Sign in to follow this  
zerohour

Interesting watch info

zerohour    10
zerohour

As I specialize and have been collecting watches for many years I am perhaps a little more clued up than the average buyer of watches.

In the early days of fake watches the really well known brands such as Rolex and Omega were mainly faked, today just about any watch brand is faked including lower end watches like Casio, Seiko, also brands like Longines, Tissot, Burberry . The average buyer of these would probably never know unless they had it checked out at the agents and the sellers know this.

Having spent many hours doing research on this I have got evidence that many fake watches especially brands like Casio, Tissot, Burberry, longines and Rado are being sold in online in SA , in the case of Casio I have spoken to their local agent here in SA and they have confirmed this, some fake Casio watches actually use the same movement as the genuine but the case, bracelet and all other parts are faked.

When asking some sellers and presenting evidence my questions are quickly removed I even recently told a seller I was going to buy one of their watches and would then have it checked out and if proved it was a fake would they give my money back, the questions were removed and I was told my bids would also be removed.

So be careful, do your research, check eBay prices if a genuine particular watch costs 5k new in Europe and is being sold new for 2k or even less something is wrong and also do Google picture searches and research the watches being sold and as the old saying goes it if seems too good to be true…..

Genuine sellers are not included in this critique I hasten to add and also BOB as it is becoming increasingly difficult to spot these items.

Caveat emptor

wayjen    10
wayjen

What is the difference between a genuine watch being sold at inflated prices and one being sold at a realistic price? Why is a watch being sold at 5k considered genuine compared to one sold for 2k?

Potato prices are sometimes R50 a 7kg pocket but I can buy a 7kg pocket for R35, give or take a few R here and there and they both genuine potatoes.

zerohour    10
zerohour
What is the difference between a genuine watch being sold at inflated prices and one being sold at a realistic price? Why is a watch being sold at 5k considered genuine compared to one sold for 2k?

Potato prices are sometimes R50 a 7kg pocket but I can buy a 7kg pocket for R35, give or take a few R here and there and they both genuine potatoes.

Well for starters replica watches are against the law, counterfeits are intended to defraud the buyer plain and simple

Quote: If you had a successful watch brand would you want other people making copies? making money off all your hard work? cheapening your brand because the copies are an inferior product?

Edited by zerohour

wayjen    10
wayjen

Overpriced items rip off unaware buyers.

mrmouse    11
mrmouse
Well for starters replica watches are against the law, counterfeits are intended to defraud the buyer plain and simple

Quote: If you had a successful watch brand would you want other people making copies? making money off all your hard work? cheapening your brand because the copies are an inferior product?

The CEO of Rolex once said , seeing counterfeit Rolex watch warms his heart because it means the brand is doing something right and is in demand .I too collect watches and its usually very easy to spot the big brand fakes ,the cheapies ,who cares, thats why they are cheap . once again if it looks to good to be true it probably is .I have generic watches that are far more accurate ( I only wear automatic movements ) than my big brand auto`s .

Just Beachin    10
Just Beachin

Way back when, in the 80's, when I had money, I bought a Rolex in Thailand for $1. I knew exactly what I was getting, a fake and it looked good, so much so my maid stole it!

Zerohour, (by the way a name of a hit song by the plimsoles in the 80's), I agree with you...buyer beware!:biggrin:

wayjen    10
wayjen

When is a fake a fake?

When the iphone came out it was the talk of the town then someone went and made the i9, and its variations, and this was a clone of the iphone then the sciphone was made which was a clone of the clone of the iphone and all these had a market in their own right even sold here on BoB.

mrmouse    11
mrmouse

when it stops working and you send it to the official agent for a service :shock:

Just Beachin    10
Just Beachin

In this disposable day and age, buy a new one, who really wears a watch anymore unless the are trying to impress someone who is impressed by watches? Sorry I just don't get it? clocks in our car, clock on our phones, clocks everywhere...you can't take it with you when you go,and your grandfathers watch means nothing, unless it's gold.

geewhizz    20
geewhizz

I am not sure in the case of new watches but where old watches are concerned,

ignorance of a product may lead to someone listing a fake when they honestly think it is genuine

If I buy old watches,whether they are Rolex,seiko etc. I would check the Rolex before listing it because most people know there are fake Rolex watches.,

Where the old seiko etc are concerned I would probably just list them(Did not know they made fakes as well.)

