Sign in to follow this  
dstorm

The Union "Waffle-Plate"

dstorm    10
dstorm

Hello all

I hope to post articles on material that I have knowledge on. I trust that other Stamp Forum members will reciprocate by doing the same.

Union of South Africa. The Waffle Plate (SACC 86c). A printing "variety" that has many a collector stumped.

The Waffle Plate is actually a nick-name for the Coarse Screen printing (5th issue) of the 1½d Gold Mine Issue. Some philatelists prefer to refer to this as a Plate 5. Quoting from the Union Handbook: “ Examined under a magnifier, many parts of the design stands out like a series of Pearl Shaped Beads, which together with their grid-like pattern has gained this the name of the Waffle–plate production.

This issue had no Cylinder Numbers!

I am illustrating Issue 5 (waffle plate / coarse screen) on top and Issue 6 (fine screen) at the bottom.

Looking at the Bottom Left or Bottom Right detail (green) the difference in printings should be quite obvious.

korrie    10
korrie

Hi Jacques

Thanks for this info

This "waffle" info had me baffled for a long time

Seeing your pics really indicated what a waffle looked like

Funny that I never accociated with the cream/ice cream before

Never to ancient to learn

thanks a lot

If you have some of these wafflles with cream or without cream for sale please advise me

Regards

Korrie

dstorm    10
dstorm

Hello Korrie

Thanks for your reply.

By the way, the SACC states that the Waffle-Plate is from the FIRST printing. This is incorrect.

Yes, I have some Waffles in stock, but definitely not with cream, nor ice-cream.

One the one hand, I believe that the catalogue value of the Waffle-Plate is somewhat arbitrary. The current catalogue value is R180-00. Why? This stamp is much scarcer than many other stamps with a higher catalogue value. I would gladly swop you some RSA First Definitive Control Blocks catalogued at R300-00 upwards for a pair of Waffle Plates. Or just compare this catalogue value to the value of a pair of London used 2d’s. Or a SUPERB MINT set of 1938 Voortrekkers (SACC 79/80). Ludicrous to say the least. In fact, I will offer you 3 Voortrekker sets for one pair of Waffles.

But on the other hand, should you have a sharp eye, you could pick up these stamps as the normal ones, paying a few Rand per pair.

Regards

Jacques

2dblue    10
2dblue

Thanks for the image - it really helps sometimes to actually see the variety then to read about it in a book - In this regard i am refering to the Union Handbook