming from their place. It don't sound too good for him with his past coming into play.

voldermort
Somewhere I missed that ruling, but such a decision is in my opinion very short-sighted and extremely dangerous. It took me awhile to think up a scenario ... I have a rifle, unlimited ammunition and am highly mobile (please do not nit-pick these points of the scenario). I go to the Kruger Park and start shooting all the animals ... from field-mice to vultures, from crocodiles to rhinos and elephants. How do they stop me?

honestly, I no longer have any idea what you are talking about however as I said right at the beginning of this thread, 4 shots including one to the head is overkill no matter how it is phrased.

the real tragedy in all this is that because Oscar Pistorius seems to be somewhat of an icon & because there are many Rambo wannabe's running around a young woman lies dead tonight, cut down in her prime, this is the part that seems to have been forgotten.

and as we can see if this had really been a robbery, let's imagine for a second that it was indeed a case where he thought this woman was a big, burly, ugly attacker - it seems many people would have acted the exact same way.

no warning shots, no verbal warnings, no shooting to wound - nope, let's just kill.

how very precious life has become.

lilythepink

Another thought to add to the mix ... if there were domestic "issues" at Pistorius' home on previous occasions, how come SAPS didn't take his gun (and licence) away! Our gun laws are strict and clear but do SAPS ever use their intelligence in these situations?

I do not condone what has happened but I feel people with anger management problems (and there has been evidence of this with Pistorius before) should not be allowed to have firearms in their homes or their lives.

What is the purpose of all our laws if SAPS don't implement them timeously???

Rambeo

Unfortunately, the confiscation of a firearm, can only be done in the situation where a crime has been commited witht the said firearm/ or firearms or where a charge has actually been laid against you and you've been found guilty of such violent circumstances crime.

lilythepink

I have to disagree with you Rambeo. If a person is not of sound mind a firearm (and licence) can be removed! And a lack of anger management leads to an unsound mind!

Rambeo

I don't disagree with lilythepink in saying that they should have a system in place for removal of a firearm from a so called unfit person. However there would need to be some type of track record of his being unfit to possess a firearm and if its a matter say for example one lays a charge or complaint against them. And then later withdraws the charge, then no investigation will take place and they would never be declared unfit to possess a firearm. unfortutunately that is the other side to the new firearms act. Which prevents or makes it complicated for competent firearm owners to get licences while others who are unfit also get to carry weapons. But yeah thats a totally different topic....

Mad about Jack
The news says 4 shots and loud screaming coming from their place. It don't sound too good for him with his past coming into play.

You mentioned his past, care to please enlighten me ?

Miss Jewels

@MaJ..previous reports have come in from ex girlfriends and also neighbours and friends....There have been previous bouts of domestic violence against them, some even taking place at his home, Some of his friends have also commented that since his fame, he is a changed man (and not for the better according to them)

Things don't look too good for him right now!

Below is a twitter report I was following today

David Smith has just sent this report of this morning's proceedings:

The Paralympic star Oscar Pistorius broke down and wept uncontrollably in court today as prosecutors said they would pursue a charge of premeditated murder against him.

The South African athlete, dubbed the "blade runner", repeatedly pressed his fingers to his eyes and looked down, sobbing and shaking, during the hour-long hearing in a packed courtroom in Pretoria.

Pistorius is accused of shooting dead his girlfriend, Reeva Steenkamp, a model and reality TV show participant, at his home in a gated community in the early hours of Thursday morning.

The magistrate delayed Pistorius's bail hearing until next Tuesday and Wednesday, and ruled that the 26-year-old would be held at a Pretoria police station until then. He did so despite the possible perception of "preferential treatment" as it would be more common for the accused to be detained in prison.

Pistorius had solemnly entered the court wearing a grey suit and blue tie. He quickly broke down, pressing his fingers to his eyes, his trauma reflected in the faces of watching photographers.

As proceedings continued, Pistorius repeatedly lost his composure. At one point, when the magistrate used the phase "premeditated murder", the athlete leaned forward as if trying to bend over double, his head in his hands, shaking and sobbing.

svw

One thing I would like to know, is where was he when she was shot - surely he does not sleep with prosthetic's on - how long does it take to put them on if someone is breaking into the house and climbing through the window ?

Mad about Jack
One thing I would like to know, is where was he when she was shot - surely he does not sleep with prosthetic's on - how long does it take to put them on if someone is breaking into the house and climbing through the window ?

That's a valid point.

Miss Jewels

Ummmm.....she was found behind the bathroom door. If the newspapers are to be believed, she was shot through the bathroom door. Neighbours heard sceams shortly before hearing gunshots. Police were at his house earlier the evening after neighbours reported possible domestic violence there. Which means...he was fighting with someone earlier in the evening. Security guards from the complex in which he lives, found him in the bathroom with the deceased....

