Sign in to follow this  
MAK09

calling jewlerls or jewellery sellers- advice on verifying a ring is solid gold

MAK09

Hi everyone

I am a bit unsure how to go about verifying a ring i bought from a reputable verified seller is as described...Solid gold and genuine diamonds.

The diamonds i am altogether sure they are genuine, but the gold, although carrying the 18K stamp has no makers mark or anything.

Why i am so suspicious, is once before i purchased - what was advertised as 14k solid white gold ring (again by a reputable and verified seller)and when i took it for resizing it turned out that the ring was plated.

The jewler i am intending to take it to said that, to do proper tests would take aprox 14 working days... The seller is concerned that he might change the diamonds and then im wondering if anything cant be done to the gold.

I paid some good money and bought the ring for myself as i simply love it, but i dont know what is the best way to check if it IS solid gold???

Some help please?

thanks

Sabi

Cali Craft and Gems

I stand to be corrected, but the quickest or easiest way to test the ring is to take it to a place like Cash Crusaders or the like under the pretence that you are interested in possibly selling the item. They have to test it's authenticity and you should have your "quick" answer... I don't know if this test would work for plating or not but hear what they have to say, then decline their offer!

svw

The jewler i am intending to take it to said that, to do proper tests would take aprox 14 working days...

If it were me I would go to another jeweler and ask their opinion - it shouldn't take more than an hour or so to test and value a ring. In fourteen days I have had rings designed and made from scratch...:rolleyes:

MAK09
I stand to be corrected, but the quickest or easiest way to test the ring is to take it to a place like Cash Crusaders or the like under the pretence that you are interested in possibly selling the item. They have to test it's authenticity and you should have your "quick" answer... I don't know if this test would work for plating or not but hear what they have to say, then decline their offer!

I like that, im going to take the ring there today and for resizing as i need it a size smaller anyway (not at the above mentioned jewler who stated 14 days, but to one i usually take my items for resining)...

Will see what happens..

Edited by MAK09

MAK09

What about obtaining a valuation cert? how long is that supposed to take, any anyone around PE know whose a reputable jewler to take items for evaluation certs?

Thanks for the replys

circe

hia valuation cert u can get at a jeweler while u wait. it will cost about R60-R100. tell them u want it for insurance purposes. u must also be very careful if u leaf the ring at the jeweler. it is very easy for them to swap the real diamond for a lab diamond. insist that u want to be able to see him working on it. the gold test take a few minites. the jeweler can do that also. u can also try the places that buy old gold for a test.thanksfrikkie

FORUMDUDE

"Chew on it for 2-3 minutes. This will allow your saliva to react with and break down the gold"

I like this test:toung:

MAK09

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

I'm sorted and all is good! The ring is as described and im thrilled with it.

Regards

SADiamondsrus

Great Stuff

Goes to show there are genuine sellers out there :)