Sign in to follow this  
Cali Craft and Gems

Eeeeeekkkkkk....

Cali Craft and Gems    10
Cali Craft and Gems

Boy oh boy oh boy!!!

Arrived back from Cape Town on Wednesday night after our annual leave (okay, 99.9% business, 0.1% relaxing)! Took the opportunity to stock up with loads of more goodies for the store and managed to get a beautiful display cabinet - don't ask me how it all fitted into our bakkie!

Reason being is that we managed to secure huge new premises for our physical store about a week ago. We were looking at moving at the end of February so that we could start trading at the new shop from 4 March. We've been chatting and discussing the new layout, etc and have been working on a timing schedule so that there would be as little interruption to the running of the store and online shop as possible. With about 4 to 5 weeks to go all should work out fine.... until now!

The owner of the building (Queen's Hotel) where the new shop will be popped in to see me a short while ago to inform me that we can move in THIS WEEKEND!!! He would like us to start trading at the new premises by the end of January as the hotel is fully booked with international tourists for the whole of February! He wants us to work hand in hand with the reception desk as to offer "his" customers the best that Oudtshoorn has to offer with regards to the "most unique shopping experience in the region"!

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh!!!!

Why is it that when ever I think I've got "time" to play with that suddenly things fall into place and a month is lopped off the schedule?!? (same thing happened when we moved from PE to ODN)

Not that I'm complaining as I can be in the new shop "rent free" for a whole month... but now I have to get the phone and ADSL line transferred immediately, and the alarm, and the new signage, and the updated brochures, and.... and.... and.........

Plus I have to do a full stock take and label EVERYTHING with the new coding system... (I had a month to do it, now I've got less than a week!).

Now where is that very very strong cup of coffee? Think I may need something stronger! LOL

Edited by Cali Craft and Gems

captain emo    11
captain emo

I suggest a strong whisky and coffee....hold the coffee

ka69    10
ka69

Wow, this takes me back many years!

Queen's Hotel in Oudties, they used to have a "disco" on Saturday nights. Used to be a Spur across the road. Also remember Zindago's further along the road.

I'm talking a good twenty years ago now....

Best of luck with the new premises!!!

Edited by ka69

Little Miss Muffet    20
Little Miss Muffet

Can I fly up and help you?? Free service.Have fun:unsure:

Cali Craft and Gems

At this stage, all help is most welcome!

Also the KKNK is nine days long this year which means that we have to have more eyes and hands available at the end of March, and we have to be 100% up and running long before the festival starts!

I am so excited yet so nervous at the same time! One could say that the new premises are slap-bang in the middle of the busiest part of the festival layout, and passing trade will increase ten-fold at least.

Hubby and I went to check the changes the owner has made to the layout (opening arches, etc) and it is looking good. We've changed our interior layout a little, but for the better.

Can't wait... (have to now drive to the material shops in Mossel Bay tomorrow for curtaining material, and have to look for nice rugs for all the rooms... also possibly "find" some more tables, etc. If I thought 2011/2012 was stressful, this year is only going to be busier!)

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

You and Gavin will get it done in time - you've got the guts to do it!

MrAerospace    10
MrAerospace

Good luck to both of you! Business should be booming in Oudtshoorn since you arrived!

Cali Craft and Gems

Phase one of the big move is in progress...

We have been given the go ahead to move in this weekend and February will be "rent free". Heavy furniture items being moved over on Friday morning, and as soon as that is done, then my Mom and I have to shoot through to George to get stacks of goodies incl material for curtaining, etc... (PS. Game has some great specials on lots of things this weekend... carpets / rugs, mirrors, office chairs, CCTV system, etc)

Phase two (moving of stock) can only happen when the alarm company decides to catch a wake up and transfer the system so for the next few days, we'll have to be in two places at the same time! LOL

MiemsJewels    10
MiemsJewels
At this stage, all help is most welcome!

Also the KKNK is nine days long this year which means that we have to have more eyes and hands available at the end of March, and we have to be 100% up and running long before the festival starts!

I am so excited yet so nervous at the same time! One could say that the new premises are slap-bang in the middle of the busiest part of the festival layout, and passing trade will increase ten-fold at least.

Hubby and I went to check the changes the owner has made to the layout (opening arches, etc) and it is looking good. We've changed our interior layout a little, but for the better.

Can't wait... (have to now drive to the material shops in Mossel Bay tomorrow for curtaining material, and have to look for nice rugs for all the rooms... also possibly "find" some more tables, etc. If I thought 2011/2012 was stressful, this year is only going to be busier!)

Cali, you are suppose to move girl, not suppose to spend time on the forum.:wink: a Hour of time wasted is a hour of wasted time.

Sterkte met die trek na jou nuwe perseel.:wink:

Cali Craft and Gems

@ Miems... LOL!

