Sign in to follow this  
GrahamZA

Have I done something wrong?

GrahamZA    10
GrahamZA

Hi all,

Long time lurker. First time poster.

Last week I purchased a board game from a seller. The item in question is something I've looked for for years now, and I was glad that I found it. That's been the only happy point so far.

I won the bid for the item, and the seller ships through SAPO at cost. I told him to rather not get a quote as I'll send my couriers to collect - I was too excited to wait for a post office delivery. Finally, I received the game this previous Thursday. The item is supposed to include 10 Space Marines (1 player) and 20 Genestealers (another player). I opened the package to find that there were no Genestealers in the box. At all.

I contacted the buyer who said he'd never opened the box before, so he might not have ever received them. He said he's look around the house in case they were around. They weren't. He then said he had another copy of the game he sold a while ago and will see if that person recevied extra units. Apparently they didn't receive extra, but had extra (not sure how?).

I reminded him that I needed 30 Genestealers. This was a mistake that I didn't pick up until his next email where he lost it and said I was showing to true colours. I saw the problem and apologise profusely for the mistake I'd made.

From then on he's saying he now has trust issues, and that I'm scamming him out of extra units.

To quote one of the emails from him:

to be honest, I am not sure what to believe. These sort of discussion are based on trust. i.e you mention you are short of genestealers and I believe that. Unfortunatelly as soon as one mentions to be short of more parts than were originally part of the box, that trust element is shattered. As for stating that you made a mistake, that is exactly what someone pulling a fast one would do once caught. The immediate question that comes to mind is, where the parts actually originally missing?

I unfortunatelly had a lot a similar experiences with buyer pulling this sort of stunts in the past.

So all of the sudden I'm the bad guy? Meanwhile I have half a game...

I haven't gotten Bid or Buy involved yet as I am trying to be as civil as possible, and sort out things myself.

Just Beachin    10
Just Beachin

Dear GrahamSA,

This is very frustrating, indeed! As a seller I would offer your money back immediately, and never sell something sight unseen (never opened box? that's just lame!).

You need to notify communitywatch@bidorbuy.co.za with copies of all your correspondence. You should also write him a email telling him what you want regarding resolving your problem,( perhaps your money back?), cc to above.

Take a deep breath and let admin help you out here.

Good Luck to you, and good riddance to bad sellers!

voldermort    10
voldermort
Hi all,

Long time lurker. First time poster.

Last week I purchased a board game from a seller. The item in question is something I've looked for for years now, and I was glad that I found it. That's been the only happy point so far.

I won the bid for the item, and the seller ships through SAPO at cost. I told him to rather not get a quote as I'll send my couriers to collect - I was too excited to wait for a post office delivery. Finally, I received the game this previous Thursday. The item is supposed to include 10 Space Marines (1 player) and 20 Genestealers (another player). I opened the package to find that there were no Genestealers in the box. At all.

I contacted the buyer who said he'd never opened the box before, so he might not have ever received them. He said he's look around the house in case they were around. They weren't. He then said he had another copy of the game he sold a while ago and will see if that person recevied extra units. Apparently they didn't receive extra, but had extra (not sure how?).

I reminded him that I needed 30 Genestealers. This was a mistake that I didn't pick up until his next email where he lost it and said I was showing to true colours. I saw the problem and apologise profusely for the mistake I'd made.

From then on he's saying he now has trust issues, and that I'm scamming him out of extra units.

To quote one of the emails from him:

So all of the sudden I'm the bad guy? Meanwhile I have half a game...

I haven't gotten Bid or Buy involved yet as I am trying to be as civil as possible, and sort out things myself.

Hi

The first question I would ask you is were these player people indeed included with the game. I understand that you say they should be there but were they mentioned in the description of the ad? For instance I buy a Monopoly game expecting all the pieces to be there, but unless the seller says in the ad "all pieces included" it doesn't necessarily mean they will be there.

If they were mentioned in the description of the ad as being included/part of the game - then either contact seller again & tell him you want what you purchased ie: a complete game alternatively phone BoB 0861880861 & advise them of the problem & no doubt they will tell the seller to refund you pronto.

If they were not included in the game ie: no description or not mentioned in the ad, than you may have a hard time with this as when there is no description/very little description the best thing to do is to ask a question of the seller before bidding/buying to avoid this kind of predicament afterwards.

GrahamZA    10
GrahamZA
Dear GrahamSA,

This is very frustrating, indeed! As a seller I would offer your money back immediately...

