Sign in to follow this  
HOBBYLAND

Opinion on dropshipping and dropshipping in general

HOBBYLAND    10
HOBBYLAND

Opinion on sellers dropshipping and dropshipping in general

qzcreativeit    10
qzcreativeit

I think dropshipping is ok. As long as the seller takes the ultimate responsibility of sorting out any issues

Just Beachin    10
Just Beachin

I think drop shipping is risky business if your serious about customer satisfaction.

Lingerie Delights    10
Lingerie Delights

Dropshipping can only work if you are totally upfront and honest with your customers and tell them beforehand that the products come form x,y,z and be honest about the delivery timeframe, shipping costs and fact that there might be custom duties payable. Many sellers pretend to own stock and do not tell customers the truth upfront. I'd rather loose potential customers by being honest and upfront, than con them into thinking I carry stock and then get unhappy customers and bad reviews.

RISadler    10
RISadler

I'm sure BoB makes a bundle out all the "dropshippers," but I think it kills the "community" feel of BoB.

I would be very interested to see what the effect of them are on BoB in the long-run ... I've checked out a few "dropshippers" and most of their buyers are of the less-than-fifty tenderfoots. How many of these are capable of separating the BoB brand from that of the individual seller (that ripped 'em for all that postage cost)?

Miss Jewels    10
Miss Jewels

I honestly don't think BoB makes a "bundle" out of dropshippers, for the simple reason, many of them sell their items at a ridiculously low price, but charge up to R500.00 per item on shipping. BoB does not take a cut on the shipping....so who is actually scoring?:confused::confused:

I'm sure BoB makes a bundle out all the "dropshippers," but I think it kills the "community" feel of BoB.

ATA STAMP CENTRE    10
ATA STAMP CENTRE

I do not dropship and i have never bought from a dropshipper ,so therefore have no opinion.:toung:

RISadler    10
RISadler

Miss Jewels, assuming you are correct, one then immediately wonders why BoB allows them dropshippers?

Lingerie Delights    10
Lingerie Delights

If you look at Ebay and Amazon, many of the sellers are dropshippers and without the dropshippers, the 2 companies would be less successful. So imo it is a good business decision for Bid or Buy to allow dropshippers to sell here. Believe me, it is not easy running a dropship business as you can never compete with the low shipping rates offered by sellers who do carry stock plus the delivery timeframe offered by local sellers who carry stock. So at the end of the day, the dropshipper is not a threat to the seller who carries stock and in fact tend to sell less that those who carry stock precisely because of long delivery timeframes and high shipping cost. Miss Jewels is correct, Bid or buy does not make money on the shipping at all. However, It will not make good business sense to throw away the commission they get from sales made by dropshippers, by banning dropshippers from selling here.

With regards to confusing the seller with Bid or Buy, I do feel that customers who buy on bid or buy are not ignorant and therefore will not hold bid or buy responsible for the actions of a seller. Imo the rating system is very visible and even a not so bright customer can clearly see that the sellers are individuals and do not work for Bid or Buy.

Edited by Lingerie Delights

RISadler    10
RISadler
[..] I do feel that customers who buy on bid or buy are not ignorant [..]

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! gasp ... gasp ... gasp ...

svw    10
svw

With regards to confusing the seller with Bid or Buy, I do feel that customers who buy on bid or buy are not ignorant and therefore will not hold bid or buy responsible for the actions of a seller. Imo the rating system is very visible and even a not so bright customer can clearly see that the sellers are individuals and do not work for Bid or Buy.

I a perfect world yes but unfortunately this is not the case there are many previous posts on this forum dealing with these issues.

Miss Jewels    10
Miss Jewels

BoB's idea is that anyone "legal" can sell on here, and if you have enough ratings and are verified, you may apply for dropshipping. This is, I suppose, for sellers who do not have the storage space for everything they want to sell, or that they do not have that amount of capital outlay (no offence intended to anyone please), but it would be nice if Cuan could give some feedback on this specific question of yours. I am also an authorized dropshipper, but have all items on auction/buy now, in stock. I use this as a backup.....

Miss Jewels, assuming you are correct, one then immediately wonders why BoB allows them dropshippers?

voldermort    10
voldermort

I must clearly be not so bright today but I'm sure on another thread it was mentioned that BoB staff can & sometimes do sell on BoB.

qball    10
qball

Miss Jewels is mostly right. Dropshippers we permit as they can add value to the site, particular on products that may not be available in the country or add value by providing bargains for buyers and variety. As long as the seller has a reliable supplier and there are no real issues with delivery, the question should be - why not? Our main issue is unauthorised dropshippers - those that are new, do not have reliable and trusted suppliers or who do not make it clear that items are not in stock, cause most of the problems.

