Sign in to follow this  
Carel_Electronics

Garmin nuvi 710 GPS - ripped off

Carel_Electronics

I recently bought a Garmin nuvi 710 GPS from HDMI on BOB. Here is a link to the listing (auction already closed, but the link should still work): Car Navigation - Garmin nuvi 710--never be lost again--widescreen navigation-- was sold for R565.00 on 12 Dec at 23:46 by HDMI in Cape Town (ID:84288169)

This is what happened:

I placed several bids on the item as I urgently needed a GPS (mine has been stolen from my car). In the listing you can see that the seller CLEARLY states that the GPS comes with the "ORIGINAL SUCTION MOUNT AND BRACKET" plus there is a picture. Also, it is stated that the GPS comes with a MMC and it has the latest maps of 2012 loaded.

What I got:

1.) I got the GPS, but the problem is that it only switches on, it freezes or shuts down as soon as you go into the menus and start to enter data. Basically it doesn't work at all other that the fact that it switches on.

2.) 2nd I did not receive an original Garmin bracket. I received one of those piratted chinese crap that are twice a huge as the GPS and are not very fun to use,

3.) 3rd The MMC was an original Garmin Maps one, but it was the 2007 version, not 2012.

4.) The seller, HDMI, does not reply to the e-mails I have sent to him.

This is a blatant lie to sell piratted/fake accessories as "Original". What should I do?

Not1CentMore

You can send an email to: communitywatch@bidorbuy.co.za. With the volume of email, phone calls, PM's etc., it does sometimes take a while for an answer, but BoB does get back to you.

Ruthie

Carel_Electronics

A week had gone by without hearing anything from BoB or the seller. I've decided to take the GPS to Garmin and they had repaired it for free. It was only related to software. The seller did not reply to any of his e-mails to date! It's now almost 3 weeks after I purchased the item.

The other problem is - I KNOW that if I rate the seller negative for his ignorance he is going to change his rating of me, but I did pay minutes after the auction closed and I did nothing to deserve a negative rating. This also shows that the ratings system on BoB is also used as a medium to "get back" at someone. How can I avoid this from happening, although I do feel the seller deserves a negative rating?

Vinyl Lady Decals

That would be called revenge rating which is frowned upon by BoB, if he changes his rating, you can appeal the rating with BoB management and they will remove it. You can refer them to this thread as well.

Bob does deal with revenge rating and general rating abuse if it is appealed as this is the only way they know it is happening.

qball

Bennet sent the seller an email on the 7th after receiving your complaint, we are awaiting feedback. We will follow this up. Unfortunately this time of the year is very difficult as many sellers and buyers are on leave, so we deal with a lot of queries of this nature when users are not contactable.

Carel_Electronics
Bennet sent the seller an email on the 7th after receiving your complaint, we are awaiting feedback. We will follow this up. Unfortunately this time of the year is very difficult as many sellers and buyers are on leave, so we deal with a lot of queries of this nature when users are not contactable.

Thanks a million. However I had already gone through the trouble of taking the unit to Garmin (as they do not charge you anything for repair work if they do not have to replace some physical component inside the GPS - which makes them one of the BEST GPS makers out there) since I go to Johannesburg a lot of times, it was only 8km I had to drive on to drop the unit off at their offices and pick it up later during the day. The GPS is now in working order and I had found a bracket for the device. However they told me that the cannot install the latest 2012 maps (which the seller promised in his ad to include) as I would have to pay for this item. It's (tomorrow) exactly 4 weeks after I purchased the GPS.

Is it posibble that BoB just drop this from now, however I do know that I stirred the waters, but I would prefer it to live with what I purchased since I now have what I need ? The maps is something I can buy at a later stage, luckily I do have a Garmap MMC with 2011 maps loaded which fits into the GPS and works. Then I can just leave the rating.

Please reply to the above question. Just something else I have noticed - either HDMI (the seller) have copied his ad from (Auctions Online) or vice versa. I also suspect this is how it happened that I got a 2007 dated Garmap MMC - an original one. I couldn't help to notice that these two ads looks EXACTLY the same (I have seen this particular GPS on BoB many times before):

1.) Auctions Online - Car Navigation - Garmin 710 Loaded With Latest SA Topo & Rec Street Maps+ Tracks4Africa+ POI Incl Fixed & Speed Cams was listed for R995.00 on 11 Jan at 23:45 by Auctions Online in Potchefstroom (ID:87046600)

2.) HDMI - Car Navigation - Garmin nuvi 710--never be lost again--widescreen navigation-- was sold for R565.00 on 12 Dec at 23:46 by HDMI in Cape Town (ID:84288169)

