Sign in to follow this  
Cali Craft and Gems

A question for the beaders or bead suppliers

Cali Craft and Gems    10
Cali Craft and Gems

If you are a beader or bead seller, you should know what tiger tail is. This question is in relation to this product.

As a bead seller, I purchase my tiger tail in from two retailers in SA - both are independant bead companies and are not "Chinese" shops either!

Both suppliers state that the spools of tiger tail are 100m per spool, be it the 0.38mm or 0.45mm.

A buyer purchased many spools of tiger tail from me in early December 2012, and has now rated me on some of the products, accompanied with an email.

In this email she states that she thinks two of the spools of tiger tail are secondhand or used, and are not new as advertised. I have asked for her to elaborate as to what has given her this impression as all our bead items are brand new and unused.

What, in your opinion, would give you the impression that a brand new product (in this case a spool of tiger tail) could be used or secondhand? Keep in mind that the spools she purchased were from both of my suppliers, and all spools were "full" with the ends neatly tucked into the slit in the plastic spool edging. I also only sell this product per the entire roll and not per metre, so there is no possibility of a "short" spool being sent in error.

I do know however that not all of the spools were made of the same plastic as some are more opaque and some are pure white (and hard). Also, the outer edge of the harder spools often tend to break when posted thanks only to the SAPO handling (no matter how well you pack)!

Your input or advice would be appreciated.

Edited by Cali Craft and Gems

MiemsJewels    10
MiemsJewels

Now ways Cali. Tiger tail is tiger tail, is tigertail. Even if it was bought from a China Shop. Never heard of "used" tiger tail before.

I also bought from several suppliers, and they are all the same! "Used" Tigertail? Never heard that one before!:rolleyes:

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

Cali, I am an avid beader and I have never heard of "used" tiger tail in my life before. And I use metres and metres of the stuff in different colours and sizes.

What MIGHT have happened is that the tiger tail was not rolled properly on the roll (that has happened to me once or twice over - about 15 years I must add) and this has led to "kinks" in the wire. One roll, many years ago, was so bad that I ended up throwing the entire roll away. But remember I do beading almost every day and this is a rare, very rare, occurrence.

For your buyer to have TWO of the rolls she got from you declared "used" or "faulty" is suspicious to my mind. Hope this helps you. (Unless the rolls were manufactured at the same time so would have the same problem when they were rolled onto the plastic support).

Edited by lilythepink

Cali Craft and Gems    10
Cali Craft and Gems

The buyer has emailed me with photographs showing that the one spool's edging had been cracked in the post. She is NOT happy with this at all! (honestly, it is not like the plastic spool adds or decreases the value or use of the product!)

She stated that she unrolled and measured the one spool and it was 52m instead of the 100m as per the manufacturers label on the product.

All I can do is bring it to the attention of the supplier and see what happens from there. I doubt the supplier is going to do anything as they too are relying on their supplier / the manufacturer.

It is a vicious circle and it seems like it is becoming more and more of a problem thanks only to the manufacturer who is at the start of the proverbial chain! (currently have an issue with a major beading supplier with regards to their chains sold per 10m roll - most are under the stated measurement by up to 5m each!)

Will send the buyer and email too...

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

Good grief - who in their right mind would unroll all that tiger tail and hope to keep it undamaged?

I think it would be easiest for you to just replace what she is complaining about and let bygones be bygones. Otherwise you're going to stress yourself unnecessarily.

But it does seem that when we sell things we are going to have to somehow have a plan of action to state that any shortfall in measurement is part and parcel of the sale as we cannot go measuring metres and metres of rolls and rolls of wire! (No, I don't sell any but many do!)