Sign in to follow this  
catzcan

Old News Papers

catzcan

Hi,

I was given some old South African News Papers the other day - 1960's. Is there any market for it? I've searched on

BoB but couldn't find anything

Does anybody here know?

Thx in advance:biggrin:

MiemsJewels
Hi,

I was given some old South African News Papers the other day - 1960's. Is there any market for it? I've searched on

BoB but couldn't find anything

Does anybody here know?

Thx in advance:biggrin:

Read the papers first Sue, and take a wild ride to the past. Those were still the "innocent" years.

wayjen

There is a market for everything. Just list and let it run what have you to lose?

Just Beachin

Old Newspapers are interesting to people that have memories with them, if it depict a major event, i.e. the Debut of the Beatles,Kennedy assassination, Marilyn's death or the first Moon landing (think I covered the Sixty's). Those could be framed, and perhaps get a nice price as interior decorations. But they are particularly more important & valuable to the area in which it happened.(i.e Marilyn.Monroe's death,= L.A. Times). The condition of the paper is also and issue, please research this subject. (Harry Rinker on collectibles)

The third major market would be "Were you born on this date"? Good Luck!

catzcan
Read the papers first Sue, and take a wild ride to the past. Those were still the "innocent" years.

hahahaha Miems - I did!!!!!:shock: Was lost in time, only got back now. I did come across a few specials during my travels:bigsmile:

mens.jpg.46ac1c4bcb87841773f2219f5b557c62.jpg

shoes.jpg.6c7d2756ab2814ce46a27137b9418ed1.jpg

matress.jpg.b4c716e9381c276213fdfa24099d8024.jpg

DIY PRODUCTS

How many of these do you have? are they all Afrikaans and in what condition?

catzcan
How many of these do you have? are they all Afrikaans and in what condition?

i have 3 at the moment with others on the way. The ones I've got now is all in Afrikaans - 2 x Die Transvaler and

1 X Sondag Stem. They are in excellent condition with all the pages as far as I can tell. The pages has "yellowed" as one

would expect.

MiemsJewels
i have 3 at the moment with others on the way. The ones I've got now is all in Afrikaans - 2 x Die Transvaler and

1 X Sondag Stem. They are in excellent condition with all the pages as far as I can tell. The pages has "yellowed" as one

would expect.

To think those valuable papers usually ended up in the outside longdrop toilets (kleinhuisies) those days. Yeah... those were the days my friend..

Just Beachin
To think those valuable papers usually ended up in the outside longdrop toilets (kleinhuisies) those days. Yeah... those were the days my friend..

Sad to say, I have to agree with Miems

wayjen

About 2 years ago I think, I sold about 10 old newspapers from Rhodesia dated 1960's and made good money. The guy who wanted all my old newspapers needed them for the adverts or something for a project.

lilythepink

Well, having got married in the late 60's I would love some confirmation of my memories that one could live happily on R10.00 a week - yes a week - for groceries (including meat, milk and hubby's cigarettes!) Hubby was earning R260 per month and we bought a house, a brand new car for cash and had a baby all within the first year of being married. We also had a superb holiday at a hotel in Durban. Everything was paid for in cash, apart from the house.

Our first house, in 1967, cost us R5 725.00 for a 3-bedroomed home on a quarter acre plot with garage and servant's quarters in Cambridge, East London. Our bond repayment was R23.00 per month. I still have the Deed of Sale which in itself must be quite a valuable (and almost unbelievable!) document!

catzcan
About 2 years ago I think, I sold about 10 old newspapers from Rhodesia dated 1960's and made good money. The guy who wanted all my old newspapers needed them for the adverts or something for a project.

Thx Wayne, I think I'll list hem over the weekend and see how it goes:thinking: Any idea on how much I should start the auction?

wayjen
Thx Wayne, I think I'll list hem over the weekend and see how it goes:thinking: Any idea on how much I should start the auction?

ooh hell, I can't remember what I listed mine at but it might have been like R50 or something. I had to do a Buy-Now for the Buyer with those newspapers and some others. I know mine were the property paper or something but yours are actual newspapers so maybe check around first.

rezizter

Worst thing about reading old papers is old adverts - When you see what the price of things where back then, and now. Cars have changed over the years, so it's difficult to gauge, but a 2L coke, or a wimpy burger, those get me depressed.

Wimpy prices in 1972:

Wimpy1972.jpg.9b190128f7aba1fb4c46e87cf99f7786.jpg

Images taken from http://rwrant.co.za/wimpy-in-the-good-old-days/

booksallsizes
Worst thing about reading old papers is old adverts - When you see what the price of things where back then, and now. Cars have changed over the years, so it's difficult to gauge, but a 2L coke, or a wimpy burger, those get me depressed.

Wimpy prices in 1972:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4409[/ATTACH]

Images taken from Wimpy in the Good Old Days | Running Wolf's Rant

And the food still looks exactly the same!