Sign in to follow this  
captain emo

How many people would support this?

captain emo    10
captain emo

This post is in no way an attempt to tell Bob how they must/should run their business, it is merely an attempt to gauge how many people support what I am going to propose as a modification to the current model.

Currently Bob may collect funds on behalf of the seller and these are released to the seller before the buyer has received his/her goods. This can lead to the following scenarios:

1) Buyer pays and waits an eternity for goods to be posted

2) Buyer pays and goods are posted but the wrong stuff is posted meaning goods have to be sent back to seller and then correct goods sent back to them

3) Buyer pays only to be told goods are no longer availabe and has to wait an age for a refund

4) Buyer pays, receives goods and isnt happy so sends them back. Waits an age for refund

5) Buyer pays and seller buggers off with the money. Buyer is forced to lay a charge which will in all likelihood cost more in legal fees and time taken off work to go to court to due to delays (guy I work with had to go back 4 times despite thieves beign caught redhanded by the cops stealing his car) than the amount to be recovered so its called a loss

What I am suggesting is that BoB play middleman and hold on to the money until both parties have indicated that they are either happy with the transaction or unhappy but unable to reach an agreement so a refund will take place. In the case of a refund the buyer must provide proof that he has posted the goods back to the seller and that said goods arrived at the sellers address/post office.

Now I know some people may argue that in the case of computer software for example the buyer may recive the goods, copy them and then send them back saying he is unhappy or that something is too badly scratched to work. That can happen under the current model as well so if it is going to happen it is going to happen. The seller could of course always take a pic of the goods before they leave to prove they left in good condition. In such a case where the seller can prove they did nothing wrong Bob should transfer the funds to them for upholding their end of the bargain and immediately ban the buyer for being full of crap and attempting to defraud the system.

The benefits I envision from BoB holding funds would be:

1) Sellers are encouraged to post goods within a reasonable time if they want to get paid

2) Reduction in number of cases where buyers get defrauded

3) Reduction in number of negative ratings for excessive posting delays caused by the seller (ie non postal strike related) as the buyer can simply contact BoB for their money back and render the sale null and void.

4) BoB can generate some extra income by using a easy access call account or trust account. Funds would generally only be in the account for a few days but given the number of transactions that must go through BoB on a monthly basis, the interest can quickly rack up. This interest can be used to fund the extra admin costs/accounting costs that may arise from keeping tabs on the staus of orders/transactions.

Of course Bob would need to include a term in their terms and conditions that any interest earned on monies deposited into its bank account belongs soley to Bob. I see this as a fair term so that sellers arent the only ones "paying" to use Bob.

Edited by captain emo
spelling/grammar

mrmouse    11
mrmouse
This post is in no way an attempt to tell Bob how they must/should run their business, it is merely an attempt to gauge how many people support what I am going to propose as a modification to the current model.

I LOVE IT , I have been screwed so many times I now will never buy on auction again , its an easy way to unload junk without any warrantys etc.and it would give you a chance to maybe recover youre funds if an item is faulty if purchased through a buy now .Seller only gets paid when buyer is happy , as with certain other sites .

Edited by mrmouse

captain emo    10
captain emo

Wow just read though my post again, my dyslexia is getting bad. Sorry for any letters the wrong way around folks.

ka69    10
ka69

This issue and the system you suggest has been discussed numerous times in other threads on this forum. Our banking laws makes something like this extremely difficult, if not impossible as far as I understand it.

I posted a similar idea not very long ago, BTW. Some of the sellers do not appear overly fond of the idea :laugh:!!!!

I however think it would be a good idea, but difficult to impement, i.e. What happens if the buyer does not notify BoB that the item has been delivered and the seller is now out of pocket?

You are most probably going to get yourself ripped a new one again:wink:!!!

Oh yeah, not all sellers are baddies, some really try!!

captain emo    10
captain emo

Sorry I didn't know this had been discussed before.

I know that not all sellers are bad, i honestly believe that the vast majority are good people trying to make an honest buck. However given that some of the stuff sold on bob can be very high value, getting screwed over by a dodgy seller doing a runner with the money can be a costly excercise.

With regards to buyers failing to notify bob that something was delivered, there should be a failsafe in place in the terms that bob will attempt to contact the buyer and if they are unable to do so they will get the tracking number from the seller and verify the status of the order. All uncollected deliveries shall be deemed delivered and the seller shall be paid. Sorry if that is vague, I have only bought on bob so all my posts are from a buyers view hence require input from others.

My idea is not perfect and no dought requires manx tweaks but its a starting point for input.

As for getting ripped a new one thats fine I deal with that everyday. Remember folks its never your fault you didnt pay your tax on time, its always the auditors/external accountants fault.

Not1CentMore    10
Not1CentMore

This has been 'cussed and discussed'. Besides being a nightmare for BoB, it would 'create' more headaches for both Buyer and Seller than it would 'cure'. A 'reputable' Seller has already 'proved' his / herself to Buyers, time and time and time again. 'Responsible' Buyers have also proven themselves. Once in a while a Buyer gets a 'fly-by-night' Seller and/or a Seller gets a 'flake' Buyer. When this happens, and BoB is made aware of it, it is handled in as timely fashion as possible and, fingers crossed, resolved in the best way possible.