Mad about Jack
@MaJ..previous reports have come in from ex girlfriends and also neighbours and friends....There have been previous bouts of domestic violence against them, some even taking place at his home, Some of his friends have also commented that since his fame, he is a changed man (and not for the better according to them)

Things don't look too good for him right now!

Below is a twitter report I was following today

David Smith has just sent this report of this morning's proceedings:

The Paralympic star Oscar Pistorius broke down and wept uncontrollably in court today as prosecutors said they would pursue a charge of premeditated murder against him.

The South African athlete, dubbed the "blade runner", repeatedly pressed his fingers to his eyes and looked down, sobbing and shaking, during the hour-long hearing in a packed courtroom in Pretoria.

Pistorius is accused of shooting dead his girlfriend, Reeva Steenkamp, a model and reality TV show participant, at his home in a gated community in the early hours of Thursday morning.

The magistrate delayed Pistorius's bail hearing until next Tuesday and Wednesday, and ruled that the 26-year-old would be held at a Pretoria police station until then. He did so despite the possible perception of "preferential treatment" as it would be more common for the accused to be detained in prison.

Pistorius had solemnly entered the court wearing a grey suit and blue tie. He quickly broke down, pressing his fingers to his eyes, his trauma reflected in the faces of watching photographers.

As proceedings continued, Pistorius repeatedly lost his composure. At one point, when the magistrate used the phase "premeditated murder", the athlete leaned forward as if trying to bend over double, his head in his hands, shaking and sobbing.

Thank you for bringing me up to speed.

Cali Craft and Gems

Re his prosthetics - I was thinking along the same lines. Perhaps the bathroom was the ensuite which could be seen / reached from the bed area? Under the assumption that he is innocent, one could only imagine how much more vunerable any individual without legs could feel... this could be reason enough to keep a firearm within reach considering how crime has gotten out of control.

For able-bodied individuals, if you hear an odd sound during the night you are able to get up to investigate. Perhaps Oscar got a fright and without thinking clearly his first thought was "intruder" and he acted accordingly - he could obviously not just get out of bed like the rest of us.

Under normal circumstances, if a spouse or partner leaves the room during the night, they would switch on a light of sorts which is an indication to their partner that they are up (we've done this for years in our home). One would automatically assume that if no lights are on and you hear odd sounds or movement, your first thought would not be "oh, it's just ... going to the bathroom, etc"!

Just my two cents worth...

wayjen

Whilst we all know that crime is rampant in SA, I wonder what the crime rate was like in his gated community that he had his gun out and popped off 4 shots through a bathroom door?

alloway65

In Johannesburg at least there appears to be more crime in townhouse complexes than there is in free standing, but secured, homes. Crooks move into complexes now and do their dirty deeds from within.

MiemsJewels

Miss Jewels, everything is possible, but what about the fighting and loud voices their neigbours informed the police about. That was a while before the shots were fired.

booksallsizes

Just to add my teeny bit....

There is so much speculation... I don't trust the popular media's reportage of anything. So we just can't know what happened until it all comes out in the wash.

But, if it looks like a duck...

And my heart goes out to the Steenkamp family...

Miss Jewels

I agree Miems. Apparantely the police were called out during the early evening as neighbours reported him verbally fighting with a lady friend. They were then again called out by neighbours and security guards of the complex after shots were heard. If the "witnessess" are to be believed, the shouts heard were just before the first gunshot went off....

Miss Jewels, everything is possible, but what about the fighting and loud voices their neigbours informed the police about. That was a while before the shots were fired.

wayjen

Ok so if there are any records of these 2 calls to the police and that the neighbours heard shouting and screaming on the first call out then shouting and gun shots at the second call out then Oscar lied about there being a burglar. Let's see if there are police records for that time. Let's see if any calls were made from his cellphone after the incident. Let's see if these neighbours are called as witnesses against him and those ex girlfriends/friends who were abused by him before and then let this incident happen. Let's see if he sticks with his burglar story?

I also see that he is getting preferential treatment in jail so once again a celebrity with money is above the law.

Guest Guest

The murder is big news - even here in Australia.

It would appear that Oscar could be languishing behind bars for a long, long time - not the sort of life I would want ... a high profile person in a South African prison. I think it will be hell on earth for him.

No where to run now

What a tragedy for the victim's family.

With regards to the shooting through a bathroom door - it sounds to me like the girl friend tried to take refuge behind a locked door from a man who was mentally unstable at that moment in time and possibly threatened her with the gun. Who knows what triggered this but it sounds like Oscar did not like what she told him minutes before she died. The fact that the victim was behind a bathroom door, neighbours complained to police about a domestic issue earlier that night and Oscar has no feet can hardly work in his favour.

I think it was lily who talked about anger management - in my view this is the core of the issue here.

Kind regards

Scott Balson

Edited by ndoa18