Sign in to follow this  
Jacqueline0923

Primadonna on clothes section of bob

ka69

I've seen a couple of sellers with shipping charges similar to those charged by this seller, but will refrain from naming them as yet.

Most of them feature on the R1 items, so one starts to wonder if they don't include the price of the item in the shipping. Any amount over R1 is just plain profit, but I may be wrong.

Found DHL quoting US$ 15.90 shipping from China claiming 5-7 workdays for delivery (small parcels) on another site.That is about R142 at the present exchange rate.

My items seem to be floating around JHB International Mail Centre at present. The waiting drives me nuts....

primadonna 2010

shipping discussion and a sellers view of drop-shipping

I'm sure Primadonna is somewhere here on the forum, or can someone please ask her to join the shipping discussion. I would still like some clarification as to the shipping charges from her....

Good day,

I saw your question on bidorbuy. Our shipping charges are similar to other drop-shippers on bidorbuy. For the first item on some goods we charge R350 and for additional items R275. On other items we charge R150 and for additional items R125. The reason for the high charges on additional items is that items are sometimes shipped from different suppliers because we are drop-shippers.

We are currently in the process of reviewing our shipping charges so that we only use express couriers like DHL. The majority of our negative ratings are due to shipping time and delays. We do not really compete with sellers that have local stock, we compete with sellers that are "based" in Hong Kong. Unfortunately we all know that they are not really based in Hong Kong (most of them have SA bank accounts).

In order for us to compete we have to have similar terms to theirs. We play open cards with our buyers, our shipping terms and conditions are stated in the add. We also put it in huge red bold font that items are shipped from an international location.

We try our best to make it clear that we do not keep stock on hand. Unfortunately people do not always read the adds. Later on we will get negative ratings and once you have a negative rating is is very difficult to get rid of it.

It becomes a trend where people that are frustrated will read your ratings and if they see someone saying that there is no communication they will say the same.

I digress, however it is also important that we bring the views of a seller to the forum. It is very different for sellers that keep local stock and for those that drop-ship. As local seller you ship the item and in 5 days the buyer has the item. Everyone is happy. As a drop-shipper the buyer is waiting for long periods. We deal with untrustworthy suppliers e.g. the item may get shipped to the wrong buyer as was the case with ka69. the item may be delayed by customs in China or in SA. Then we deal with SAPO and the fact that they do not send notifications on time. This means that we deal with a buyer for a much longer period of time sometimes up to a month. The buyer also gets frustrated because according to the buyer they have given us money and all they care about is that they receive it. The buyer is right of course, but is is tricky at times to find a balance.

We had a period last year during May-June where items shipped with China airmail were not cleared into SA for more than a month. It was a general problem, bidorbuy was aware of this. We tried our best to inform all our customers and eventually re-shipped their items at our own costs. Some honest buyers returned the additional items or paid for these. The majority of buyers did not and that is the risk we take as drop-shippers. We received many negative ratings for that and we are still sitting with those negative rating because despite our efforts to resolve matters, the buyers felt that we were responsible and refused to change ratings or did not care to go through the effort.

I am just trying to contribute to the discussion with different view points and try and explain why we charge more for shipping. The amount of work that goes into drop-shipping exceeds the work that goes into local stock selling.

We also have different dynamics that we deal with, so in actaul fact we should call it shipping, handling and service fees.

Kind regards

Douglas

ka69

What Primadonna says above is true, most of the other sellers who charge as much (some even more) are based in China(or claim to be).

Besides the amount of work being more (I think some sellers will argue this) I think the risk you guys run is also greater to a certain extent. There is now a third party in the process (your supplier) and you run a risk of being stiffed by them. This leaves you with no stock and an irate seller.

Sellers of local stock might argue that they can also be stiffed by suppliers, but as they sell/auction items in stock at least they should have fewer irate buyers on hand.

If the risks are greater, why do it at all?

GREAT NEWS!! My items have left JHB and are in transit to me, and this time it appears to be addressed to me!!

Edited by ka69
Added info

voldermort
My item(s) seem to have reached SA.

I was wondering how it takes 3 days to reach SA from Hong Kong (18/01 to 21/01).

I assume it is by airmail; do they use geriatric seagulls or is it just admin delays? :smile:

Do any of the other wise folk on here use Hong Kong Post and can they maybe shed some light on this.

I have absolutely no idea how the GPO works BUT a few months ago on a Friday morning I posted 3 parcels, one to Durban - one to Pretoria & one to UK........you could have struck me dead with a feather when on the following Tuesday (basically 2 & 1/2 working days) the UK buyer had received his parcel, was very happy, rated me positive & praised SAPO no end.

The 2 items posted to Durban & Pretoria only arrived at their destinations on the Thursday.

So even though it is not the norm to be so quick (usually taking 10 - 15 working days for overseas mail) it can & does happen, and if it happens from here to there than I imagine it can happen from there to here as well.

ka69

Ok, this thread started with someone who was concerned that this seller may be a scammer and eventually got sort of sidetracked into all kinds of other issues, such as shipping costs. I jumped in because I was (at the time) also struggling to get what I paid for from them.

I went and collected my items from the PO this morning and I am satisfied with what I received, so this will most probably be my last post on this thread.

So, is this seller a scammer? According to me: NO.

Edited by ka69