RISadler    10
RISadler
[..] particular on products that may not be available in the country or add value by providing bargains for buyers [..] and there are no real issues with delivery, the question should be - why not?

Scenario ... pay R1 for item, R500 for postage; dropshipper's supplier marks value of item R400 (as postage and commission was R100); buyer gets shock at P-Off. when SARS wants another R400 plus handling fee for import duties.

That R1 bargain just turned into R943 of wallet-emptying tragedy. How many people will truly understand what has just happened and how many will never buy again?

Anyway, as a seasoned BoB'er I always click the ol' close nobby for the tab (in mah browser) when I spot the seller is dropshippin' ... no matter how desirable the item.

RISadler    10
RISadler

Erm, perhaps this thread could do with a poll: Would you buy from a dropshipper (again) ... yes/no.

Not1CentMore    10
Not1CentMore

I dropship. I have trusted suppliers that I have used for over 15-years (arts and craft shows, street fairs, auctions, home and garden shows, etc.) and am notified if stock is low or an item has been discontinued so listing can be updated and/or closed (once in a 'blue moon' one may 'slip through the cracks'). Items not in stock are so noted in listing.

Postage costs can easily be verified at www.usps.com (does not show 'special service add-on' such as registered or insured; $12.50USD minimum). Crazy Wednesday and Snap Friday auctions, I normally lose money, but consider the promo auctions 'advertising'.

For example, a 12" x 8" x 10" container, weighing 5-lbs, costs $58.75USD (R524.00).... around $12.00/pound. The same size container under 4-lbs can be sent USPS 1st Class International for $37.70USD (R336.00)... does not include 'special service add-on'. First Class Int'l costs are not 'carved in stone'; 'varies by destination' (Postal Code) and that 'varies' usually means the cost to ship a parcel goes up, not down. (More than a few of the items I offer on BoB exceed the 4-lb and / or volumetric weight limit.)

Yes, there may be a handful of Sellers that 'pad' shipping costs, but shipping / postal costs are not 'universal' costs. Postage / Shipping costs vary from Country to Country. A 'wise' Buyer asks, via Q&A, if he / she has a shipping (or other) question / concern.

I would not hesitate to bid/win or buy from an authorized dropshipper on BoB (or anywhere else) if the Seller / Business is 'reputable'... especially if it is something that was not readily available locally or within driving distance.

JMHO

Ruthie

Edited by Not1CentMore

kebs    10
kebs

I'm an authorized drop-shipper, but I do try to keep most items in stock anyway. But I do things differently so there's no extra costs to the buyer - I have items posted to me & I pay any & all custom fees myself, then post the item to the buyer.. Although it's clearly stated in each listing whether the item in in stock or not, some buyers still don't read though..

Racer Gadgets    10
Racer Gadgets

When you dropship you have to keep your profit margin small, always send with registered airmail, make sure you regularly update your customers with tracking status and when the goods arrive in the country update your customers with the local tracking numbers, also should there be any problems, delays incorrect goods you must sort it out personally and not simple refer your customer to the supply company..ultimately that is the service a dropshipper gets paid for.....

JANDS    10
JANDS

To each his own. Personally I think the risks involved and the potential ensuing battle for satisfaction is not worth the effort nor the anger. I buy music occasionally from one drop-shipper who does not charge postage, merely for the item. Their prices are very reasonable and their approach so far has been utterly professional. Well done Loot.

Colin_P    10
Colin_P

I can't see the point of drop shipping from a buyers point of view. Why bother adding a middle-man when you could just order the product directly from the supplier? From what I can see the drop-shipper doesn't add value to the transaction, and there is way too much opportunity for blame shifting.

MiemsJewels    10
MiemsJewels
Scenario ... pay R1 for item, R500 for postage; dropshipper's supplier marks value of item R400 (as postage and commission was R100); buyer gets shock at P-Off. when SARS wants another R400 plus handling fee for import duties.

That R1 bargain just turned into R943 of wallet-emptying tragedy. How many people will truly understand what has just happened and how many will never buy again?

Anyway, as a seasoned BoB'er I always click the ol' close nobby for the tab (in mah browser) when I spot the seller is dropshippin' ... no matter how desirable the item.

Most of the suppliers drop shippers deal with offers FREE SHIPPING!.Especially on jewelery. So why the R200 + for dropshipping?

Example: Price paid for item (estimated) R70 + listing fees (estimated) R10 = R80. If a buyer pay only R1 item + R200 for shipping, total payment R201 due by buyer - 5% success fees for Bidorbuy on R1 = 05c.

R200.95

- 80.00 Paid for item

R 120.95 In the sellers pocket.