Ruthie

ATA STAMP CENTRE    10
ATA STAMP CENTRE

Currently Bob may collect funds on behalf of the seller and these are released to the seller before the buyer has received his/her goods. This can lead to the following scenarios:

1) Buyer pays and waits an eternity for goods to be posted

2) Buyer pays and goods are posted but the wrong stuff is posted meaning goods have to be sent back to seller and then correct goods sent back to them

3) Buyer pays only to be told goods are no longer availabe and has to wait an age for a refund

4) Buyer pays, receives goods and isnt happy so sends them back. Waits an age for refund

5) Buyer pays and seller buggers off with the money. Buyer is forced to lay a charge which will in all likelihood cost more in legal fees and time taken off work to go to court to due to delays (guy I work with had to go back 4 times despite thieves beign caught redhanded by the cops stealing his car) than the amount to be recovered so its called a loss

What I am suggesting is that BoB play middleman and hold on to the money until both parties have indicated that they are either happy with the transaction or unhappy but unable to reach an agreement so a refund will take place. In the case of a refund the buyer must provide proof that he has posted the goods back to the seller and that said goods arrived at the sellers address/post office.

Now I know some people may argue that in the case of computer software for example the buyer may recive the goods, copy them and then send them back saying he is unhappy or that something is too badly scratched to work. That can happen under the current model as well so if it is going to happen it is going to happen. The seller could of course always take a pic of the goods before they leave to prove they left in good condition. In such a case where the seller can prove they did nothing wrong Bob should transfer the funds to them for upholding their end of the bargain and immediately ban the buyer for being full of crap and attempting to defraud the system.

The benefits I envision from BoB holding funds would be:

1) Sellers are encouraged to post goods within a reasonable time if they want to get paid

2) Reduction in number of cases where buyers get defrauded

3) Reduction in number of negative ratings for excessive posting delays caused by the seller (ie non postal strike related) as the buyer can simply contact BoB for their money back and render the sale null and void.

4) BoB can generate some extra income by using a easy access call account or trust account. Funds would generally only be in the account for a few days but given the number of transactions that must go through BoB on a monthly basis, the interest can quickly rack up. This interest can be used to fund the extra admin costs/accounting costs that may arise from keeping tabs on the staus of orders/transactions.

Of course Bob would need to include a term in their terms and conditions that any interest earned on monies deposited into its bank account belongs soley to Bob. I see this as a fair term so that sellers arent the only ones "paying" to use Bob.

UTOPIA,

Population Zero!!!

captain emo    10
captain emo

While I agree that by and large operating on trust should be possible, "should" is little consolation to someone who gets screwed out of a couple of grand (on a big purchase) and bob cant really do anything beyond advising them to open a case and blacklisting the seller (proverbial slap on the wrist in my opinion).

ka69    10
ka69

I actually agree with you entirely, but then again any system is open to abuse in some way or another. I have not bought a lot of items on BoB, my first purchase was brilliant. I'm still holding thumbs about the second. I do however do a lot of online buying and use BoB when I feel I can pick up a bargain. (This relates to your market value post).

I see the sellers are treating you more gently than I was treated a couple of days ago :confused:. Thing is, the sellers that respond on here are the trustworthy blokes/lasses and feel they have proven themselves and paid their dues. They are not the ones buyers should be concerned about.

The challenge remains, as a buyer, how do you spot the baddies? From reading a lot on the forums some appear perfectly legit at first and then suddenly go bad.

If only there was a way to see into the future....

captain emo    10
captain emo

Hmmm...to see into the future? Now on crazy auction 1 slightly used crystal ball. Postage R35 rand R15 per additional item. Bids start at R1, any takers?

ka69    10
ka69
Hmmm...to see into the future? Now on crazy auction 1 slightly used crystal ball. Postage R35 rand R15 per additional item. Bids start at R1, any takers?

Good comeback!! Am I going to receive it though???? Will it work??? How do I go about getting a refund if it does not work?????

Damn, dunno if I should bid? YES....NO.....YES....NO....

Oh, blast it to hell:laugh:

voldermort    10
voldermort
UTOPIA,

Population Zero!!!

I can only give you one like for this but if I could, I'd give you 10 :bigsmile:

captain emo    10
captain emo

Oh hell, the regulars are starting to rise from their crypts. Hide me, I think they still want to lynch me! I will give you the crystal ball for free. **disclaimer - the only thing the crystal ball has accurately predicted is that Eskom will hike prices. No guarantee on anything else.

ka69    10
ka69

Run, change your address, open new BoB account under different name, apply for witness protection, etc :laugh:

No, theyre really not that bad. Like I said earlier; the good guys are the ones who post here.

BTW, why is the time on posts not the actual time you post? Seems to be about two hours "early".

captain emo    10
captain emo

I was actually trying to figure that out the other day. Bob works on Grenich mean time?

Mad about Jack    10
Mad about Jack

This sounds like an Escrow service ?

Jongleur    10
Jongleur
I was actually trying to figure that out the other day. Bob works on Grenich mean time?

Greenwich. Meantime, learn how to spell.

captain emo    10
captain emo

Thanks Dr Perfect!

captain emo    10
captain emo

That there Ka69 is exactly why I have an issue with the forum regulars. They have this high and mighty attitude due to the fact that they have been here so long.

The fact that someone spelled something wrong can be due to a number of reasons not least of which is the fact that English may not be your home language. In my case my reply was typed quickly on my phone whilst shopping.

If that is how the senior members treat newer forum members, it's (musn't forget the apostrophe lest Dr. Perfect there has a hernia) no wonder there is so little activity from the junior members.

captain emo    10
captain emo

Just to clarify (before I spark another lynchmob), not all the senior members are bad just a few who think they are above it all and what they say must go simply because they have "paid their dues".

admin    0
admin

Okay folks, this is enough. There are too many legal issues for bidorbuy to accept payment on behalf of sellers, as explained by Cuan previously. Thank you for the suggestion though captain emo.

Input on the forum is appreciated from all users, irrespective of their number of posts. Please stick to the topics, state facts and argue the post not the poster. No more warnings will be given for off topic and confrontational post, action will be taken against the relevant users.

Thread closed.

Edited by admin