Sign in to follow this  
JohnBenn

Check your cancellations!!!

JohnBenn

Make sure to check your cancellations, and always keep used stamps you find with cancellations of small South African and other small worldwide towns. Many people ignore the cancellations, when they are worth many times the stamp price.

Here's one example.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4467[/ATTACH]

This lot has an estimate of $5000.All with “RRRRR” cancellations.

The highest price paid for a cancellation thus far is $A825. But this will surely increase with time.

Image and info - read more here. New Freeman "Numeral Cancellations of NSW" Book. India Ghandi 1948 FDC gets $US6,300!

seahorsefanatic

Hi John - Enjoyed your posting - yes, one has to be careful when looking at a stamp etc and not just the stamp but the cancellation as well. This also applies to covers where one also has to take into account the contents ( if available ) the sender, addressee and also the period the letter was sent.

I read the link to the items mentioned and was shocked when looking at the India 1948 Ghandi FDC. I bought the folder with full set to 10R cancelled and signed ( probably the designer ) as Ghandi died before the set was issued. I got it for about R70 about 15 years ago as no-one else wanted it and I thought why not ?. Sometimes worth going with your gut feel !!!

JohnBenn

Well that's a nice return on R70. Seeing that the Ghandi fever only took off awhile ago, like the Mandela fever here, forged cancels only started popping up recently.