Getting online is my escape from reality and a chance to rest my weary body... (and mind!)

Moved heavy furniture this morning, rearranged what was left in the shop so it looked respectable, then mom and I escaped to George - which in itself ended up being extremely frustrating as Game did not have half of the items on "special" this weekend in stock - what a waste of a trip and time! Grrr....

We can only move the stock into the new premises after the alarm has been transferred (which is late next week) so it gives me a few days to take it a little slower than it has been lately.

ka69    10
ka69

Coupla days down the line, how is the store/move doing?

Cali Craft and Gems

Update:

Telkom finally caught a wake up yesterday and installed the phone lines - two days later than arranged (and now the one line still does not work so I'll have to get hold of them again tomorrow...)!

The alarm was installed today - took 11 hours and the technician still is not finished!

But at least about 90% of the stock is in the new shop... not laid out yet, but a work in progress...

The reception area is almost complete, the bead room is taking shape nicely and I can start on the gem room tomorrow as most of the furniture was moved in late this afternoon. I'll tackle the jewellery room and the office last...

Looks like we'll be open for trading from Saturday again as things are a little too chaotic still for my liking. But I cannot believe the amount of interest the new store is generating from passers by - so many tourists have stopped at the gates and windows to take a peek and it does not even look good yet! Hopefully this was the right decision and things can only get better...

YSLMAGIC    10
YSLMAGIC

you must be exhausted............ don't forget to post some pics once you done

Cali Craft and Gems

Exhausted is the understatement of the century! My body is aching all over and I'm struggling to sleep thanks to mozzies - although I did not hear them last night but I know they were around.

Were planning to be at the shop at 6am to carry on, but I'm barely focussing on the pc whilst gulping down a strong cup of coffee. I think what is most frustrating is that I've got one layout plan in my mind, but hubby comes along and just "dumps" the stock anywhere so the shop looks like a bomb has hit it... which is not the way I like to operate plus it makes it difficult to find stuff. (Men! Grrr....)

:hm:

retailrush    10
retailrush

I was just wondering how it was going and "hey presto" there was your update on the forum. It all sounds so exciting and I am sure that once it is finished you will forget all the blood sweat and tears!!! It sounds like the new shop is going to be a resounding success - well done to you and all your support team and good luck for tomorrow... Yes, please post some photo's when you have time...

Cali Craft and Gems

First pic of the new store... View from the reception area through to the Gem Room... (new stock is not in the shop yet - this is just what came over from the old shop! Pics of bead and jewellery room to follow once complete)

newshop12022013a.jpg.e336dffdac16d1d3cfc6f8b2ee818881.jpg

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

Again, Cali - good luck. Make your millions soon!!

MsPlod    10
MsPlod

Awesome Janet! Strength to you guys and hope things come together wonderfully. You have worked for it :grin:

Jongleur    10
Jongleur
Awesome Janet! Strength to you guys and hope things come together wonderfully. You have worked for it :grin:

Ms Plod ! How nice to see you on the forum. Must be this Valentines thing.

MsPlod    10
MsPlod
Ms Plod ! How nice to see you on the forum. Must be this Valentines thing.

Thanks! Definitely Valentine's Day - came back to my heart... hugs!

retailrush    10
retailrush

Hi Cali - how is everything going? Is it the Oudtshoorn fesitval this week-end? If so - I hope you are getting lots of visitors into your shop and that business is booming. All the best :-)

Cali Craft and Gems

Thank you RetailRush - talk about hectic in Oudtshoorn! The festival is in full swing and there have been so many people going through the store - and many buyers too! Business is booming which is a relief considering what I spent on stock to fill the store in the first place!

The weather has remained cool, and it is currently raining lightly but hopefully the sun will come out soon. Day three... with another six to go!

Cali Craft and Gems

Well...... nine days have simply disappeared! In this time I have lost my sanity several times, gone nuts thanks only to the rap musicians who were right outside our door all week (with a lousy sound system I might add and a really kak sharp voice!), had many major headaches (with many late nights with it) but have come out after it all with a sore body and a bulging safe! (at least the bank manager should be happy!)

What an experience! We were trading from around 08h30 to after 21h00 daily since sometime in late March and decided to close early today at 17h00. I am exhausted... and I never even had the chance to walk around the KKNK or other stalls / shops!

We are taking a well-deserved mini-break and will be taking hubby's brother back to PE on Sunday so that I can do some business in PE on Monday. We'll be back home on Tuesday morning to reopen the shop on Wednesday. (okay, I admit it that it is not much of a break, but I need to start concentrating on BoB work again - orders are piling up!)

By the end of next week we should have the dates for KKNK 2014... then the entire cycle starts again...

(PS. Thank heavens it is the last night we will be blasted with music until 2am - final concert is blaring as I'm writing! ODN is supposed to be a sleepy quiet little dorp in the middle of the Little Karoo?!?!)