Watches are not my speciality but I often see items listed that users genuinely think are antique or old but were made recently or within the last 20 years.

Yet they are listed in good faith.

Is this not the reason we have a forum? Users should be encouraged to use the forum where they can ask other users,in the know,about certain products.It seems that the forum is used by very few users.The coin thread has always been kept alive --Why not the rest of the threads.

Most of the regulars just waffle most of the time (Okay guys me too):cool::biggrin::whistling:

Ofcourse we have the few and far between who deliberately list fakes but this should be reported if spotted.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

Well said, Pam!

wayjen    10
wayjen

We don't waffle we banter.

geewhizz    20
geewhizz

:blink1:

Ofcourse !! My memory eludes me.

ATA STAMP CENTRE    10
ATA STAMP CENTRE

Only thing WAYNE knows about waffles is how to eat them :bigsmile:

With genuine cream or nagemaakte room ,maak nie saak nie!!

wayjen    10
wayjen
Only thing WAYNE knows about waffles is how to eat them :bigsmile:

With genuine cream or nagemaakte room ,maak nie saak nie!!

waffle covered with banter is heaven sent.

wayjen    10
wayjen

Back on topic.

Are watches with winding mechanisms more sought after/valuable then ones with batteries? Which of the 2 are easier to copy?

amcintyre    10
amcintyre
some fake Casio watches actually use the same movement as the genuine but the case, bracelet and all other parts are faked.

I heard that it got so bad, with these rip off fake watches, that the fake Casios now have a genuine movement, a geniune case, a genuine bracelet and a geniune other parts as well. It is almost impossible to differentiate between the real thing and the faked one! :nuts:

wayjen    10
wayjen

If watches like clothing and shoes are mass produced in sweatshops across the world then what stops someone pocketing a few items to make at home and sell at half the price on the blackmarket?

ATA STAMP CENTRE    10
ATA STAMP CENTRE

I once had a platinum rolex (when platinum was much more valuable than gold many moons ago) but everyone thought it was silver so i had it goldplated!!:oops::toung:

alloway65    10
alloway65

I have to admit many eons ago I used to bring back fake watches, mainly Rolex, when I was on business trips to the East...I never sold them just gave them to friends as fun gifts.:angel:

wayjen    10
wayjen

I always wanted/liked windup watches and also years ago had a fake windup watch but when I caught the winding dial on the underside of a packing shelf and it ripped off I had to throw it away. My current watch is in a drawer next to my bed and what I do I wait when the watch date is the same on the calendar then I wear it cause I am too lazy to wind the watch to the correct time AND DATE.

geewhizz    20
geewhizz
I always wanted/liked windup watches and also years ago had a fake windup watch but when I caught the winding dial on the underside of a packing shelf and it ripped off I had to throw it away. My current watch is in a drawer next to my bed and what I do I wait when the watch date is the same on the calendar then I wear it cause I am too lazy to wind the watch to the correct time AND DATE.

Really Wayne that is the height of laziness and I thought I was bad.I love going out on calls to buy stock-They call it the chase--but when it comes to listing it and the process that goes with it--I avoid it.

I dont know where my motivation has gone.All I do is buy!! buy!! Buy!! and get poorer by the day:rolleyes:

:rolleyes: If you pay me I will wind your watch.

Edited by geewhizz

wayjen    10
wayjen

I have a calendar from 2009 on my wall, I have just enough energy to change the dates with a crayon, I have no energy to get a free one from the local shopkeeper.

geewhizz    20
geewhizz
I have a calendar from 2009 on my wall, I have just enough energy to change the dates with a crayon, I have no energy to get a free one from the local shopkeeper.

The laziness gets worse and worse.:laugh::laugh:

Hubby always goes to the pensioners reunion Christmas lunch at Old Mutual every year and gets the Old Mutual new year calendar

I will make sure he gets you one next year.

wayjen    10
wayjen
The laziness gets worse and worse.:laugh::laugh:

Hubby always goes to the pensioners reunion Christmas lunch at Old Mutual every year and gets the Old Mutual new year calendar

I will make sure he gets you one next year.

My calendar says the world ends on the 31 December, do I really need a calendar where I'm going?