Also - I have no reason to accuse anyone of anything and I am not referring to the above case, however I am just wondering how it is possible to sell GPSes on BoB since most of these older units's maps are NOT free and have to be purchased and these units are being sold for almost the price of the maps... It is VERY easy for buyers to spot a cracked or piratted map on a Garmin GPS.

qball
Thanks a million. However I had already gone through the trouble of taking the unit to Garmin (as they do not charge you anything for repair work if they do not have to replace some physical component inside the GPS - which makes them one of the BEST GPS makers out there) since I go to Johannesburg a lot of times, it was only 8km I had to drive on to drop the unit off at their offices and pick it up later during the day. The GPS is now in working order and I had found a bracket for the device. However they told me that the cannot install the latest 2012 maps (which the seller promised in his ad to include) as I would have to pay for this item. It's (tomorrow) exactly 4 weeks after I purchased the GPS.

Is it posibble that BoB just drop this from now, however I do know that I stirred the waters, but I would prefer it to live with what I purchased since I now have what I need ? The maps is something I can buy at a later stage, luckily I do have a Garmap MMC with 2011 maps loaded which fits into the GPS and works. Then I can just leave the rating.

Please reply to the above question. Just something else I have noticed - either HDMI (the seller) have copied his ad from (Auctions Online) or vice versa. I also suspect this is how it happened that I got a 2007 dated Garmap MMC - an original one. I couldn't help to notice that these two ads looks EXACTLY the same (I have seen this particular GPS on BoB many times before):

1.) Auctions Online - Car Navigation - Garmin 710 Loaded With Latest SA Topo & Rec Street Maps+ Tracks4Africa+ POI Incl Fixed & Speed Cams was listed for R995.00 on 11 Jan at 23:45 by Auctions Online in Potchefstroom (ID:87046600)

2.) HDMI - Car Navigation - Garmin nuvi 710--never be lost again--widescreen navigation-- was sold for R565.00 on 12 Dec at 23:46 by HDMI in Cape Town (ID:84288169)

Also - I have no reason to accuse anyone of anything and I am not referring to the above case, however I am just wondering how it is possible to sell GPSes on BoB since most of these older units's maps are NOT free and have to be purchased and these units are being sold for almost the price of the maps... It is VERY easy for buyers to spot a cracked or piratted map on a Garmin GPS.

The choice of proceeding is entirely yours, we will be happy to continue addressing this issue with the seller concerned, he must supply you with what was advertised.

We can't really comment on the 2 sellers copying each other, many sellers do this. It's up to the seller to report misuse or copying of their listings.

Carel_Electronics

I've not told communitywatch@bidorbuy.co.za about what I am considering (to just leave it). I am starting to think that it might be a good and VERY EXPENSIVE lesson since HDMI or as he is called "Brandon Rupping" is not a verified seller and I have no guarantee that if I send him back the GPS that he will ever refund me - he might just disappear and then I will never see my GPS or the money I've paid again. I've searched on Google and this is what I found: http://forum.bidorbuy.co.za/forum-community-watch/14731-chancer-hdmi-brandon-rupping-cape-town.html so he is an old dog playing the same old tricks. He is ignoring me on purpose in order to spite me.

This sucks, because I've bought another GPS, but this time from WealthByDesign. See the item here: Car Navigation - Garmin Nuvi 760 was sold for R489.00 on 3 Jan at 20:31 by WealthByDesign1979 in Cape Town (ID:86256455)

Guess what - I am back to square one. It's been 18 day sionce I purchased the 2nd GPS and have not yet received it. The guy claims that he had lost the tracking number (I do not know if I should believe this) and he will send me another one (but he just never gets to that point). At least he replies to his mails even though the fact that I should send the same e-mail quite a few times...

Now I do not know what to do further regarding both the 1st and 2nd problem. How safe would it be to send back the GPS, since there is no guarantee I will ever see my refund. Or should I just maybe ask WealthByDesign for a refund (problem is he does not have proof that he sent the item and I do not think he had done the trouble to try and find it, even the post office would be able to help him). Any suggestions (I am still waiting for BoB to respon to the ticket: http://support.bidorbuy.co.za/index.php?/Default/Tickets/Ticket/View/PAH-204-20066)?

qball

Unfortunately the seller is slow to respond, we have sent you return address details today. The seller may have a few negative and neutral ratings, this does not necessarily mean you will not get your money back. The seller faces a host of actions from our side, should he fail to refund you. You also have recourse through Small Claims court to protect and enforce your rights, including the National Consumer Council. We will continue to assist you until you have received your refund.

However, the decision to return the item is now in your court, we have no reason to believe the seller won't refund you as he is reliant on the trade he does on bidorbuy. Anything the seller does to jeopardise that will impact him negatively.

The same can be said for the other seller, we have not received feedback from the seller, so we will consider further actions on the seller's account until they respond.

Thank you again for your patience and understanding.