Sign in to follow this  
DIY PRODUCTS

Anyone on Epilim CR 300 Controlled Release?

DIY PRODUCTS    10
DIY PRODUCTS

Hi, I have done the Google Searching thing and cant seem to find the simple answer I am looking for, so I am turning to the Forum as I am sure there must be at least 1 other person on this med.

With my prescription renewal today I have been taken off Epilec and put on Epilem CR300 Sodium Valproate. When my doctor explained that I would now be placing the pill under my tongue and not swallowing it, I assumed it would (firstly, be much smaller!:weird:) Secondly, dissolve in some way...

When I filled the script the chemist explained the same and I thought to ask how long for the effect to take place, she said immediately. Cool.

Now that I am taking my meds I get to this Epilem and I am not even sure I got the right stuff! I put the pill under my tongue it does NOTHING, it tastes HORRID, after less than a minute I have thrown up, and the pill went with!

Can anyone tell me if it actually does start to dissolve at some point (once I manage to keep it in my mouth) if so, how long does it take before its dissolved, how long does it really take to start effect and cant I just swallow it like everything else:ninja:

I have to take it tonight and in the morning again and I dont see chance to choke on this thing in my sleep.

Really wish I had my doctors cell number right now....

DIY PRODUCTS    10
DIY PRODUCTS

Btw, the Package insert under Dosage and Directions for use says :

Epilem CR is a controlled release formulation of Epilem , which reduces peak concentration and ensures a more even plasma concentration throughout the day. <-- Thats it! Nothing more?? Useless.

admin    0
admin
Epilim should preferably be taken with or after food. The tablets should be swallowed whole, if

necessary with a little water (but not with aerated mineral water) and not crushed or chewed.

On page 8 at the bottom : http://www.epilepsy.org.za/download/files/17.pdf

DIY PRODUCTS    10
DIY PRODUCTS

Ok, I have a HUGE Neon sign above my head now advertising my stupidity! I just got to the Ativan (also a new addition).... It dissolved almost immediately:oops:

DIY PRODUCTS    10
DIY PRODUCTS
Epilim should preferably be taken with or after food. The tablets should be swallowed whole, if

necessary with a little water (but not with aerated mineral water) and not crushed or chewed.

On page 8 at the bottom : http://www.epilepsy.org.za/download/files/17.pdf

Thanks, also managed to catch the part about the weight gain :cry:

Cali Craft and Gems    10
Cali Craft and Gems

My late father-in-law was put onto Epilim as the doc "thought" he was having seizures. Turns out that there were no seizures and that he was simply having "mini strokes" due to blood clots working their way through his system and brain.

The Epilim made him very drowsy and he fell asleep even in the middle of being fed dinner. From our personal experience it is a very strong medication which should only be administered if and when necessary - not as a chronic or ongoing med as it will do more harm than good! (remember that the docs get a kick back from the medicine manufacturers for promoting or pushing "their" product despite the results!)

PS. Another doc stopped the Epilim three weeks before my father-in-law passed away, but the damage had already been done!