He did initially, but as soon as asked him about shipping costs he started looking for the figures.

You need to notify communitywatch@bidorbuy.co.za with copies of all your correspondence. You should also write him a email telling him what you want regarding resolving your problem,( perhaps your money back?), cc to above.

Thanks. I've been mailing back and forth with him. I'll make my decision after his next email.

Hi

The first question I would ask you is were these player people indeed included with the game.

Yip, they are. The Space Hulk games include Space Marine Terminator and Tyranid Genestealer figures. Link: Space Hulk (second edition) | Board Game | BoardGameGeek

I understand that you say they should be there but were they mentioned in the description of the ad? For instance I buy a Monopoly game expecting all the pieces to be there, but unless the seller says in the ad "all pieces included" it doesn't necessarily mean they will be there.

TBH, advertised or not, they should really be there. If he's selling half of a game then it should be stated. As far as I'm aware voetstoes no longer exists.

If they were mentioned in the description of the ad as being included/part of the game - then either contact seller again & tell him you want what you purchased ie: a complete game alternatively phone BoB 0861880861 & advise them of the problem & no doubt they will tell the seller to refund you pronto.

If they were not included in the game ie: no description or not mentioned in the ad, than you may have a hard time with this as when there is no description/very little description the best thing to do is to ask a question of the seller before bidding/buying to avoid this kind of predicament afterwards.

Unfortunately his descriptions are very lazy:

Hi there,

doing some clean up.

Sold as per picture. You can read more about the game here:

Space Hulk (second edition) | Board Game | BoardGameGeek

accept payment on pickup.

I ship at cost if required ( I will also combine items )

He has a 100% positive rating, so I've been willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, but accusing me of trying to defraud him is where I draw the line.

Miss Jewels    10
Miss Jewels

If the item advertised was new, and a buyer knows what should be included, e.g. the Monopoly, I would expect everything to be intact and sold "complete". Imaging buying the Monopoly with no money included. I'm just in two frames of mind as to the possiblity of this becoming an issue with sellers and hiding behind unclear auctions. I hope this is not the case....

But the best advise, as given by voldermort and just beachin, contact the BoB team.

voldermort    10
voldermort
If the item advertised was new, and a buyer knows what should be included, e.g. the Monopoly, I would expect everything to be intact and sold "complete". Imaging buying the Monopoly with no money included. I'm just in two frames of mind as to the possiblity of this becoming an issue with sellers and hiding behind unclear auctions. I hope this is not the case....

But the best advise, as given by voldermort and just beachin, contact the BoB team.

Well yes, if I bought an item as new I too would expect everything to be there however Graham up above didn't say that he purchased it new?

Unfortunately I have seen a few ratings whereby sellers sell books with pages missing, items with pieces not included so to be on the safe side, when a description is not quite clear or not clear enough, when purchasing anything 2nd hand, take a few seconds beforehand & ask a question to make sure that everything is indeed included.

If player people were indeed included with the game, once you contact BoB you should have no problems getting a refund.

Miss Jewels    10
Miss Jewels

Agreed 100%. Always ask questions! If they're not answered, then rather stay away too.

Well yes, if I bought an item as new I too would expect everything to be there however Graham up above didn't say that he purchased it new?

Unfortunately I have seen a few ratings whereby sellers sell books with pages missing, items with pieces not included so to be on the safe side, when a description is not quite clear or not clear enough, when purchasing anything 2nd hand, take a few seconds beforehand & ask a question to make sure that everything is indeed included.

If player people were indeed included with the game, once you contact BoB you should have no problems getting a refund.

GrahamZA    10
GrahamZA

Sorry, yes, it was a second-hand game.

I received another reply this morning. The seller is at least now trying to replace the units, but down right refuses to believe the 30 (over 20) was a mistake. It makes me feel a little belittled to say the least.

Hi Graham,

You mentioned figures were missing, I believed that and I proceeded to rectify the situation. However, I will try and source the 20 stealers as per the box content. I am sure you can understand that the 30 stealers you requested is simply unreasonable (the box content is 20).

To keep you up to date, I am in negotiation to get 20 stealers. the lad agreed to swop the stealers, I am following up to see if this is reasonable,

I replied with this:

Hi xxxx,

Thank you very much. Again, and I now can't stress this anymore than I already have, I do not want 30, but the 20 that were supposed to be included with the game. There really is nothing more that I can do to convince you of this and that it was a mistake.

Thank you.