Sign in to follow this  
Nubbi

Trench art walking stick - opinions on value?

Nubbi    10
Nubbi

I was recently given this walking stick made from .50 rounds and as far as I know is a fine example of trench art? I would love to hear your opinions on its estimated value? thanks

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4387[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4386[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]4385[/ATTACH]

Edited by Nubbi

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

I think it's pretty nifty, Nubbi. But valuewise - it could be worth a fortune to someone who collects walking sticks (I don't know what we would call a collector of walking sticks???)

Nubbi    10
Nubbi

it is kind of nifty, just wish I could get an idea of what it is worth so I can know if I should keep it or sell it?

ka69    10
ka69

I may be off the ball completely, but any item made from "parts of ammunition" needs to be accompanied by a certificate stating to whom and why this is in the possession of the holder of such an item. Because of my work/experience I have had to assist the SAPS when they on occasion find items such as these in peoples houses. Remember that most of the people on lower level in the SAPS have had no military training and often do not know what they are dealing with when they encounter items such as these. Anyway, my 2c worth!!

Nubbi    10
Nubbi

no offence but I have seen thousands of items that are classified trench art and none of them had any certificates? none of the parts can be used as ammunition ever again so what is the problem?

Jongleur    10
Jongleur
I may be off the ball completely, but any item made from "parts of ammunition" needs to be accompanied by a certificate stating to whom and why this is in the possession of the holder of such an item. Because of my work/experience I have had to assist the SAPS when they on occasion find items such as these in peoples houses. Remember that most of the people on lower level in the SAPS have had no military training and often do not know what they are dealing with when they encounter items such as these. Anyway, my 2c worth!!

As anyone who watches Isidingo will tell you, you buy guns and ammunition from the

local shebeen. No training required. No certificates either. Other stuff you buy on Bob.

The shebeens don`t mind.

Edited by Jongleur

wayjen    10
wayjen

Next the flatfoot would want to see paperwork for that cannon shell ashtray you have at the bar or that bazooka type shell you made as a bedside light. Wait till they see my rambo knife, they will poop themselves sinneloos.

Nubbi    10
Nubbi

LoL wait till they see my vampire killing stake - they will forget all about my walking stick!!

wayjen    10
wayjen

Don't open the door around supper time when they see that juicy steak, they would want to stay for supper.

Jongleur    10
Jongleur
Next the flatfoot would want to see paperwork for that cannon shell ashtray you have at the bar or that bazooka type shell you made as a bedside light. Wait till they see my rambo knife, they will poop themselves sinneloos.

Not to mention the rocket and nuclear warhead combo I got

for a song in China.

Nubbi    10
Nubbi

seems I am never going to find a value for this walking stick? some want to lock me up and others want to eat my steaks but nobody is willing to venture a price? LoL

wayjen    10
wayjen

If you point the walking stick at the flatfoot and shout "BANG" his expression with be PRICELESS.

Nubbi    10
Nubbi

LoL and then he shoots me in self defence???

wayjen    10
wayjen
LoL and then he shoots me in self defence???

your walking stick has more bullets.

Nubbi    10
Nubbi

yup and mine are bigger!! LoL

JohnBenn    10
JohnBenn

Wouldn't it be more "homemade trench" art,rather than trench art.Trench art being made by soldiers to pass the time in/near the trenches.Which equals antiques and higher prices.

http://www.kitwood.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/SoldiersCraft001.jpg

http://www.kitwood.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/Trench-Art-Vases.jpg

Where was it made?

It looks homemade.Maybe R200??? I have no clue.

ka69    10
ka69

Yip, and because they do not know what it is and only recognise it as ammunition the situation can become decidedly uncomfortable.

A few years ago I was asked to resolve such an issue because of such items that had ended up in a estate. A shell case ahtray was one of the items and was viewed as ammunition.

In another case I know of someone found an entire high explosive cannon shell(with fuse) that an old lady had been using as a "bed warmer" by heating it in her coal stove untill nice and toasty and then using it to warm her wintry sheets. This was eventually destroyed.

admin    0
admin
Firearms Control Act, 2000

Chapter 10 : Control of ammunition and firearm parts

90. Prohibition of possession of ammunition

No person may possess any ammunition unless he or she -

a) holds a licence in respect of a firearm capable of discharging that ammunition;

b) holds a permit to possess ammunition;

c) holds a dealer's licence, manufacturer's licence, gunsmith's licence, import, export or in-transit permit or transporter's permit issued in terms of this Act; or

d) is otherwise authorised to do so.

Ammunition:

means a primer or complete cartridge;

cartridge:

means a complete object consisting of a cartridge case, primer, propellant and bullet;

primer is a component of pistol and rifle rounds. Upon striking, primer reacts chemically to produce heat which ignites the propellant and fires the projectile.

http://www.info.gov.za/view/DownloadFileAction?id=68229

MrAerospace    10
MrAerospace

Nice walking stick, Nubbi. Wonder whether the chap is still alive and what his thoughts were at the time he made it!

wayjen    10
wayjen
Nice walking stick, Nubbi. Wonder whether the chap is still alive and what his thoughts were at the time he made it!

He was thinking "I don't want to be around when this mother goes off".

ka69    10
ka69

What further complicates this is that the Act focusses primarily on "small" calibre ammo in terms of the given definition. In the SA definition this is seen as smaller than 20mm ammo according to the SAPS.

Given that 20mm and above will definitely be seen as military ammo, this opens a whole new can of worms. All military ammo is seen as "property of the state". Even parts thereof is viewed as such, so an ashtray manufactured from a artillery shell case can be seen as being stolen property (as in stolen state property) unless one has the aforementioned certificate. The reason for this is that all "doppies" , irrespective of calibre, are recycled for melting down to offset the cost thereof.

I know for a fact that people have been prosecuted for collecting "doppies" from military ranges and attempting to sell it as scrap metal ( even 5.56 and 9mm). The origin of the "doppies" used to make the walking stick in question is almost certainly military in nature. I also see that the handle of the walking stick contains the projectile, which makes it look even more "suspect" to the avarage SAPS member.

Once one gets into large calibres, such as artillery ammo, things get even more complicated. The component parts are supplied seperately(charge, primer, case and projectile in laymans terms). If you read the act it would appear that you would be perfectly entitled to have any of these in your possession as long as they are not all together as this does not make a "cartridge" as defined in the Act untill they are placed in the cannon. I can allmost certainly guarentee you it is illegal to have even one of the component parts in your possession because of the state property issue, nevermind the safety concerns.

I'm not trying to nail perfectly legimate sellers of perfectly legitimate militaria, I just think one should err on the side of caution when dealing with what can be a very sensitive matter.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

But are they actual bullets the walking stick is made from, or just casings?

GPOEL    10
GPOEL
I was recently given this walking stick made from .50 rounds and as far as I know is a fine example of trench art? I would love to hear your opinions on its estimated value? thanks

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4387[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4386[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]4385[/ATTACH]

Hi, Once off items items like that are very difficult to value, but I would guess, after comparing it with similarly made and items of similar size, that it would be worth, currently : R400-R500