Sign in to follow this  
Vegar

Delay in sending e-mails for auctions in progress

Vegar

The e-mail notifications on auctions in progress had a delay time of 40 minutes yesterday - why is that?

I was sitting with a friend, who is a first time user on BOB, who had bid on 3 items. I had reassured him that if he gets outbid there will be an e-mail notification. He placed bids an hour before the end.

A few minutes before the auction end he went to the page of one of the auctions and to his horror discovered that 3 other bidders were having a furious bidding war. Being inexperienced he lost two of the auctions and over paid on the third.

It was an upsetting experience - to say the least.

Since the three auctions ended at the same time it was difficult to get an overview of what was happening and being alerted to other bids is much better than sitting and flipping between pages and getting confused on where to concentrate.

I looked at the time other bids were placed when at last the e-mail notification came through - a delay of 40 to 43 minutes!!!

I am aware that this has been the standard for some weeks now ... NOT impressed! :disgusted:

TribalTrade

I do hope that you will get some feedback on this issue.

I actually opened a thread on 18 January already, and up to now I have not had any feedback?:wondering:

http://forum.bidorbuy.co.za/feedback-bidorbuy-team/18095-crazy-newsletters.html

I also experienced the same problem as you.

I receive my "auction's sold with winning bids" notifications very late after closure.

Payment notifications also seem to be late.

I actually received payment from a buyer and e-mailed him at 05:33 today. The payment reflected on my status.

The payment notification e-mail only came through at 07:09.

MacMuffin

Hi there,

pls PM me your friends userid so that we can investigate. In many cases we find that the email deliverability issues reside upstream - i.e. our transaction servers push mails to our mailserver which then in turn pushes the mail out. This happens typically within 1-10 seconds of the mail being generated on our transactional servers.

Once the mails leave our mailserver and are handed over to ISPs we have no insight what exactly happens. For transactional mails we utilise 3 mail-servers to distribute load which allows us to sent mail within seconds regardless of volume. Our email practises are following all best practises and we have a SenderScore of 99 (anything above 85 is actually excellent).

In most cases delays from your ISPs can be avoided by whitelisting the bidorbuy.co.za domain as a trusted sender - this will ensure that mails go through quickly.

I will give more feedback once I have received your friends userid to see what exactly happened.

Vegar

I will have to ask permission before I can give you his user ID.

However, it seems that our experience yesterday was not an isolated freak occurrence - other kinds of mail are being sent late ... not so?

retailrush

I have also been experiencing delayed notification emails - I have already asked my service provider to whitelist Bid or Buy as a trusted sender, but I am still experiencing delays.

meeks
I have also been experiencing delayed notification emails - I have already asked my service provider to whitelist Bid or Buy as a trusted sender, but I am still experiencing delays.

I have the same problem.. This whole week already.

voldermort

I am receiving all emails timeously thank you - the only thing is that all rating emails are bn sent twice :notrust:

lilythepink

My emails from BoB seem to be coming through on time.

RAG Auctioneers

Are you / your friend with a Mweb email?

Mweb use a spam filter called greylisting which can delay emails form 30 mins to 1 hour.

Even my banking emails came in 30 minutes later. Very annoying.

I have since started using Gmail and no frustrations at all :-)

lilythepink

I am on Helkom ADSL and I think voldermort is too.

Jongleur
The e-mail notifications on auctions in progress had a delay time of 40 minutes yesterday - why is that?

I was sitting with a friend, who is a first time user on BOB, who had bid on 3 items. I had reassured him that if he gets outbid there will be an e-mail notification. He placed bids an hour before the end.

A few minutes before the auction end he went to the page of one of the auctions and to his horror discovered that 3 other bidders were having a furious bidding war. Being inexperienced he lost two of the auctions and over paid on the third.

It was an upsetting experience - to say the least.

Since the three auctions ended at the same time it was difficult to get an overview of what was happening and being alerted to other bids is much better than sitting and flipping between pages and getting confused on where to concentrate.

I looked at the time other bids were placed when at last the e-mail notification came through - a delay of 40 to 43 minutes!!!

I am aware that this has been the standard for some weeks now ... NOT impressed! :disgusted:

Been happening since forever.

Vegar
Are you / your friend with a Mweb email?

Mweb use a spam filter called greylisting which can delay emails form 30 mins to 1 hour.

Even my banking emails came in 30 minutes later. Very annoying.

I have since started using Gmail and no frustrations at all :-)

No, we are both with Telscum ...

I am now monitoring e-mails coming from BOB. It seems erratic. I had auctions finish early in the evening and the notifications were instant. Those who finished later had a delay of about 10 minutes.

Vegar
My emails from BoB seem to be coming through on time.

That is really good!

retailrush

I have just had 11 items close at 09h00am and only received 4 notifications just after 9am... From past experience, I now know that the rest will come through in dribs and drabs... I am really wondering what the problem can be...